News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: King's Putter History
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »
Seems like the immediate Bay area, Sac Town, Orange County, tru Nor Cal and Spokane are the areas with little representation....

Jeff Schley

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2018, 06:12:11 PM »
Updated .... missing some hosts.

Is there any rhyme or reason it is always on the West Coast?  Most guys live there?

Does someone just volunteer to organize or certain winners have to decide in subsequent years?
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2018, 06:31:14 PM »
It started as nocal vs socal.
Organizers are volunteers.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 08:09:58 PM »
The first King’s Putter was organized by the Emperor himself Tommy Nacarrato, a mainstay of the early gca period. Some of the No. Cal. Guys had teed it up together and it seemed like a good idea to get together with the So. Cal guys for a friendly Ryder Cup style match. No strokes were given just a report of holes won and the outcome was quite close with No.Cal victorious. Tom Huckaby and Ed Getka herded the northern group. As the only San Diego resident I hosted a bbq on Saturday night; 28 of the 32 participants came to the house; quite intimidating inviting 31 strangers over! A good time was had by all as we had 3kegs of beer; 2homebrews and Ballast Points award winning Calico Amber. We also had a big wine drinking contingent wihich quickly consumed the 4 bottles I had purchased, Gib Papazian brought several Zins and a request was made late in the evening to break into the wine cellar for a few more bottles. As I remember we went through 60 chicken wings, 3 Tri tips, 3 pork loins and 3 corned beefs! It was natural for the north to host the next Event and we have been rotating from south to north ever since. There was no Event in 2007 as Tommy was trying to negotiate a reasonable rate at La Purisima and 2 other courses; we couldn’t get the right price so there was no Event that year. We’ve had as many as 40 and as few as 8 participants.

After the success of the KP other areas started their own regional competitions: the Dixie Cup in the South run by Mike Whitaker, the Buda Cup in the UK, the Midwest Mashie and the Summer Ball. In answer to your earlier question I have attended all but 2 KP’s; I was out of town for the Stevenson’s Ranch outing and the Memorial Day date for Truckee didn’t fit my schedule.

We are running out of attractive public venues on the West Coast, you need an attractive venue to stir up participation. Of course if a generous member were to offer a private venue we would have no trouble getting folks to come. Traditionally we play on the weekend with side trips attached on either side. For instance I’ve played Alldara in Wa., Royal Colwood and Victoria in BC and Santa Maria CC as add ones.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Hendren

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2018, 08:57:36 PM »
The Pajaro Valley round in KP II was retro equipment (not kickory) only. Owner Pete Galea provided sleeves of balata Titleists and went under the hood the previous day to take the iconic group photo at Pasa.  I played with Shivas, Huckster and The beloved Tiger Bernhardt at Pasa and Barney, The Fortsonator and Mike Male Model Benham at Pajaro where we could not agree on who had been partners when the match was over.

At Pasa Gib drew hole designs with a pencil on the linen tablecloths and Scot Clem drew sketches of green sites. Waitress was pissed. I still have the shirt I won for closest to the pin on #8.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:59:39 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2018, 11:35:22 PM »

At Pasa Gib drew hole designs with a pencil on the linen tablecloths and Scot Clem drew sketches of green sites. Waitress was pissed. I still have the shirt I won for closest to the pin on #8.

That's pretty tame compared to the show Gib put on at the SLO event in highbrow restaurant simulating Dr. Gray and female companion.
 :o
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2018, 12:47:16 AM »
Gentlemen,
Who was the guy who wrote like a Mexican bandiito and went under the moniker of Taco Ramirez or some such thing.
From memory this sharp-shooter wrote a fantastic expose of Dr. Gray's romantic inclinations!  'Twas very funny and good writing.
He did penned other vignettes as well but, sadly, I have lost track of them.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2018, 01:06:19 AM »
Colin,

I believe you are referring to Noel Freeman. Not sure he ever met Dr. Gray. I think you are remembering Gib's writing.

JLahrman

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2018, 01:22:29 AM »

Minor point, Old Macdonald was open for the KP in 2011, we played it.

Gentlemen,
Who was the guy who wrote like a Mexican bandiito and went under the moniker of Taco Ramirez or some such thing.

I believe was Tuco, as in the character from The Good The Bad and The Ugly.

astavrides

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2018, 07:37:45 AM »
2006 was organized by Tommy Naccarato. We played The Palms GC too.

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2018, 11:14:22 AM »
I was amazed we only had 15 participants last year.  Great courses and better event!  If we could have only gotten a 16th player?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2018, 11:19:18 AM »
Dan,

There lies the problem! 6 World Class golf courses, unlimited food and drink for $150 and we can only get 16 to commit; the one no show left us at 15. You'll never get a better deal at Bandon than that. Gray sure knows how to host a fantastic event!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2018, 11:30:52 AM »
Bandon representative “sir you had a double room, that is the rate per night.”

Me “I’ve never even met the guy, not my fault he didn’t show.”

Bandon “you’re rooming with a guy you’ve never met?”

Me “...well played, but...”

Even if I couldn’t talk them into a half price room the event would have been worth it.  I fear I won’t be able to reproduce such a perfect weekend of golf at Bandon.

Mike Benham

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »
Using Google Advanced search you can find the threads easily enough ... many of the photos that were hosted on Photobucket are NLE

2010 Highlights:  [size=78%]http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,44454.0.html[/size]

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jeff Schley

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2018, 12:23:23 PM »
Dan,

There lies the problem! 6 World Class golf courses, unlimited food and drink for $150 and we can only get 16 to commit; the one no show left us at 15. You'll never get a better deal at Bandon than that. Gray sure knows how to host a fantastic event!

Wait ..... you guys only had to pay $150 for 6 rounds there?  And food/drink?  Any only 16 guys came?  HOLY shiznits!
- Steve Prefontaine

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »
No, you misunderstood. We paid for lodging and green fees; the bill for my buddy and I was $2200 including car rental and airfare from San Diego.  We got all of our food and drink for $150. Still a great deal.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »
No, you misunderstood. We paid for lodging and green fees; the bill for my buddy and I was $2200 including car rental and airfare from San Diego.  We got all of our food and drink for $150. Still a great deal.

Gotcha... so take out maybe 400 bucks for air/car portion and you are at 700 for 6 rounds and lodging for 3 days I assume.  Tack on 150 for f/b and that is outstanding to play several top 100 courses.
- Steve Prefontaine

William_G

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2018, 10:02:08 PM »
Dan,

thank you Pete with the addition of ECC to the 5 Bandon courses we played

Bill McBride (RIP) inspired me to help host the KP, he was a gamer

Bandon could be a permanent location for any event every year, it's so great

always happy to host
It's all about the golf!

William_G

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2018, 10:07:32 PM »
Bandon representative “sir you had a double room, that is the rate per night.”

Me “I’ve never even met the guy, not my fault he didn’t show.”

Bandon “you’re rooming with a guy you’ve never met?”

Me “...well played, but...”

Even if I couldn’t talk them into a half price room the event would have been worth it.  I fear I won’t be able to reproduce such a perfect weekend of golf at Bandon.

sorry about that Dan

it's always bad when someone no shows without notice at the last second

what a FUBAR

we can reproduce that weekend anytime you want  :)

always happy to host
It's all about the golf!

Mike Benham

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2018, 11:10:29 PM »

Mike Benham

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2018, 11:11:38 PM »

David_Elvins

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2018, 03:13:29 AM »

2008 was organised by Ed Getka.  Jordan Wall was the special guest.  The event also included a round at Pasatiempo on the last day.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2018, 03:25:15 AM »

2008 was organised by Ed Getka.  Jordan Wall was the special guest.  The event also included a round at Pasatiempo on the last day.

done!
- Steve Prefontaine

Garland Bayley

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
2013 San Luis Obispo CC was used for four-ball matchs.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2018, 01:52:59 AM »
The Pajaro Valley round in KP II was retro equipment (not kickory) only. Owner Pete Galea provided sleeves of balata Titleists and went under the hood the previous day to take the iconic group photo at Pasa.  I played with Shivas, Huckster and The beloved Tiger Bernhardt at Pasa and Barney, The Fortsonator and Mike Male Model Benham at Pajaro where we could not agree on who had been partners when the match was over.

Michael, at Pajaro you were playing Barney and I was playing Benham (aka Clark Gable) in singles matches. Benham smoothed his persimmon and fizzed those balatas around the course like he was Tony Lema.  You and Barney got to watch Benham humble me. 

I'll never forget meeting Gib in the dining room at Pasatiempo and within 5 minutes he and I were having an amazing shot by shot walkthrough of NGLA where he was absolutely mutilating the table linen in permanent pen drawing the hole templates.  At that time, very few had actually played NGLA in our group and Gib with his unstoppable personality had taken over the room with me egging him on.  KPII was the first time I had met any of you outside of The Emperor himself. 

I Played KP 2-5 and captained the SoCal squad at KPIV at Stevenson Ranch.  I really need to attend one again.  It's been too long.  Would love to meet some new people and see some old faces.  It'd be great to reminisce about those we've lost too.  Huntley, Tiger, and now Bill. Time is cruel.  While I only spent a handful of days with those three gentlemen, I felt I knew them well due to the strength of their character and the power of their personalities. 

Great times are had at a King's Putter event.  Thanks for starting this thread to the OP. It has reminded me of how fun they were.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:00:32 AM by Jeff Fortson »
#nowhitebelt

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back