News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

America's Top 15 Public Courses to go Private on January 1st!
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:25:16 PM »
You have less that 6 hours to join. You get to join only one.
The good news is that your membership is guaranteed -- but only if you decide and act right away.
I can't tell you your business or what should be important to you, but remember: membership means that you can play the course every single day, while in this case "private" means really, really private. Outside play will be extremely limited.
The list of the Top 15 was culled from Golf's Top 100 in America (taking only the currently-public and leaving off the many already-private courses).
Here's the list. Membership awaits you, along with everyday play at your favourite (currently) public course. But for the other 14 courses that you don't pick, well, you might not be able to play them again for a long long time. 
Good luck with your decision. Remember: you may want to pick a course that you would be happy to play every day.
Best to you for a happy and healthy new year.
Peter

Pebble Beach
Pinehurst No 2
Pacific Dunes
Bethpage Black
Kiawah Island (Ocean)
Whistling Straits (Straits)
TPC Sawgrass
Bandon Dunes
Harbour Town
Bandon Trails
Streamsong Red
Sand Valley
Pasatiempo
Old Macdonald
Streamsong Blue

« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:58:43 PM by Peter Pallotta »

James Brown

Re: America's Top 15 Public Courses to go Private on January 1st!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 06:33:51 PM »
Assuming I actually lived near enough to take advantage, I would choose Pebble Beach.  You left it off. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 06:57:56 PM »
Oops. Thanks - corrected. Pebble on, Torrey Pines South off (to stat at 15).
You're in at Pebble.

JMEvensky

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »
TPC - Sawgrass. Every time I've played it I thought it would make a perfect members' course--if it was taken back to the original idea of large un-maintained/manicured areas. Not too long,not a hard walk,a fun set of greens,and a course with enough wind that it wouldn't get boring.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »
Without even discussing price none of the above beat the reality of Prairie Dunes.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »
1.because it's an hour and 15 from my house-Bethpage Black (and it would be actually enjoyable without the hassle of sleeping on your car for the priviledge of a 6 hour round.

2.Pac Dunes (to say nothing of the attraction of home and home with Bandon Trails.old Mac, and Bandon Dunes members)

Pebble next (Cypress home and homes)

For winter play-Streamsong Blue (Red home and homes)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
So hard, P2, as I've not played them all.  Not complaining too loudly (!), since I've seen 8 of them.

But I'll go all Barney on you and change the rules of the game and state that if I'm Super of the World and can present BPB to my liking, it is the winner.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
I will also hypothesize that I have a private jet and that joining the newly private Bandon Golf Club includes all four courses.

Ira

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
Can't lose at any of them, since Torrey is now off!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
According to the rules if you join one Bandon course you can't play any of the others. Of course you could just send Golfweek $250 and play them all.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 07:45:07 PM »
According to the rules if you join one Bandon course you can't play any of the others. Of course you could just send Golfweek $250 and play them all.

It is New Year’s Eve and a bunch of us are posting and many more are lurking. There are no rules.

Ira

Terry Lavin

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »
Pacific Dunes without question. I’d happily retire there.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 08:01:35 PM »
I suspect many would put Chambers above a few on this list...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 08:11:43 PM »
Kemper Lakes held a major and was a highly regarded public course that went private. Has that been a success? Are there any other better examples?

John Kirk

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 08:41:18 PM »
Probably Pacific Dunes.

I like the lower 9th green / lower 10th tee considerably more than the upper combo.

Second choice might be Pasatiempo.  I have a number of friends there.  A generally underrated golf course and club.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »
Concerning Bandon, can't you already become a resident of Oregon and pay rates equal to monthly dues of any great club. Is getting rid of the resort stigma what makes joining so appealing? Is there a market for retirement homes in Coos Bay?

Buck Wolter

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
I've never played Streamsong but would like to be a member of a Doak so I'll take the Blue -- what are the warm winter options that are comparable? Augusta, Seminole, Mountain Lake? Plus I could probably afford to live close without winning the Lottery.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 09:44:23 PM »
I've never played Streamsong but would like to be a member of a Doak so I'll take the Blue -- what are the warm winter options that are comparable? Augusta, Seminole, Mountain Lake? Plus I could probably afford to live close without winning the Lottery.

Yes, I would say so.  The closest home to Streamsong that's currently for sale according to Trulia is a 3-bedroom, 1-bathroom house in Bradley Junction, asking $55,900:

https://www.trulia.com/property/5033478695-6771-Grand-Central-Ave-Mulberry-FL-33860

Frank M

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »
Pinehurst No. 2 for me. Pretty much year round play, southern charm, awesome golf course, I love the place.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 09:58:38 PM »
If Streamsong went private could all three courses survive with 1000 members paying $12,000 per year?

David Wuthrich

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 10:30:26 PM »

Pebble for me.

I would never get tired of playing the course, not overly difficult, beautiful views.

But probably most important, Carmel is my wife's favorite place.

A happy wife makes for a happy life on the golf course!!!

Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 12:27:28 AM »
I think I’d have to choose Harbour Town. Firstly because I love it and secondly because it’s the course I get to fairly regularly on this list and I can’t imagine having to grovel to play it when I visit the island.

James Brown

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 12:35:03 AM »
Would Pebble ever get old?  Who here has played it the most?  I’ve only been around twice.

archie_struthers

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 10:01:59 AM »
 ???

Tough one , Pebble undeniably beautiful , weather pretty good in Carmel.  Prairie Dunes off the hook , but I can't live that far from the Ocean . Streamsong looks cool, but too hot in Florida in summer .

That leaves Pinehurst , right ?  Love the place but too quiet for me in N.C. , so I'm gonna go to Pasatiempo . 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 10:07:27 AM »
You can buy a membership at Pinehurst already. I was jealous of the members playing without caddies last time I visited.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back