News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

18 crackers in Donegal
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:48:52 AM »
The mention of golf in Donegal on a couple of ongoing threads prompted me to consider 18-Christmas crackers in Donegal.

No more than 2 holes from any 1 course.

1 Cruit Island
2 Portsalon
6 Cruit Island
8 Narin & Portnoo
9 Narin & Portnoo
13 OTM at Rosapenna
14 OTM at Rosapenna
16 Dunfanaghy
17 Dunfanaghy
18 Portsalon

The above are just a few 'stick in the mind' holes of the numerous courses I've been fortunate to have played in the area, shame some others have the same hole number as there are many, many very fine candidates.

Although I have thoughts as to some other holes to include to make up an 18, I thought I'd leave a few blank spaces so as to give the opportunity for other posters to complete an overall 18.

Add or amend as you wish.

Add Happy Christmas to all.

atb

Tom_Doak

Re: 18 crackers in Donegal
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »
The hole I really liked at Portnoo was the 5th - or at least it used to be the 5th, not sure if that stayed the same with the new routing.  It's an uphill medium-long par-4 with a terrific approach and green site.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 10:36:14 AM »
The hole I really liked at Portnoo was the 5th - or at least it used to be the 5th, not sure if that stayed the same with the new routing.  It's an uphill medium-long par-4 with a terrific approach and green site.

Still the 5th. I was quite fond of the 17th too, for the funky contours, but don't know how it compares to Dunfanaghy?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 10:50:33 AM »
I love the 12th at OTM.... I've seen a lot of people talk about the short two shot 13th and the superior par three 14th but the long par-4 12th with a centreline bunker, a very gentle reverse camber and a wild offset false front is my favourite of the three - add in the 15th (cool green) and it is one of the best stretches in Irish golf.

Ballyliffin has its share of excellent holes on both courses.

The 8th at Murvagh is my favourite par 5 Ireland.

Portsalon has a number of wonderful holes that sometimes get overlooked in the rush to compliment the 2nd.

I like the 7th, 12th and 16th at North West.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »
Holes I like a lot

1 Portsalon

9 Rosapenna OTM

5 Narin & Portnoo

8 Narin & Portnoo

17 Narin & Portnoo

Merry Christmas
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 11:33:43 AM »
Holes I like a lot

1 Portsalon

9 Rosapenna OTM

5 Narin & Portnoo

8 Narin & Portnoo

17 Narin & Portnoo

Merry Christmas

1 at Portsalon is no more I believe.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 12:50:08 PM »
Holes I like a lot

1 Portsalon

9 Rosapenna OTM

5 Narin & Portnoo

8 Narin & Portnoo

17 Narin & Portnoo

Merry Christmas

They now play 2 thru 19?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:58:34 PM »
My recollection is that 10 at Dunfanaghy was the best hole there IMO. The one after the short par 3 over water, which I believe is the ninth. How is it that a Dunfanaghy fan didn't put this in his list which is empty for the 10th?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 01:00:10 PM »
Holes I like a lot

1 Portsalon

9 Rosapenna OTM

5 Narin & Portnoo

8 Narin & Portnoo

17 Narin & Portnoo

Merry Christmas

What!???

Are you thinking of Rosapenna OTM?

It was there in September 2016
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:01:59 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 01:08:18 PM »

The 16th at Northwest has it in spades over the 16th at Dunfanaghy IMO

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 01:30:32 PM »
My recollection is that 10 at Dunfanaghy was the best hole there IMO. The one after the short par 3 over water, which I believe is the ninth. How is it that a Dunfanaghy fan didn't put this in his list which is empty for the 10th?

Dunfanaghy
The 10th over the edge of the beach ought to be a real cracker, except that the bunkering isn’t very nicely done or positioned. The 9th is cracking hole as well....actually so are 6-7-8........to me 16-17 are the standouts....plus I stipulated only 2 holes from 1 course!
This course needs to be played by more GCA folk.

Portsalon
Can someone please elaborate about the 1st?
A bunch of other fine holes at Portsalon including some of the I suspect under appreciated inland holes on the latter part of the 2nd nine.

Narin & Portnoo
A whole of very fine holes indeed including the 5th and 17th plus others.
I believe the course was once rather different and that the 3 back-to-back par-5’s on the 2nd nine are recentish.
Can someone please elaborate on the old/new routing?

Ballyliffin
The Old I really liked but apart from the evil par-3 5th no hole has really stuck in the memory bank, which is unusual as I normally remember just about every hole in sequence. The Glashedy has a few holes in the memory bank but they may be there for more topography/routing reasons than individual hole specifics. A return visit to both is needed.

Rosapenna
I recall the OTM/Strand 9th being a fine hole that dog legged left around a big open blowout bunker. I did consider one or two holes from the Sandy Hills but hole number clashes meant their exclusion.

North West
Needs a visit as does nearby Buncrana. To be combined perhaps with a Ballyliffin re-visit plus Jeffs oft mentioned Greencastle.

Atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 01:43:24 PM »
1. Northwest (Portsalon great too)
2. Portsalon
3.Buncrana
4.Cruit (could easily use third hole)
5.Narin and Portnoo
6.Cruit
8. Narin and Portnoo
9.Dunfanaghy
10.Dunfanaghy
12.Greencastle !

green looking back

16.Northwest
17.Portsalon (Dunfanaghy close second-N and P third and both would provide better balance with 18 OTM)
18.OTM (in current configuration)

Plenty of good holes at Ballyliffin but they tend to run together with the routing crossings and similar texture/coloring of dunes.(Have played each course 3 times)
Enniscorone , Carne, Donegal  plenty of candidates but it's been too long for me to remember exact hole #s

Otway deserves a  spot as the 6th is the most unique hole in golf but 6 at Cruit is epic. (9th at Otway pretty cool over 8 green  up on the cliffs)

always hate hole specific ranking as some of my favorite holes are same numbers..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:46:20 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »

The 16th at Northwest has it in spades over the 16th at Dunfanaghy IMO

The 16th at Dunfanaghy is however epic.(as is 17)
a long uphill slog to a plateau-I played it into a 35 mph wind driver, driver, driver, 6 iron from 70 yards.
Green is very cool.
Dunfanaghy is a course with 6-7 real highlights and some entertaining subtle fun on the other holes
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 01:57:03 PM by jeffwarne »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 01:54:34 PM »
You well traveled golfers impress me -- not so much the travel (though that too) as much as your broad tastes in golf courses, all the way from the very refined to the very raw.  I find myself wishing I could embrace such a wide palette, and I have a nagging feeling that I *should* embrace it -- but after years of a steady (photo) diet of those gentle and fairly well defined English inland courses, I just can't bring myself to it!  :)
Best to all of you
Peter

Michael Moore

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 02:54:24 PM »
Anyone play Donegal Golf Club? I thought that five, six, seven, eight, ten and fourteen were very fine holes. The visuals, walk, and clubhouse scene were all you could ever want. Talk about your "everyday" course, this was it. Merry Christmas!
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Charles Lund

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »
In reading this thread, I realized I need to play Dunfanaghy and Narin and Portnoo to have a more complete experience with courses in Donegal.  Given that I have so much experience playing Ballyliffin, I will add some comments.

From my perspective, Glashedy and The Old Links tend to have stretches of holes that are runs of very good holes and it is hard for me to think of one as particularly better than another, since they can vary so much from day to day, due to wind and weather, but that is Donegal and most of the island of Ireland. 

The opening three holes on Glashedy run up to and then into massive duneland.  I am hard pressed to pick one as my favorite of the three, but they are three really solid holes to start the front nine.  On the back nine, 12, 13, and 15 constitute another stretch of demanding holes. Holes 12 and 15 are long par fours that are dog leg holes that run in opposite directions with the 15th green located in the area around the 12th tee.  Number 17 is an excellent long par five and the finishing hole runs through some smaller dunes back toward the club house. 

On the Old Links, the fifth hole, an uphill par three is probably the most memorable due to the location of the green in a flat area between the top of two peaks of a larger dune.  Anything short runs to the bottom of a steep slope.  There is forgiveness long.  I am partial to the second hole, due to the length and the rumpled fairways, extending until the fairway slopes upward to the green.  The third hole is a shorter par four with penal fairway bunkering, with sloped and rumpled fairways.  The stretch of holes on the back nine among my favorites are 13, 14, 15, and 16.  Number 13 is a bit away from Pollan Bay but 14, 15, and 16 run along the water.  I don't have a favorite among these to suggest, but I look forward on each round there to playing these holes.

At Rosapenna Old Tom Morris, I concur about #13 and 14, the short par four and the subsequent par three as being among my favorites.  On the Sandy Hills course, my favorites are #4, 6, 10, and 12, mostly due to the massive dunes that are part of the visual character of the holes. 

Agree about #8 at Murvagh being an amazingly difficult par five.   I also like the finishing hole there.

I ordinarily stay near Ballyliffin for three to four weeks.  This May and early June I will be there but the Glashedy course will close for the Irish Open a month before the July Irish Open.  I will probably return to some of my old favorites and play a couple of other courses in Donegal I have not played before.  An earlier thread discussed venturing into raw playing environments.  It can get pretty raw in some parts of Donegal and even the better courses have a raw quality to them.

Charles Lund
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 02:57:51 PM by Charles Lund »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
Portsalon 1st has been designed out by Paul McGinley I believe. Not sure what it is being replaced with. I will find out.

Also not sure whether construction has finished or even started.

Ally

Rob Marshall

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »
1st hole Portsalon was a fun little starting hole. The second was the best hole on the course. It was all downhill from there from what I remember. It was like too completely different nines. The back was much more open than the front. Hazard running across the 18th hole had a screen covering it. Never seen that before. I have to say the scenery surrounding the course was spectacular. Best I saw in Ireland.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »
Portsalon 1st has been designed out by Paul McGinley I believe. Not sure what it is being replaced with. I will find out.

Ally

A real head scratcher.
The first tee is right in front of the pro shop and clubhouse.
 They have to get from the clubhouse to #2 tee.
The green is awesome
What could possibly be better?
to lose that green would be criminal

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 05:31:25 PM »

Ally

A real head scratcher.
The first tee is right in front of the pro shop and clubhouse.
 They have to get from the clubhouse to #2 tee.
The green is awesome
What could possibly be better?
to lose that green would be criminal

Agreed Jeff. Love the green but I think that might be part of the reason for the change. I can't recall the plan as I only heard it 2nd hand. I'll ask again.

I do remember that the 3rd will completely change, teeing from the right of the 2nd green towards the coast and doglegging right. But again,memory is so sketchy that I wouldn't hold my word as gospel until I find out again.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 05:55:30 PM »
All a bit alarming about Portsalon.
The quirky 1st hole with it’s wacky green, the wonderful 2nd followed by a viewing platform like high tee for the 3rd above the stream and the beach......then a whole load of lovely links holes followed by some imo surprisingly good inland holes culminating with a tough as nails 17th and the 18th played over the unusual netting covered beach path and the stream fronted green.
Atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 06:24:56 PM »
Yes I love Portsalon. The inland holes are  fantastic and the stretch along the beach on the front nine are a fitting start. Some nice quirk mixed in with some stern links holes.

The Matterhorn 14th doesn't get enough mentions. It surely is one of Donegal's greatest holes. I think this was a pre-Ruddy hole but I wouldn't be surprised if he used it as inspiration when designing both the 13th at The European and the 12th at Druid's Heath. The fairways move in the same way.

I don't think there are huge routing changes planned but it was the loss of the 1st green that worried me when I heard of them.

Ally

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 06:37:26 PM »
Very disappointing Ally
The only thing Portsalon ever lacked was exposure.
Such variety.
hate to see that designed out

The quirk of the first
The second
holes 3-7 along the coast
The openness of 10-13
13,14 up on the hill looking dout over the sea.
15, 16, 17-so unique
18 never really did it for me but .....they couldn't possible have much money-why spend money to homogonize?

Let's hope I'm wrong.....
The first hole without that green is simply a boring slog

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2017, 04:03:49 AM »
Man...I would loathe to see Portsalon's 1st disappear...imo the best hole on the course by a long shot...the only All Ireland candidate there.

Merry Christmas
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:11:18 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back