News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Cowden

Re: Donald Ross- which is your favorite and why?
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2017, 12:58:32 AM »
I'm a West Coast guy, know shamefully little of Ross, but Holston Hills was a treat and a half.  Wonderful strategy and greens.  Yet it's rarely mentioned here.  If that's an example of his lesser work, I've got to get out more.

Matt DeVito

« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »
I would have to go with Seminole as my favorite Ross design. Beyond the Seminole, Pinehurst, Oak Hill big names, there are so many great Ross hidden gems such as Montclair in West Orange NJ or Teugega in Rome NY.

Pat Burke

« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2017, 02:50:50 PM »
Grew up at Deal (NJ), and have played a number of Ross courses.

Plainfield is amazing to me.  Just sits in front of you, and confounds.

Seminole was amazing as well.
Pinehurst, I played number 4 as a kid, and number 2.  I loved them, but I much preferred the above two.

Spent a lot of time at Mountain Ridge, and it was just a lot of fun every night we played

Adam T

« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2017, 11:31:15 PM »

Shennecossett - hidden gem status.  This scruffy little muni is awesome and the bar in the clubhouse is top notch.  I didn't mind the holes down by the water but they're definitely crammed in and out of character.  The par 3s (minus the new one) are top notch.
Josh-Solid review of Shennecossett especially the new holes.  I wonder about those three new holes(15-17) whenever I play and think that instead of starting with the par 3 you could have a much nicer look at the Thames River straight on with a tee shot from where the new 17th green now sits to the new 16th green. You could have two threes on 16 and 17 with plenty of room or a 3 and a short 4(par stays the same)before you cross the street. Its a blast every time you play and the wind off the River and LI Sound lurks and usually blows. If you are a Groton resident and show up in Town Hall to pay your yearly ticket you should have a gun and a mask because correct me if I'm wrong but that's a 211 in progress.

I love seeing Shennecossett discussed on our forums. Shenny is where I learned to love golf course architecture, especially that by Donald Ross. I agree that more could be done with the property on holes 15-17, but I also do not feel that they diminish a terrific experience as they stand.

14 of my current 168 are Ross courses. By "tier" rather than individual rank:

1A
Pinehurst #2
Pine Needles
Roaring Gap Club
Shennecossett

1B
Cape Fear Country Club

Alamance Country Club
Country Club of Waterbury
Mark Bostick Golf Course

3A
Hope Valley Country Club
Southern Pines Golf Club
Wilmington Municipal Golf Course

3B
Asheboro Municipal Golf Course
Bass River Golf Club
Pinehurst #1
Pinehurst #3

Next on the docket for me is Mid Pines. Next on the dream list are Seminole and Holston Hills...

Declan Kavanagh

« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2017, 12:39:27 AM »

Hey Jud - I did not think Bob O was a Ross.  Are you sure?

1.  #2
2.  Old Elm
3. Skokie
4. Beverly
5. Barton Hills
6. Exmoor
7. Bob'O'Link
8. Broadmoor
9. Pine Needles
10. Ravisloe
11. Kenosha CC
12. Kingswood, NH

Apparently I haven't met a Ross course I don't like as I'd recommend any and all of these tracks, even if some may allow the occasional fivesome...

Jason Kang

« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2017, 06:13:05 AM »
Like Jud T, I've never met a Ross I didn't like.  Have to recommend my wife's home club, Kahkwa, a great example of the "Ross family course."  An early passenger on the tree-clearing/keep-the-course-thirsty train, and the old timers say it's in the best condition they've seen in two generations. Has hosted multiple USGA events.  John Daly won a mini tour event there a few weeks before Crooked Stick, Brian Gay has the pro course record.  Worth a call from your pro and a drive over if you're checking out Cleveland, Buffalo, or Pittsburgh courses.  The great man came to town and laid out the original 9 (the back), and then the current front was laid out by either Ross or an associate.

Even though he didn't have templates as presented by other architects, it would be cool to see a thread about different routing habits of his, e.g. A dogleg right uphill over a ridge, par 3 connector, and back down the hill. Or if somebody is better at the internet and can direct me, then thanks.

Also, there is very little Ross left at Bob O'Link. He spent two days on site and did the original routing, but CH Alison came in after him. 

Hey Jud - I did not think Bob O was a Ross.  Are you sure?

1.  #2
2.  Old Elm
3. Skokie
4. Beverly
5. Barton Hills
6. Exmoor
7. Bob'O'Link
8. Broadmoor
9. Pine Needles
10. Ravisloe
11. Kenosha CC
12. Kingswood, NH

Apparently I haven't met a Ross course I don't like as I'd recommend any and all of these tracks, even if some may allow the occasional fivesome...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:32:18 AM by Jason Kang »

Jack Carney

« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »
I might have miss it but NO ONE mentioned The Orchards and it is primarily undisturbed from the original design. TIMELESS.
I also like Holston Hills a bunch - its so good it makes you play better. Also Seminole is one of the absolute best uses of land in thee country which is enhanced by the fact that the other two bids on the property wanted to take the dunes down and fill in the lakes below! In  Texas - River Oaks is one of Mr Ross's best. The best Ross is without a doubt is Aronimink and the fairly resent reduction of 8000 trees really gives you a renewed feel for the land and therefore the design.

Michael George

Re: Donald Ross- which is your favorite and why? New
« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »
If you forget history and reputation and just evaluate the golf course, I rate the Ross courses that I have played as follows:

1  Essex County (MA) - loved everything about it....except maybe the 17th (don't know if it is good quirky or just boring slog up the hill)
2  Pinehurst #2 - incredible start and finish and great greens, but gets bland in the middle other than #9
3  Brookside (Canton) - maybe the best golf course in Ohio.  Incredibly fun course and tree removal/fescue has enhanced it
4  Inverness - some of the best Ross holes that I have played...just don't like the par 3s and routing a little back/forth
5  Roaring Gap - great overall experience and incredible back 9....only down side is a slow start 1-3.
6  Franklin Hills - the best Ross in Michigan and very fine course
7  Oakland Hills South - great greens and loved 10 and 11...the members should restore the Ross course and forget tournaments
8  Lake Sunapee - a true sleeper with their tree removal...great setting and really fun golf course to play
9  Oak Hill West - more entertaining than the East course
10 Oak Hill West - some great holes (1,2,9,10,13, 18) and some holes that just don't fit with a Ross course (5,6, 16)
11 Scioto - The best all around country club in Ohio....but the greenside bunkering is wholly inconsistent with Ross and some boring holes
12 Congress Lake - a nice little Ross in north Canton.  Worth playing
13  Acacia (NLE)
14  Hawthorne Valley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 10:30:38 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back