News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Liddy

The evolution of a bunker (with photos)
« on: November 12, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »

Many times it is the small details we do that gives us the most pleasure. Dan Proctor and I spent many days finalizing the bunker on this special fairway, the Duke's St Andrews 13th golf hole. Not only did it guard the future best approach angle into the green, it accented the wonderful view out over the North Sea and the town of St Andrews. Here is a photo after it was recently constructed. You can see the small heather we planted along the top, blending it into the perimeter fescues. You will also notice the green had not yet been remodeled nor has new planting been added to screen the large home in the background.

Here is a photo taken this summer. Notice how well the heather has taken root, softening the bunker edge and transitioning into the adjacent fescue. The bunker adds a foreground to the long view out to the North Sea and at the same time takes the golfers eye to the green. Also see how the adjoining residence is now screened out of view. The green now has been remodeled, bringing this bunker strategic significance. A bunker ten years later and the small details and joys of a golf course architect.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:01:42 PM by Tim Liddy »

Peter Pallotta

Re: The evolution of a bunker
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »
Thanks, Tim - beautiful work.
It sure goes to show that gca is both a craft and an art.
It must be very satisfying when it all comes together so well, especially at a place like St Andrews.
Peter

Tommy Naccarato

Re: The evolution of a bunker
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:13:48 AM »
As Tom Doak once commented to me (in jest) after I once posted some pictures of some various bunkers in England, “Heather is overrated!” 

Looks great Tim!

Randy Thompson

Re: The evolution of a bunker (with photos)
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 10:52:29 PM »
I personally like both the old and new bunker, the clearing behind is what really stands out as a great- Wow improvement.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:41:26 AM »

I last played the Dukes in its original form back in the late 80s? or very early 90s. I enjoyed it and was surprised it did not get more coverage once the initial press hoo-ha died down. The bunkering was plain in form but well thought out as was the routing.

Tim,

you and Dan should be proud of the work you have done there if it is all to the same standard as that in the photos. I really should get back to Dukes to have another look.

Jon

Sean_A

Re: The evolution of a bunker (with photos) New
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:53:29 AM »
I personally like both the old and new bunker, the clearing behind is what really stands out as a great- Wow improvement.

I like both bunker versions as well.  Was the gorse removed or has the photo angle blocked the view?

I was going to give Dukes a go a while back, but the green fee was higher than the non-TOC links in town..presumably because of the hotel connection...thats a tough sell. 

Ciao 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:52:36 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Tim Liddy

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »
Sean,

A little of both, trimming and angle of photo. Let me know the next time you want to play and will see what I can do.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back