News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

2017 Design Excellence Awards
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:24:47 PM »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom_Doak

Re: 2017 Design Excellence Awards
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 10:00:23 AM »
Mike:

I give out my own awards of the best things I've seen in my Xmas letter every year ... no jacket required. 

Why don't you use this thread to do the same?  What are the best pieces of work you've seen this year, politics aside?

Most of mine this year were outside the USA.  The one newish course I saw which will get an 8 in The Confidential Guide was South Cape in Korea, by Kyle Phillips.  And the best renovation I saw was Eric Iverson's work on Whistling Rock, also in Korea.

Best unknown course and best course under 5000 yards were one and the same:  Shek O CC in Hong Kong.

Best minimalist design in Asia/Pacific: Kingfisher GC in Saipan, by Graham Matsh.

Most fun set of greens:  royal Sart-Tillman, Belgium, by Tom Simpson.  Before this course and Morfontaine, I never realized how severe his greens could be!  I'm envious!

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »
Tom,

Hmmm...I don't see nearly as much as you but have seen a few this year. 

I don't know if they consider it design but I did like the rework of the trees and sodding etc at Old Town this year.

I liked the 9 hole Winter Park course Keith Rhebb and Riley Johns did.

I liked Stoatin Brae

I liked the rework of the bunkers at Druid Hills in Atlanta that Bill Bergin did

The rework at Chechessee Creek was really good

I will think more and add a few tonite.  Mainly was just stirring things since it was a "closed shop" contest...

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »
The only way to fight a closed shop contest is to show things from a broader perspective.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back