News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Is Chechessee what Dormie Club could've been?
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 04:40:33 PM »
I'm not sure how it will work either. So far they have a good track record. We'll see how it works out in the next few years.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 06:01:52 PM »
I really like Dormie but I still don't understand how it is going to work as a private club.  If they build cabins, etc. similar to Ballyneal, the problem that arises is staffing. You build accommodations for 24 which requires food and beverage staff.  In order to give good food and service you need full time employees but you won't have enough golfers to support full-time quality cooks, wait staff, etc. 

The other concern  I have is how do you compete with other private clubs in the area plus semi privates like Pine Needles/Mid Pines. Non-resident memberships are available at CCNC and Forest Oaks which both have 2 courses. You of course have all the courses at Pinehurst. I just came back from Arizona and played with some guys who are regulars at Talking Stick.  They said they paid $99 for an annual membership which gave them one free round in the off season and then a reduced rate of $79 the rest of the year.  Something like this is what I see a possibly working where guys like myself would come down on a somewhat regular basis and keep the club active.  (You might even require a spending minimum which would include green fees.)Then non-resident/visitors would pay a higher fee.  Tee Times would be blocked off each day for the visitors at the higher rate.

Jerry:

The model provides for limited local memberships (80-100ish), which supply a steady stream of lunch and dinner business, plus daily play, with national members coming for stays of multiple days, often with guests in tow.  Corporate memberships allow a small number of designees to bring clients/customers, often in larger numbers (say, 12 total players) for a couple of days.

Having a core group of local members who eat a couple of times (or more) a week definitely helps.

The model works surprisingly well with small number of full-time service staff.  An excellent bartender who knows how to run the front of the house goes a long, long way.  Of course, staff ends up wearing many hats, but that's what happens at any boutique facility in the hospitality industry.

The core, though, is an unforgettable golf experience.  A great golf course and excellent playing conditions will make or break the entire proposition.  That's what the Peeds are focused on as the centerpiece of Dormie (and their other clubs).

Would love to have you back to Ballyhack this year so you can see our improvements yourself!

WW
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:04:48 PM by Wade Whitehead »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 10:11:44 PM »
Wade: Perhaps I will be able to make it back to Ballyhack.  I truly hope that Dormie will be successful as I really enjoy the course.  The model you suggest is going to be quite difficult as there is considerable competition in the area and I question if you can find enough new members or those who leave one of the other clubs to join Dormie.  I am no expert so I cannot claim to know the answer and I hope you are right.

Christian Newton

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 01:16:33 PM »
I figured this thread was the best place for a minor update on the work at Dormie. I played it this week and every green collar had been recently resodded. The greens themselves were in great shape. I've never seen them look better--but I usually play Dormie in the winter.

I asked one gentleman who was doing work on the no. 4 green about Coore's visit. He said the changes are focused on improving the existing forward tees throughout and adding some additional teeing grounds. And apparently they're about to break ground on the new clubhouse.

Cheers,
Christian

Carl Rogers

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 04:04:44 PM »
2 questions about Dormie:
1. Will there be any alterations to Hole No. 10?
2. Is it possible for an out of towner to play a couple of rounds a year there?  Old management regimen was quite accommodating.

3 comments:
1. IMO, the turf at Dormie was always very good.
2. From Bandon Trails to Streamsong Red to Dormie (the courses I have played) and all the C & C courses I have see pics of or on the tube, the bunker detailing indicates a consistency in look and feel.
3. Business Model: (I live 4.5 hours away.) If I am taking a golf trip to the Sandhills and spending several days, don't I want to avail myself of the other top quality golf nearby and not just play multiple rounds at only 1 course?  Yes, Dormie is a little distance from town, but not that far away.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 12:11:56 PM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Christian Newton

« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2018, 04:51:16 PM »
I asked specifically if any greens or surrounds would be changed and this person said no, for what that's worth.

One detail I left out: they've installed turf fans on the shortest par threes: no. 8 and no. 12.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2018, 07:51:51 AM »
I asked specifically if any greens or surrounds would be changed and this person said no, for what that's worth.

One detail I left out: they've installed turf fans on the shortest par threes: no. 8 and no. 12.
[/quotes ](I think you mean hole 9)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 10:00:58 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2018, 11:19:57 AM »
Carl, they are going to fill in where the ditch on the left juts out by where the tee ball lands. Other than that I don't think they will change anything else.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:39:53 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
sketch of the new clubhouse.

St. John of the Cross

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2018, 09:42:54 PM »
2. Is it possible for an out of tower to play a couple of rounds a year there?  Old management regimen was quite accommodating.

3. Business Model: (I live 4.5 hours away.) If I am taking a golf trip to the Sandhills and spending several days, don't I want to avail myself of the other top quality golf nearby and not just play multiple rounds at only 1 course?  Yes, Dormie is a little distance from town, but not that far away.
Carl:
My understanding is that non-member play will be permitted, on an increasingly limited basis, through 2019.
I'm sure that national members will play other courses in Pinehurst when they're in town, but they'll use Dormie as home base.  Plans are for fifteen cottages (four bedrooms and bathrooms each, very much like Ballyhack's), so they'll stay (and probably eat) on site, even when they're driving over the #2 or Tobacco Road, etc.
WW

Jeff Schley

« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2018, 05:41:19 AM »

Love that sketch and imagine these cabins will be similar to that style.  Certainly will be impressive.  Wonder what that budget is for the clubhouse? Doesn't look huge from the outside.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2018, 11:28:25 AM »

Love that sketch and imagine these cabins will be similar to that style.  Certainly will be impressive.  Wonder what that budget is for the clubhouse? Doesn't look huge from the outside.

I am not certain of the size but with a small local membership and cabins (15) it only needs to service a limited number of people. They did not build Ballyhack, but it was designed with the same model in mind. It is about 12,000 square feet and very seldom does it feel crowded.
St. John of the Cross

Craig Disher

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2018, 06:08:14 PM »
I've seen the floorplan for the new clubhouse and from my memory it looks very close to the drawings. I think it will be a little more intimate than Ballyhack's, which is very very comfortable and suits the site well. But if we're comparing Dormie's to Chechessee, Chechessee's clubhouse appears small, is small, but is perfectly suited to the membership and the low country site. From what I've seen, it appears that Dormie Club's new ownership is on the right track.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2018, 09:57:21 PM »
I’ve heard third or fourth hand that work on the course would not begin until 2019. Reason being that the previous owner had made commitments to packagers for play this summer and fall.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2018, 10:37:40 PM »
When I was there earlier this month I was told that the buildings will be up and running mid 2019. The commitments for those who bought packages will be honored.
St. John of the Cross

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »
Staff told me that they will be offering one hour of package play and one hour of public play each day in 2019 before going fully private in 2020.
WW

ChipRoyce

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2018, 07:40:22 AM »
Dormie has a history of bad luck with its expansion efforts and economic cycles.

The club was founded just before the 'great recession', with what seemed to be the goal of selling national memberships to the 'well-heeled'. The economic downturn pulled the rug out from under the initial ownership group, to the benefit of those who live nearby and have been treated to access to this excellent club.
I worry that economic cycles could affect Dormie Network's plans again (market and economy are way overextended and ripe for a correction). Just seemed that the new owners purchased the club at a peak in popularity (Top 100 modern, economy running at full tilt, etc...)

They do have a few factors that could help weather any storm:
1) The club is seeking a lot of out of town members. With the increase in population of Charlotte and Raleigh, both 1.5 hours away or so, there may be plenty who would like Dormie as a 2nd club.2) Deep pockets of the Dormie Network group3) Plenty of ways to generate revenue from outside play, while maintaining "private" status (tour companies, private club reciprocity, etc...)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:42:55 AM by ChipRoyce »

James Brown

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2019, 08:48:39 PM »
I like DC much more for its varied terrain and interesting greens. I found the greens at CC to lack slope and undulation. No matter how long the putt I had was the caddie never said more than three balls out. I am very interested to see what the new owner will do at Dormie.

Thread Bump!

I played Chechessee Creek for the first time today.  Don’t know how anyone can say the greens lack slope.  I had numerous putts with 4-5 feet of break, one from only 30 feet. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2019, 12:27:39 AM »
I like DC much more for its varied terrain and interesting greens. I found the greens at CC to lack slope and undulation. No matter how long the putt I had was the caddie never said more than three balls out. I am very interested to see what the new owner will do at Dormie.

Thread Bump!

I played Chechessee Creek for the first time today.  Don’t know how anyone can say the greens lack slope.  I had numerous putts with 4-5 feet of break, one from only 30 feet.

I hope you're right because I really liked the course. We just had very different experiences on the greens.
St. John of the Cross

James Brown

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »

Thread Bump!

I hope you're right because I really liked the course. We just had very different experiences on the greens.

Sounds like it.  Every time I hit it within 30 feet of the hole, I had a pretty simple putt, except for one time on #12.  The rest of the time I was on the front or well short of the green and had to putt up from 60-70 feet with lots of interesting breaks and read with the grain factoring hugely, 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back