News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Random musings of a reformed butt-boy
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »
I haven’t posted much over the last couple of years but certainly many different topics have tempted me to get back on GCA.com

1. How ridiculously good did LACC look this summer during the event (Curtis Cup) held there???  I think it’s so amazing the job Hanse et al did, they truly restored a gem.  A unique gem at that methinks, LACC must have one of the the most schizophrenic routings in the history of GCA.  Incredible.  I am totally jazzed for the PGA event coming there in a few years, I think it’s a major!!!

2. What say the Treehouse regarding Alotian Club?  I see it rated pretty high in some fish wraps.  As more and more images come available it appears quite spectacular.  For one, the views from elevated tees are tremendous.  The issue I often have with hugely, ackwardly elevated tees is the propensity for lost balls is increased.  But Alotian Club seems DAMN big.  Massive.  Shatloads of turf.  Net sum of all parts?  Seems like a new pinnacle of cart ball!  Rob Rigg is pissed!

3. Did I see a picture of Huckaby in the thread about Wolf Point?  That’s tremendous!!!

4. Anyone care to comment on Tiger Woods first design?
[/size]
5. Is there going to be a 4th course at Streamsong?
[/size]
6. With Doak, C&C, Kidd and Hanse mostly dominating the designs at Bandon, Cabot, Barnbougle, Streamsong and Sand Valley, will Mike Keiser PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE see if he can get Pete Dye to step up and throw down at one of these mega resorts. Just 18 holes for us to enjoy?  I think it would be a masterful move.

7. Will Rory ever win another major again?  I legitimately feel with the arrival of Spieth and Thomas on the scene, he might not.

8. Does anyone have any images to share of the tree work they’ve done at Pine Valley?

9. As a big fan of Tom Doak, what am I missing about his Saint Emilion course?  I’ve been drinking a lot of Burgundy the last couple years and am struggling to see the genius.

10. Did Trump actually improve Turnberry?  From what I’ve seen I’d say yes.  What say the Treehouse?

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom_Doak

Re: Random musings of a reformed butt-boy
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 05:59:34 AM »
6.  Mr Dye would never follow Mr Keiser's formula, so that's not gonna happen, sadly.

9.  You must be missing the eye candy - my clients in France just wanted great golf for a reasonable budget, and clay soils are not the place for lots of gratuitous bunkering.  But they are very happy with the golf course, and they know a lot about golf.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 06:59:42 AM »

9.  You must be missing the eye candy - my clients in France just wanted great golf for a reasonable budget, and clay soils are not the place for lots of gratuitous bunkering.  But they are very happy with the golf course, and they know a lot about golf.

I have read too many of your thoughts over the years, but jeez, that is a great quote. No sarcasm, as it makes me want to finally go play Sands Point, which is probably lower budget on a sandy site?
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

BCowan

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:38:15 AM »

6. With Doak, C&C, Kidd and Hanse mostly dominating the designs at Bandon, Cabot, Barnbougle, Streamsong and Sand Valley, will Mike Keiser PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE see if he can get Pete Dye to step up and throw down at one of these mega resorts. Just 18 holes for us to enjoy?  I think it would be a masterful move.

You don't seem too reformed, how about courses from Andrew Green, Andy Staples, and Rob Collins? 

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:29:48 AM »
2. I really like Alotian. Yes, the site is such that carts are pretty necessary, but it's a big and scenic course and the greens are really good by any measure. Lots of shoulders and falloffs and workarounds.

7. I still think Rory's too talented not to win at least a couple more. Sounds like he's overcoming the health annoyances he'd had the last couple years, and it seems likely that he'll figure out his putting to the point where he'll get his chances and capitalize on the right courses.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »
I read yout title differently, was thinking you are "reformed" and no longer a butt boy.

My only comment is on #7... Rory Who?  He's become almost irrelevant.  But don't feel sad for the guys, he's made more money than he could possibly spend in multiple life times...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back