News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JHoulihan

Titleist AVX golf balls
« on: November 05, 2017, 11:30:46 PM »
This ball is available only in California, Florida, and Arizona.

How many here have tried it?
What were your expectations before purchase?
Were your expectations unmet/met/exceeded after playing 18 holes?
What did you pay for 1 dozen balls?
Who do you think this ball is marketed towards?

I just found a local course here in AZ selling them and am curious to what you initial thoughts are on such a limited rollout to the US market.

Justin

David_Tepper

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Titleist AVX golf balls
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:56:46 AM »
I've seen it here in AZ but won't try it . I don't spend $45/doz for a premium ball even if it's available in yellow. I just bought 2 dozen Costco Kirklands for $35 for 2 dozen including shipping. When they're gone , I'll return to Srixon QStar in yellow at about $25/doz.

https://mygolfspy.com/2018-titleist-avx-golf-ball/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »
Nice to see Titleist coming out with a ball that provides more distance, although I've been told here by some here that golf ball technology is maxed out in terms of improvements.   

Good to see they understand the problem with declining rounds/participation is due to the fact that the ball doesn't go far enough..  ::)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Dave August

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »
Found one on Sat. Played it for four holes.

Distance was solid, not sure about greenside spin but I did have a downwind Gap wedge roll out about 3 feet. Felt really nice off the putter.
I will never pay $48 for a doz golf balls. I am not their market.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »
If you have less than 115 mph club speed, don't bother.  This is the Titleist answer to the Taylormade TP5X.  Ball will fall out of sky without at least 170 mph off club head

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:36:12 PM »
See, that’s the mystery of how a golf ball “feels” and of how/why different golfers find a golf ball “right” for them.
RDM is a top flight golfer who has tons of experience with different equipment; I’m not and I don’t, and so I really should defer to him on such matters.
But, playing persimmon and not having anywhere near 115 mph club head speed, I’ve found the mid-range ball that’s most satisfying for me is the Titlelist DT Trusoft; and that the TM TP5x is the best all-round premium ball for my game. I like everything about it — and much more than the equivalent Titlelists,  Bridgestones, Srixons or Callaways. Most often though, because of price, I play the Noodle — which doesn’t fly as far as either of those higher priced choices and doesn’t feel as good with/off any club in the bag, but at least seems to spin so little it almost eliminates any big hooks or slices.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 01:39:47 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Alex Miller

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 06:40:02 PM »
If you have less than 115 mph club speed, don't bother.  This is the Titleist answer to the Taylormade TP5X.  Ball will fall out of sky without at least 170 mph off club head

If one were, say, a shade under that but produced a lot of spin, would these be worth looking at?

TP5X is a great ball IMO.

JESII

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 06:54:24 PM »
See, that’s the mystery of how a golf ball “feels” and of how/why different golfers find a golf ball “right” for them.
RDM is a top flight golfer who has tons of experience with different equipment; I’m not and I don’t, and so I really should defer to him on such matters.
But, playing persimmon and not having anywhere near 115 mph club head speed, I’ve found the mid-range ball that’s most satisfying for me is the Titlelist DT Trusoft; and that the TM TP5x is the best all-round premium ball for my game. I like everything about it — and much more than the equivalent Titlelists,  Bridgestones, Srixons or Callaways. Most often though, because of price, I play the Noodle — which doesn’t fly as far as either of those higher priced choices and doesn’t feel as good with/off any club in the bag, but at least seems to spin so little it almost eliminates any big hooks or slices.

I’m going to save this for a later date...

Dave August

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 01:39:08 PM »
No. This statement is flat out incorrect.

AVX balls are designed for the golfers who have swing speeds of less than 105 mph (driver). Similar to ChromeSoft. Softer core with a urethane cover. Titleist is testing their product in a sightly different market (for Titleist).

If a golfer is expecting ProV1 or V1x performance, why would they play the "Alternate to V1 and v1X"?

Steve Fekety

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »
I bought a dozen.  Way over priced.  Not a great ball.  I would compare it to the NXT, not an alternative to the V or X.  The guys in my group knew when I was hitting because the ball sounded like garbage, felt pretty awful too.  As Dave suggests, greenside spin is lacking.  If there was anything good about, it is more durable than the V1 or X.  My prediction, that ball will never be mass produced...Back to the TP5X for me...

noonan

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 12:25:40 AM »
I've seen it here in AZ but won't try it . I don't spend $45/doz for a premium ball even if it's available in yellow. I just bought 2 dozen Costco Kirklands for $35 for 2 dozen including shipping. When they're gone , I'll return to Srixon QStar in yellow at about $25/doz.

https://mygolfspy.com/2018-titleist-avx-golf-ball/
I like the Yellow Z Stars for $29 a dozen.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 02:06:29 AM »
I play the Bridgestone e6...seems to be a pretty good ball for me.  Had a sleeve of the TMtp5x or whatever it is, and hit a few...felt like a rock off the club face, and fell out of the sky quickly.  Not a fan, but whatever
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

TAG

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »

If one were, say, a shade under that but produced a lot of spin, would these be worth looking at?

TP5X is a great ball IMO.

Alex- I found this ball to have VERY low spin. This ball may be a good ball for you to look into if you need spin to come down, especially off the driver.

I typically have a relatively low spin trajectory already and found the ball nearly unplayable, in particular with any mid/long irons. The distance was incredible, but the ability to hold a green from 165+ was definitely compromised as a result of the lowered spin. I found wedge shots to be slightly lower spin as well. I'll stick with the ProV1.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back