News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Slotemaker

Re: Silvies Valley Ranch, Oregon -- Reversible Course
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2017, 12:31:17 AM »
Others might have already mentioned this, but I see that Kemper Sports will be managing Silvies Valley Ranch (SVR) golf course here in Oregon. 

This is also the first I have heard of the 8-hole McVeigh's Gauntlet and the 9-hole 3 par Chief Egan course at SVR.  I'm looking forward to checking it out after completely enjoying my time at Hixson's Wine Valley last year.

http://www.kempersports.com/about-us/news/Press-Releases/1/143_SILVIES-VALLEY-RANCH-OPENS-NEW-FRONTIER-RETREAT-DEEP-IN-THE-PURE-WEST#pr

Steve Slotemaker

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:08 PM »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 09:32:49 PM »

The article Steve cites includes a schedule. The two courses open this year in July. The short course near the clubhouse will open later in the year. The McVeigh's Gauntlet hillside course will open in 2016.

I read a recent article that intimated this year's opening would generally be geared towards generating publicity. Found the article at http://btimesherald.com/2017/02/08/court-discusses-retreat-at-silvies-valley-ranch/. The two sentences that stood out are
This summer, The Retreat at Silvies Valley Ranch will host reporters from golf magazines who will write about the retreat and surrounding communities. Marshall said that, in the second year, the retreat will focus on recruiting destination tourists who are “looking for that unique, frontier, Western experience in Silvies Valley
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:21:56 PM by Pete_Pittock »

William_G

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 01:17:12 PM »
hope to go next year or thereafter, thanks
It's all about the golf!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »
Found that article and it is included in Reply 27.

David Sucher

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 02:26:44 AM »
I drove 395 north from Burns. past what I gather must be the course (tho saw no notice or signs etc,) last October.
One of the most beautiful drives I've ever done.
In fact I've driven it twice, actually, and it's splendid country, if you like rolling ranch land.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »

There is a website!    http://www.silviessimplyamazing.com/

Not much there, but its a start. No pricing listed but it should be similar to Bandon costs. I do know it is daily fee for unlimited play. No on-line booking, but you can call for reservations at 877-6-SILVIES.  Too many numbers. 1-800-745 8437 or 541-573 5150.

If you click on the activities page they have total eclipse of the sun packages for 3($1800pp) or 4 nights($2100pp). That includes two days of golf. plus a Marathon Coach eclipse tour. Do not know if they are full.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 01:26:26 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 04:26:46 PM »
Matt Ginella visited the course this week.

"Quite the scouting trip to @SilviesRetreat for Dan Hixson's impressive and super fun reversible routing. (Now open for preview play.)"

Related tweets....

https://twitter.com/MattGinellaGC/status/889924047655628805

https://twitter.com/MattGinellaGC/status/889930298032439296

https://twitter.com/WorldGolfer/status/889929488066379779

https://twitter.com/MattGinellaGC/status/889932351085592576

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:28:23 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Scott Weersing

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »
Hmm, I wonder how Matt got from Bandon to Silvies Valley Ranch. I guess he could drive, or fly from Eugene to Portland to Bend

If you were trying to get from Bandon to Silvies Ranch, it looks like a 6.5 hour drive.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
Scott,

That's the bitch of Oregon.  If you're going to Portland, its super easy and convenient, but getting to pretty much everything else is a PIA.

Its a fact of life living west of the Mississippi...

P.S.  The closest big city to Salt Lake City is Vegas...6 hours away.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
I hope a couple of posters from our site will get to this place soon, so we can stop linking the p.r. stuff and actually hear a first-hand report on the course.  I enjoyed talking to Dan Hixson about it at The Loop last summer.  The two courses are very different, but it looks like he had a really dramatic piece of land to build on.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 03:55:18 PM »
I hope a couple of posters from our site will get to this place soon, so we can stop linking the p.r. stuff and actually hear a first-hand report on the course.  I enjoyed talking to Dan Hixson about it at The Loop last summer.  The two courses are very different, but it looks like he had a really dramatic piece of land to build on.
Pete Pittock was to play when first opened. Haven't heard back about it. Guess he has been to busy fending off my Sagebrush critisms.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
Was going to as soon as medical issue clears up. It will be without pictures for the meantime.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2017, 05:42:45 PM »
Was going to as soon as medical issue clears up. It will be without pictures for the meantime. Spent the last two hours getting an attack on my computer closed down didn't help.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »
I expect to go there in September.  Will fly into Boise - slightly less than three hours from there.

I worked with Dan (and got to know Slag) during the opening of Wine Valley.  Dan is a smart and talented guy, and I have no doubt that Silvies is an incredible golf experience.  Like Tom D, I am eager to begin hearing the tales of actual visitors!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2017, 09:22:38 PM »
Bear with me. After some issues I am about 1/6 done editing/labelling the pictures. There are two ways I can design the thread. Would you like to see the courses from beginning to end, or focus on one section of both courses, for example 1-3 of Hankins is also 17-18 Craddock and then continue to the next section. That could go sideways when the routes diverge.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2017, 09:32:02 PM »
I'd go sequentially for each course, as you'd experience it if playing one, then the other.

But that's just me  ;)

Thanks for photos!!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Steve Slotemaker

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2017, 12:08:24 AM »
Pete, I appreciate your time and effort in providing us a window in to Silvies Valley's course(s).  It is an interesting question you pose.  I'd agree with Brad that going sequentially as if played makes the most sense.  It will be neat to reference back (e.g. 1 Hankins / 18 Craddock) when reviewing to pick up on how Dan worked through the design/playability issues. Wonder if it warrants different posts that could be linked one to another by paired course holes? 

I'm still hopeful to get out there before the winter hits us!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2017, 01:18:28 AM »
In any case you will have to refer to the map on the Silvies website. No map on the scorecard, no yardage book available at the time of the visit. The Hankins course was previously named the Grant course.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Howard Riefs

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:10:34 AM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 11:29:19 AM »

This is the Craddock Loop.  I was fortunate to play both loops and several weeks earlier played the loops at Forest Dunes.  Both are sensational courses but only similar in Loop capabilities.   Silvies Ranch is similar to Rock Creek, whereas I felt like Forest Dunes was closer to Walton Heath in the fall.  Obviously this should be taken as a feel for the property, not as design copy.  Silvies Ranch is around 4000 elevation, so the ball flies a good 15-20 more on the drive.  Pretty certain that it will try to play as firm as Wine Valley once the grass has matured.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 11:34:11 AM »
%5BURL=http://s37.photobucket.com/user/rsfpar/media/silvies%20valley%20ranch/harney%20course/122_zpswk9x7qvk.jpg.html%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e69/rsfpar/silvies%20valley%20ranch/harney%20course/122_zpswk9x7qvk.jpg%5B/IMG%5D%5B/URL%5D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:40:03 AM by Robert Mercer Deruntz »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back