News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Blain

Re: The Top 100 Donald Ross Courses
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2018, 10:30:14 AM »
I'm always a little surprised at the love Mimosa Hills is given.  I much preferred Miami Valley for example. 

I think Lulu might actually suffer a bit from its "little gem" reputation.   There are some very good golf holes there. 

I have Chattanooga CC and Cherokee CC in the Volunteer state a little lower than most here as well - a full notch below Memphis CC which retains far more of its original design. 

Delighted to see Teugega highly rated notwithstanding its conditioning and maintenance.

I find Idle Hour stronger than most as well, but I suspect is not as widely visited as many others.

Any love for Pinehurst #1 or #3?

I'm really enjoying everyone's thought.  How wonderful to have such extensive work of a single golf architect so that virtually everyone is in a position to provide meaningful comment. 
Mimosa Hills IMO is an example of what I call the quintessential Ross course.  I find it fascinating how much of "small town America" boasts great old courses (hidden gems) and Morganton, NC fits that description. It's a smallish town that once thrived and MHCC I'm sure was a happening place during the heyday. Also, being the home course of Billy Joe Patton adds to its legacy. Yes a few holes, especially on the second nine were over treed but recently the club has been removing trees and making improvements.  Which I find impressive giving the current economic situation at the club (declining membership numbers, welcoming outside play, etc.). Having said all that it is a course my wife and I drive 1 hour, 20 minutes to play multiple times each year because it's a fun course with low key vibe.

As for Teugega I can only say the course hired a new superintendent last year, Ian Daniels. He is a young father of three and excited for the opportunity. Ian doesn't possess a wealth of Ross knowledge but has expressed an interest and desire to learn more. I am not certain to his budgetary constraints but I believe given a little more time you should see improvement in the conditioning and maintenance of the course.

Cheers,

I played Teugega a couple of times last year and thought the conditioning was fine. In fact it's a lot better than it used to be years ago. Ian Daniels is doing a fine job. The greens were absolutely pure. The bunkers could use a bit of work but I think that is a bit of a budget issue. TCC gets better every year...

Speaking of Ross in upstate NY why does Brook-Lea CC in Rochester get no love? Maybe because it's on the other side of town from Oak Hill, Monroe, CC of Rochester? Terrific course....

Jon Claydon

« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2018, 10:57:58 AM »
I'll nominate Exmoor as a Doak 6.  Beverly is better but it's close. 

Also Old Elm is outstanding, especially after the recent work.  Would rank higher. 

Ira Fishman

« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2018, 04:52:45 PM »
As a Chicago area native, I am curious as to how Ross ended up designing so many courses in the area.  I remember playing some in my youth that would not make this list, but were good courses (LaGrange, Oak Park, Hinsdale).

Thanks,

Ira

Michael Moore

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »
My devotion to Maine golf and fond memories of a long afternoon win out over my distaste for the numbers. Tom, is York Golf & Tennis Ross enough to be on this list?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Terry Lavin

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2018, 09:13:14 PM »
As a Chicago area native, I am curious as to how Ross ended up designing so many courses in the area.  I remember playing some in my youth that would not make this list, but were good courses (LaGrange, Oak Park, Hinsdale).

Thanks,

Ira

Ross buffed up a lot of designs by Bendelow and others, to great effect in some instances. As for the three west suburban courses you mention, one might cobble six from each as a candidate to stand among the best Ross courses but none of the three truly stands out.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ira Fishman

« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2018, 09:17:20 PM »
Terry,

Agree regarding those courses, but what brought Ross to Chicago at the outset? A particular commission? A patron? Easy money?

Ira

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2018, 10:59:04 PM »
Ira:

The easy answer is Old Elm (and the money behind it).  Everything after that were attempts to catch a rising star.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Donnie Beck

« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2018, 08:26:48 AM »
Shennecossett's original routing is easily a solid 7 and should definitely be included in Ross's Top 100 courses. In it's current state it is still one of my favorite local courses but I would only give it a at best a rating of 5.  Tom asked for a list of Top 100 Ross courses not a list of Mungeam courses so IMO Shennecossett has to be added to the list.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2018, 08:52:43 AM »
Donnie,

I'm right with you.  Shennecossett is really enjoyable.  There are some terrific holes out there and even with the new ones (that definitely detract from the experience), I'd put Shennecossett at the same level as Timuquana (one I played recently) and close to Broadmoor (my home course). 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2018, 09:05:51 AM »
Shennecossett's original routing is easily a solid 7 and should definitely be included in Ross's Top 100 courses. In it's current state it is still one of my favorite local courses but I would only give it a at best a rating of 5.  Tom asked for a list of Top 100 Ross courses not a list of Mungeam courses so IMO Shennecossett has to be added to the list.

So you're saying Shennecossett WAS one of Ross's top 100 courses, but ISN'T now.  [Which is where we had it.]

Josh Tarble's logic could be used to put another 40 courses into the top 100 list, but there is only room for 100.

***  We could have a vote on this list for everyone on the board who's interested, if someone wants to pursue that.  I don't have the time or the inclination to take it to that level.  This Confidential Guide - based list is good enough for what I was aiming for, which was to try and sort out what would be the 100th best Donald Ross course.

It turns out it is a course that we think is a 5+ on the Doak Scale, that at least someone would give a 6.  Which is VERY impressive to me. I would guess there are less than 1000 courses in the world that my co-authors and I would give a 6 on the Doak Scale, and maybe 1000 more to which someone else would assign a 6.  So Ross has designed between 5 and 10% of the best courses in the world, on his own.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »
The next question I think is what are the common elements of Ross Courses that make them so appealing to many people.  Of the ones I have played, the fact that the green sites seem so natural and logical is at the top of my list of positive, common elements. I would surmise that this is linked to routing that also makes the best unforced use of the land.

Ira

Tom_Doak

« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2018, 09:39:50 AM »
The next question I think is what are the common elements of Ross Courses that make them so appealing to many people.  Of the ones I have played, the fact that the green sites seem so natural and logical is at the top of my list of positive, common elements. I would surmise that this is linked to routing that also makes the best unforced use of the land.

Ira

Green sites = routing.

I think what Ross was best at was doing routings inside a rectangular site.  He had a knack for mixing up the direction and flow of holes, finding ways to include diagonals, and generally avoiding back-and-forth routings unless the contour [Inverness] was good enough to overcome that.

Donnie Beck

« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »

So you're saying Shennecossett WAS one of Ross's top 100 courses, but ISN'T now.  [Which is where we had it.]

Josh Tarble's logic could be used to put another 40 courses into the top 100 list, but there is only room for 100.

***  We could have a vote on this list for everyone on the board who's interested, if someone wants to pursue that.  I don't have the time or the inclination to take it to that level.  This Confidential Guide - based list is good enough for what I was aiming for, which was to try and sort out what would be the 100th best Donald Ross course.

It turns out it is a course that we think is a 5+ on the Doak Scale, that at least someone would give a 6.  Which is VERY impressive to me. I would guess there are less than 1000 courses in the world that my co-authors and I would give a 6 on the Doak Scale, and maybe 1000 more to which someone else would assign a 6.  So Ross has designed between 5 and 10% of the best courses in the world, on his own.

Shennecossett is a gem!

As far as I know, out of all of the courses Ross built, his only links style courses were Shennecossett and Seminole. The 1919 Ross routing was left pretty much intact until it was sold to the town in 1969. Over time bunkers were filled to speed play as a muni but it was still an under-rated gem (IMO one of the top Muni's in the country) until the town did a land swap with Pfizer in 1997 and hired Mark Mungeam to build 4 new holes. Unfortunately to fit in the new holes 7 original Ross holes were lost. It is still a very good golf course and worth playing today, but the original was something really special that didn't get the credit it deserved.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
Here are the 85 Ross courses I've played that I would rate 5 or better.  Hope it helps.

Alamance5 Kennett Square5
Aronimink7 Lake Sunapee5
Augusta CC6 Linville 6
Barton Hills6 Lu Lu5
Bedford Springs7 Metacomet5
Belleview Biltmore5 Miami Valley5
Beverly7 Mid Pines7
Biltmore Forest6 Mimosa Hills6
Broadmoor (IN)6 Minikahda7
Brookside8 Monroe6
Cape Fear5 Mountain Ridge7
Carolina7 Myers Park6
Catawba5 Northland8
Cedar Rapids8 Oak Hill (East)5
Charles River6 Oak Hill (West)6
Charlotte6 OaklandHills(S)7
Chattanooga5 Oyster Harbors6
Cherokee5 Pinehurst #29
Chester Valley5 Pine Needles 6
Chevy Chase5 Plainfield7
Columbus5 Raleigh6
Congress Lake7 Ravisloe6
CC of Asheville5 Rhode Island6
CC of Buffalo8 Roaring Gap7
CC of York5 Rolling Rock7
East Lake6 The Sagamore6
Essex County9 Salem7
Forsyth5 Schuylkill6
Fountain Head5 Scioto6
Franklin Hills7 Sedgefield5
French Lick7 Seminole9
Glens Falls6 Shaker Heights6
Greensboro CC5 Southern Pines5
Grove Park Inn5 Timuquana6
Gulph Mills7 Torresdale5
Highlands6 Vesper6
Holston Hills8 Wannamoisett9
Hope Valley7 Whitensville7
Hyannisport6 White Bear8
Hyde Park5 Winchester6
Idle Hour5 Woodhill6
Interlachen8 Worcester6
Inverness6

I love French Lick. I’d give it a solid 6 and put it in the same league as Broadmoor (IN,) Holston, East Lake, and Idle Hour.

I’ll mention Belle Meade in Nashville, but Doak 5 at best. I think it falls on the second 100....

Greetings Nigel.  Based upon extensive research by a member, it appears H. H. Barker was Belle Meade's architect.  Perhaps Ross had a hand in relocating a couple of holes, but any work he did has likely been plowed under by RTJ and most recently Rees.  It is also possible that Gary Roger Baird did a little work between the two Jones.

Hope to come visit this year.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Martin

« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2018, 05:28:24 PM »

Shennecossett is a gem!

As far as I know, out of all of the courses Ross built, his only links style courses were Shennecossett and Seminole. The 1919 Ross routing was left pretty much intact until it was sold to the town in 1969. Over time bunkers were filled to speed play as a muni but it was still an under-rated gem (IMO one of the top Muni's in the country) until the town did a land swap with Pfizer in 1997 and hired Mark Mungeam to build 4 new holes. Unfortunately to fit in the new holes 7 original Ross holes were lost. It is still a very good golf course and worth playing today, but the original was something really special that didn't get the credit it deserved.

Donnie-I agree with everything you said regarding Shennecossett and again the Mungeam holes don't fit with what was originally there. There is nothing special about his holes on the other side of Plant Street with the exception of the green site on 16. That said I love to play there especially in the Winter and Eric Morrison does a great job in taking care of and presenting the golf course. What is left of the Ross holes is fantastic.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 05:31:56 PM by Tim Martin »

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2018, 09:09:32 PM »
I was inspired to cross reference this with the Golfweek Classic lists. I used the 2017 top 100 and the 2016 next 100.

There are four courses that GW ranks in the top 200 that weren't listed in the top 100 Ross courses:

Wykagyl (96 on GW list)
Cape Fear (187)
Chevy Chase (189)
CC of York (194)

The thing I thought was really impressive is that in the GW top 200, Ross designed 63 courses. That's a pretty good percentage.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2018, 09:26:47 PM »
These lists beg the question, "When is a Ross a Ross?" Just for fun I dragged out my Chevy Chase history book. Ross did indeed design a course at CC. It wasn't too many years later that Allsion came in for a complete  redesign. Since then many other hands have been there. There is no Ross left. So who designed it?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2018, 04:48:06 PM »
Tommy, that's a question that needs to be answered about six times in Minnesota. The only original Ross is Woodhill, so no problem there. He totally redesigned Northland (orig. Ward Ames, possible Bendalow expansion), Minikahda (orig. Watson) and Interlachen (orig. Watson,) so he rightly gets credit for those. He replaced four of the original Willie Park holes at Minneapolis GC and worked extensively on the others, so that's a Ross, in most opinions. And WBYC is probably not a Ross, because there's no discernible, documented evidence of what he did to William Watson's original layout. However, we know he was there and did something, and the members have been calling it a Ross for about a hundred years, so there's that...
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Matt MacIver

« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2018, 06:57:05 AM »
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:26:10 PM by Matt MacIver »

john_stiles

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2018, 06:01:05 PM »
Brad Becken asked me to post his list of his 100 favorite Ross courses. He ranks his top 25. The next 75 are in alphabetical order.  In October, 2017 Brad completed his eight year quest to play all 359 Ross courses that still exist in the US and Canada. Brad is on Board of Directors of the Donald Ross Society.

Donald Ross Top 100 Courses
Top 25
1 Seminole GC
2 Highlands CC (NC)
3 White Bear YC
4 East Lake GC
5 Glens Falls CC
6 Worcester CC
7 Salem CC
8 Idle Hour CC
9 Bald Peak Colony Club
10 Barton Hills CC
11 Essex County Club
12 Wannamoisett CC
13 Pinehurst #2
14 Rosedale GC (Canada)
15 Aronimink GC
16 Oak Hill CC-East
17 Inverness Club
18 Holston Hills CC
19 Concord CC
20 Interlachen CC
21 Charlotte CC
22 Philadelphia Cricket Club-Wissahickon
23 Oakland Hills - South
24  Scioto CC
25 Mountain Ridge CC

Next 75, Not Ranked In Order
Allegheny CC
Athens CC (GA)
Augusta CC (GA)
Belle Meade CC
Beverly CC
Biltmore Forest CC
Brae Burn CC
Broadmoor GC - East
Brookside CC
Cape Fear CC
CC of Birmingham-West
CC of Buffalo
CC of Detroit
CC of Rochester
CC of Waterbury
CC or York
Cedar Rapids CC
Charles River CC
Chattanooga Golf  & CC
Cohasset CC
Columbia CC
Congressional CC - Blue
Crestmont CC
Exmoor CC
Forsyth CC
French Lick Resort - Hill Course
Gulf Stream GC
Hope Valley CC
Hyannisport Club
Hyde Park Golf & CC (Ohio)
Irondequoit CC
Kahkwa Club
Lake Sunapee CC
Linville GC
Longmeadow CC
Memphis CC
Mid Pines GC
Mimosa Hills CC
Minikahda Club
Minneapolis GC
Monroe GC (NY)
Montclair GC
Mountain Brook CC
Muskegon CC
Newport CC
Northland CC
Oak Hill CC – West
Oakland Hills  - North
Oconomowoc GC
Old Elm Club
Oyster Harbors Club
Palm Beach CC
Peninsula Golf & CC
Plainfield CC
Portland CC (ME)
Pt Judith CC
Rhode Island CC
Riverside CC (Canada)
Roaring Gap Club
Sakonnet GC
Sedgefield CC
Shaker Heights CC
Siwanoy CC
Springfield CC (Ohio)
St. David's GC
Teugega CC
The Whippoorwill Club
Timuquana CC
Wampanoag CC
Warwick CC
Whitinsville GC
Wianno GC
Winchester CC
Wykagyl CC
York Golf & CC (ME)

BCowan

« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2018, 06:35:25 PM »
My 2 cents,

1. Pinehurst #2         9
2. Holston Hills         8.4
3. Canton Brookside  8.3 (Could be a 9)(Best Ross greens I've played by a mile)
4. Mid Pines              8.3
5. Franklin Hills         8.1 (Could be a 9)
6. Inverness             7.6 (Might be 9 this year)
7. Timuquana           7.1
8. Scioto                  7
9. Pine Needles        6.9 (haven't played latest version)
10. Ravisloe             6.8
11. Oakland Hills S   6.7
12. Athens CC          6.4
13. Barton Hills        6
13. Broadmoor (IN)  6
13. Hope Valley        6
16 Muskegon          5.9  (Great land, so much potential)
17 Grosse Ile          5.7  (2nd best set of Ross Greens)
18. Wilmington        5.6
19 Oakland Hills N  5.3
20. Roseland Park    5    (Need to play again, loved it)
21 Southern Pines   5
22 Western             4.8
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:18:19 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Ian Andrew

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2018, 06:56:33 PM »

Rosedale in Toronto I an interesting case for accreditation.
Greens were rebuilt by Ross, some are still there, others are now gone.
But it's originally a Bendelow layout.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Adam T

« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2018, 11:23:30 PM »

Shennecossett is a gem!

Donnie-I agree with everything you said regarding Shennecossett and again the Mungeam holes don't fit with what was originally there. There is nothing special about his holes on the other side of Plant Street with the exception of the green site on 16. That said I love to play there especially in the Winter and Eric Morrison does a great job in taking care of and presenting the golf course. What is left of the Ross holes is fantastic.

A fitting Facebook post from Shennecossett today, with a rendering of the original routing: https://www.facebook.com/shennygolf/posts/1560029807384778. Imagine how amazing it must have been to play that 18! (FWIW - 15-17 might not fit in perfectly with the course, but I have still always enjoyed those holes coming down the stretch in matches).

Mike Bodo

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2018, 07:52:40 PM »
Tom, I gotta put a plug in for Western Golf and Country Club to be put on this list. It's a more challenging course than either Grosse Isle or DGC (North), with more elevation changes than the latter to boot. In addition, you gave DGC North a 5 on the 2017 SE Michigan GCA Top 25 list, same as you did Western, yet Western didn't make your 64 - 81 ranked group of courses. I know you said that the courses in the latter groupings weren't ranked in any particular order, but Western should be in the Top 100 without question and I'd argue should crack the Top 50.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Mike Bodo

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
One more...

Sara Bay CC  (Sarasota, FL)        6

Very cool place.  Bobby Jones apparently hung out there quite a bit prior to building ANGC.

TS

Sara Bay is a very good course. Got the chance to play it last year.
"90% of all putts left short are missed." - Yogi Berra

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back