News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Greg Norman Aims to Make The Golf Course Experience Bigger and Better
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 07:42:21 PM »
We can't be far from automated maintenance. Why can't robots mow at night?  Video, at request, giving lessons. Self raking bunkers. George Jetson cocktails and treats. Book making computers in the lounge. Utopia. Ok, a waitress for the perverts. Just a short walk off site of course.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 08:41:09 PM »
Don't know where this is going.  I'm just so weary of Greg Normand.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 08:44:02 PM »
We all grow weary of our dreams when faced with our failures.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »
And his.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »
Please, name where he failed.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 06:27:52 AM »
For the avoidance of doubt - while most Australians of my age idolised the man in his prime as an amazing golfer, we almost universally feel he has not aged well. 

egoistical,  painfully vain, narcissistic, republican and suffering an extreme case of "limelight deprivation syndrome" 

On the other hand, most Australians of the younger generation haven't the foggiest who he is, and those that do wonder why the sad old git cant just fade away with dignity.

We are no rush to have him sent back to us.  America deserves him.

Don Jordan

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 08:10:50 AM »
Greg is American right  8) you guys can keep him

BHoover

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
Greg is American right  8) you guys can keep him

Nope, he will ALWAYS be an Aussie. You can’t disown him. He’s Aussie through and through...just like Mick Dundee.

At best, you can say he’s a Floridian.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:30:19 AM by BHoover »

MCirba

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
Can I get a massage with that?

All this sitting around in carts is making me stiff.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tim Martin

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 09:43:40 AM »
For the avoidance of doubt - while most Australians of my age idolised the man in his prime as an amazing golfer, we almost universally feel he has not aged well. 

egoistical,  painfully vain, narcissistic, republican and suffering an extreme case of "limelight deprivation syndrome" 

On the other hand, most Australians of the younger generation haven't the foggiest who he is, and those that do wonder why the sad old git cant just fade away with dignity.

We are no rush to have him sent back to us.  America deserves him.

How about if we send back Mel Gibson and Hugh Jackman too? ;)

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »

Just look at Bowling and see that where it is thriving , the atmosphere has become closer to an electronic rave party than Bud & Bills's Beer hall. A friend of mine owns a chain of bowling facilities and is virtually killing it five-out-of-seven nights a week, with hour long waits for lanes. As he put it..."once I learned how to turn the sport into a disco dance, everyone went from frowns to smiles." One look at the single biggest growing segment of golf-related business (Top Golf) confirms the millennial attraction to shiny things, comfortable couches and cup holders.

Then let them bowl,  I say. Or play Top Golf.

The cat's already out of the bag with younger players driving around the course blasting music. Why are you even on the golf course if you can't go a few hours without hearing music, watching videos or calling/texting?

Golf doesn't need to grow if this is where it's heading. The game isn't meant for everyone.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Thomas Dai

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
...........”limelight deprivation syndrome"

Great phrase! :)

Tranquillity, serenity and peace and quiet are some of the nicest aspects of golf. The ability to have somewhere where it’s possible to get away from the hustle and bustle and noise of everyday life. It would be a great shame if such were obliterated.
Atb

Mike_Young

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 11:04:00 AM »

He couldn't keep up with Chrissie...wore him out...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 11:28:21 AM »
John does make a good point here.

All of the least enjoyable rounds in my life had nothing to do with the course, weather, machines, etc....it was due to being stuck with "that guy"....and I think everyone here has at least some experience with that.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »
Many Minnesota clubs -- including mine -- are wrestling with the "music on the course" issue. There's not much middle ground: the noise crowd wants to know why the old farts are harshing their buzz, and the old farts want to know why you want noise on the golf course.

I do know that there are younger players who are voting with their feet and leaving clubs that don't approve of, or allow, music on the golf course. When it becomes a significant enough economic issue, be prepared to hear "Long Train Running" or "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in your backswing.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

BHoover

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
Many Minnesota clubs -- including mine -- are wrestling with the "music on the course" issue. There's not much middle ground: the noise crowd wants to know why the old farts are harshing their buzz, and the old farts want to know why you want noise on the golf course.

I do know that there are younger players who are voting with their feet and leaving clubs that don't approve of, or allow, music on the golf course. When it becomes a significant enough economic issue, be prepared to hear "Long Train Running" or "Smells Like Teen Spirit" in your backswing.

The issue, in my humble opinion, is that your club is going about this all wrong. You go with the Greg Norman Experience, problem solved. It’s not enough to allow music, you need to enlarge and enhance the experience.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »

Others have covered it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 11:57:22 AM »
Seems to me that.. other than the rich/well endowed clubs... this is a classic case of biting the hand that will eventually feed them.

Adapt to what the youngsters want more of, Keep the club open, and keep playing....or don't and close.  Perhaps a bit of pick your poison, but I would think keeping it open would be more interesting...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »
I've golfed my ball now for 50 years and there have been many cultural changes that the purists fought. To reverse those today would mostly be criminal.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 02:18:54 PM »
I played a course in Colorado that had classic rock piped through speakers on the range. It was great. It was fairly loud too as I could hear it while I played the first few holes. It was the only time I ever started a round with four straight birdies. But I do agree that I need to hear what I like. I could not play listening to reggae or rap. Hard and heavy work though.
Mr Hurricane

Tom_Doak

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 02:39:11 PM »

One of the things that's so puzzling about the golf business is that everyone talks about it as if everybody has to follow the same path.

I agree with what you've written about, and surely the solution should be that some clubs allow music, and others do not, and golfers can gravitate to the place they're happier with.

Unfortunately, it rarely works that way.  Private club members are locked into one particular place which has to have a contentious yes or no vote about it; and daily fee operators tend to decide they can't give up any potential customer, so they will generally bow to whichever way the wind is blowing.

If clubs could cooperate better, they could just trade some of the members who like their peace and quiet over to the stodgy old course, in return for younger members. 

And don't be so sure that there aren't any younger people that would prefer to keep the golf course quiet.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 02:44:32 PM »
Tom,

I may be off on this one, but for this to work wouldn't the clubs have to be in the same general proximity and similar quality?

If my course is a DS 7 and the other one is a DS 4, would that matter?
And
Its one thing to drive an extra 15 minutes to the "cool/hipster" club, but would you drive an extra hour+ to switch?

Mike_Young

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 09:49:05 PM »
GN is used by so many and proclaimed a business man...if you can play golf at his level, have a 32 inch waist, straight teeth and blonde hair you can market a lot of stuff as a front man...Could be wine, golf car TV's, or anything.

As for music on the course...any of you ever notice how much weed use has picked up with some of the younger and older groups while playing?   The one hitters and joints are becoming more popular...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Josh Stevens

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2017, 10:07:49 PM »
I'm not quite sure when golf ceased to be a sport that we played for fun, exercise, fellowship, beer and bit of non-lethal competition.

I must have missed the memo where it became an "experience"

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2017, 10:18:40 PM »
How strange that what we once all got for absolutely free — ie peace and quiet on a golf course — will cost us more and more in the years to come. The very finest, most prestigious, most historic, highest rated, and most far-flung clubs and courses will be the only ones offering “peace and quiet” as part of the joy of playing golf — and they will be able to charge a great deal for that (increasingly) rare privilege.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back