News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

Update on the current state of Scotland Course Building
« on: December 28, 2017, 06:33:43 PM »
I thought it worthwhile to gather together the current position of as many of Scotland’s developments as we could.
Here’s my starter for ten. Feel free to add/discuss. Hopefully Adam L will be better able to meaningfully update.

SAIGC (St Andrews International)
Presently completely shaped out. Some grassing. Nothing happening for three/four years. Legal/financial stuff.

Heartlands (West Lothian)
Mostly shaped. Some grassing. Nothing happening for four/five(?) years. Housing/Industrial developments stalled.

GWest (adjacent Gleneagles)
Complete and fully(?) maintained. No sign of an opening. Private mega-bucks.

Coul Links (near Dornoch)
In Planning process.

Dumbarnie Links (nearest Elie/Lundin Links)
Re-entering Planning process.

Not looking very healthy.

Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

Re: Update on the current state of Scotland Course Building
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 06:37:29 PM »
Castle Stuart #2
In Planning?

Trump International #2
In Planning?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »
Ury Estate.

Waiting for Hotel and Hooses to be built first, I guess.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 07:49:42 PM »
Blairs College, outside Aberdeen.

Have not heard anything for a couple of years now.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 07:51:53 PM »
Cheers, Brian.
9 and counting.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 09:07:30 PM »
What ever happened to that new project at Stonehaven?  Or was it just a proposed renovation of the existing course?

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 09:14:19 PM »
"What ever happened to that new project at Stonehaven?  Or was it just a proposed renovation of the existing course?"

Tom D. -

I believe the Ury Estate project is the one at Stonehaven.

http://www.nicklaus.com/design/uryestate/

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/aberdeenshire/1363601/new-plans-pitched-for-ury-house-hotel-and-golf-course/

DT

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 09:17:03 PM »
Thanks, David.  I hadn't heard that name before.  Doesn't have the ring of a winner.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 03:25:50 AM »
I assume the new course for Torvean GC, in Inverness, actually progressed?

https://www.highland.gov.uk/news/article/9572/contract_awarded_for_new_torvean_golf_course 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 04:57:09 AM »
I assume the new course for Torvean GC, in Inverness, actually progressed?

https://www.highland.gov.uk/news/article/9572/contract_awarded_for_new_torvean_golf_course

I believe it's in construction yes.

Haven't talked to Stuart in a while but I'm sure Adam will know.

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 05:20:40 AM »
Martin

Heartlands is shaped but won't be going any further. The developer is looking for alternative uses.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »
Last time I spoke to Stuart Rennie Torvean was about to start construction.

Niall has more up to date info re Heartlands than I do but I'm not surprised to hear what he says. I didn't in fact know it had got that far.

Dumbarnie I have heard nothing about for a good while.

Local councillors approved the Ury Estate development last March against the recommendation of their planning officer. However this April the council voted against an application to increase the size of the hotel planned for the property over concerns of its proximity to BP's Forties oil pipeline. The developer has since filed planning applications to change the proposed housing estate from 51 very large homes to 99 smaller ones, and also to develop hotel rooms within a walled garden. Your guess is as good as mine.

St Andrews International has changed its name to The Feddinch Club St Andrews. Last March the developers told the local paper that it would open in 2018 SO LONG AS the local council granted an extension to the planning permission for the clubhouse (which was conditional on the golf course build having reached a certain point by a certain time, which it hadn't). I can't find any evidence of that extension being granted or refused. The clubhouse has always been the biggest point of contention, and I have heard it said that the golf course build started before full consent had been obtained for the clubhouse.

GWest, well who knows? I keep hearing that there is an intention to open it, but when? Paul Kimber has probably torn all of his hair out by now. If they didn't open the course when the entire golfing world was a mile or so away for the Ryder Cup in 2014, what would prompt them to do so? Insanity all round.

Coul is awaiting its planning hearing as you say Marty; it should be early next year. Lots of information and disinformation flying around.

Castle Stuart Palmer course was supposed to start this spring/summer and didn't. Mark is very committed to the project I know, but my feeling is that he's not totally comfortable about the financial package and is still looking for new partners.

Trump Aberdeen II, I think we can forget for the present time. They must be losing a fortune on that place. Why would they possibly build another expensive course just to lose more money? If they are going to develop the site further the next step has got to be hotel and/or houses.

Blairs College no idea. It's over ten years since that development got planning approval. You'd say dead; but Muir Group, the company behind it, is a serious and substantial organisation so who knows?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Marty Bonnar

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »
Force an is just about finished now and looking very nice. It's no world beater but hopefully will play as the members want it to.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 08:08:05 PM »
Force an is just about finished now and looking very nice. It's no world beater but hopefully will play as the members want it to.

WTF is ‘Force an’? Is that bloody predictive text being useless? Torvean, perchance?
😁
F.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 08:14:10 PM »
Martin

Heartlands is shaped but won't be going any further. The developer is looking for alternative uses.

Niall

Crap.
That is hugely sad.
This development was taking place in my home town and I was hoping it might be great for the local economy. Silly me. Clearly golf isn’t always fabulous for improving the lot of a local population.
Cheers,
F.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 08:36:25 PM »
What was also brilliant about the project was that it involved the remediation of a huge old coal mine site with the associated slag waste heaps (the bings of my childhood). They were including much of the colliery spoil in the subsoil layers of the golf course. Would have been cool to see how that worked.

F.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 03:34:49 AM »

WTF is ‘Force an’? Is that bloody predictive text being useless? Torvean, perchance?
😁
F.

Correct Marty,

I hate spellchecker on the tablet.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 04:05:03 AM »

😁
F.

Correct Marty,

I hate spellchecker on the tablet.

Stuart is a talented young man. I'm really pleased for him that he has had this opportunity and look forward to seeing it.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

James Boon

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 11:17:45 AM »
Marty,

The thing which stands out to me is how many of these have been built, or nearly finished anyway, and yet there isnt a push to finish them off and open them for play?

You can add Taymouth Castle to that list!
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51710.msg1540928.html#msg1540928

I dropped by back in August and though I only had time to walk a few of the holes at the western end, they looked virtually ready for play to me, or at least they would be with little effort. You can even see the new layout clearly on Google Maps aerial photo. And this is a course with an existing membership!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2017, 11:25:16 AM »
Apparently Gwest is prepared for play everyday by a full greenkeeping team. I’m told it’s all about the housing and will progress once land prices rise. They won’t open for golf before the housing land is sold as that would undermine the exclusiveness of the project.
Cave Nil Vino

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »
James,
I’d forgotten TC. Good friends have a Static at Kenmore, so we’re up there quite often. One of the finest inland locations in Scotland. Great Salmon and Trout fishing right there too. Some Areas and Rooms in The Big Hoose are complete too - and quite the place it could be!
As you say, the Club is there with people ready to play. Quite odd!

Mark,
IIRC, the housing plots were for VERY upmarket (read Expensive!) houses. Recession still biting there, I guess.

Cheers,
M.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2017, 11:30:44 AM »
PS James. I did the Google Earth/Apple Maps/Google Maps thing for all of these Courses too. Ridiculous how far some of them have gone and are still closed.

James Boon

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2017, 11:51:41 AM »
Marty,

Indeed its ridiculous! I'm sure there are plenty of reasons why a course might have to delay opening, but for so many in Scotland to be in this situation its a worry.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 01:15:06 PM »
HI Marty,

I have another one for your list: Kersewell Resort.

It's had planning for a number of years. It's located on 465 acres near Carnwath (half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow).  It's golf, hotel and lodges. I'm told there's a chance of it coming alive in 2018....  but .... who knows...

Scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back