News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

David Gordon, GCA. RIP
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
David Gordon, son of ASGCA original member William Gordon, died October 20 at age 95.

After serving in the Army Air Force in World War II as an instructor pilot in B-24 bombers, Gordon studied at Penn State University, earning a degree in Agronomy. He then joined his father’s golf course design business.
The Gordons designed dozens of golf courses in Pennsylvania, Delaware, Virginia, Ohio, New York and Canada, including: Saucon Valley Country Club (Grace and Weyhill Courses), Bethlehem, Pennsylvania; Browns Run, Middletown, Ohio; Stanwich Club, Greenwich, Connecticut; and Sunny Brook Country Club, Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania.

http://www.gcmonline.com/news-details-page/2017/10/27/golf-course-architect-gordon-dies
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:33:18 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

Re: David Gordon, GCA. RIP
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »
The Gordons were 'the men' for many years in the DelVal.

RIP, David.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 07:25:12 PM »
David Gordon designed the first private golf course I had the opportunity to play: Brown's Run in Middletown, Ohio. I haven't played it in over 11 years (prior to me becoming interested in GCA), but I do recall enjoying it a lot.

I've always enjoyed Gordon designs.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »

Trying to look through my old posts, because I am only 90% certain I am thinking of the right designer.  However, the Air Force connection makes me think I am.

An old timer told me Gordon had a plane and flew everywhere.  I remember thinking he may have been more successful than generally recognized.

But, the more interesting thing from the old timer was his statement that Gordon had a formula for everything.  And those formulas sounded very much like ones I got from Dick Nugent.  Things like width of green front opening varies with length of shot, i.e., 140 yards was 40 feet, 160 yards, 60 feet, etc., all based on proportion to length of approach.

Thought it was a 50's thing, but found myself wondering if such a thing was ever discussed by his father, and thus possibly as far back as in the Ross office, although, if so, they never made it into Ross writings.  However, with his far flung operation, some sort of guidelines for the field crews might make more sense there than in a one man shop.......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

MCirba

Re: David Gordon, GCA. RIP New
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
Back in the early days of the internet I was researching the design origins of many courses in the region before so much architectural information was available I used the old school way of pen and paper and sent a note to Mr. David Gordon asking if you would be so kind to answer questions on courses that I thought he may have been familiar with in terms of design heritage.

He sent me back a very thorough response including detailed information on some of his courses where he parted ways with the Developers before the project was finished and the reasons why.

I've played many many courses designed by David and his father William and it is unsurprising to me that Jeff mentions they had some pretty strict formulas. As a criticism one could say that all of their courses were very sound but only a few were very inspiring. As part of the generation who built so many courses across the country and overseas in the decades following World War II I'm sure such a formula was an economical and prudent way to do things.

In retrospect, I regret that I never took the time to try to meet with him in person. I have the feeling it would have been a very fascinating discussion.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 04:13:07 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back