News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

25 Courses That Offer The Most Bang For Your Buck
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
Sounds like a Matt Ward article...but it's not.  I'm pleased to see Jeffersonville and Goat Hill Park on the list as well as the usual suspects:

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/25-courses-that-offer-the-most-bang-for-your-buck
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Howard Riefs

Re: 25 Courses That Offer The Most Bang For Your Buck
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »
And congrats to those GCA’ers whose courses are represented in the list, including:

CommonGround
Rustic Canyon
Sweetens Cove
Mount Prospect
Keller
Diamond Springs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:10:03 PM »
Mulranny.
atb

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 04:34:59 PM »

And congrats to those GCA’ers whose courses are represented in the list, including:

CommonGround
Rustic Canyon
Sweetens Cove
Mount Prospect
Keller
Diamond Springs

The Quarry at Giants Ridge was on the list, too.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:06:17 PM »
From the list, I have played Coronado, Rustic Canyon, Commonground, and Wailua.

Commonground and Rustic Canyon are legit great and at their prices make me very jealous that I do not live nearby. Wailua is a decent course that could be really good with some better maintenance but given its location and the other options on the island is such an amazing deal that it would be a crime for it not to be on any list like this. For me, Coronado is a bit of a disappointment. It's not a very interesting course. The shoreline of the bay there is pretty meh. The views being right under the bridge are cool but that only goes so far. Belmont Park is cheaper and a better golf course, IMHO.

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 05:41:51 PM »

CommonGround
Rustic Canyon
Sweetens Cove
Mount Prospect
Keller
Diamond Springs

I spend 3 weeks every summer in Northern Minnesota and I make a point to drive the 250 miles round trip once a week to play the course.

If it was located near any Metro Area in the US, it would be a top 100 Modern course.

It is a great round of golf.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
Glen Erin in Janesville , WI. Paid $39 which included the cart on a prime time on a Sunday in August. Would put it top 20 in Wisconsin - could use a bit of tree removal in a few spots but all in all a really well designed, affordable course. Probably not on any magazines list but I found it to be a very nice surprise .
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:56:54 PM by J_ Crisham »

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
This gca'er is a member of the Coronado Men's Golf Club and really looks forward to their monthly weekend tournaments; I spent 5 years on the waiting list to get in. Aside from the par 5 4th which has 2 fairway bunkers and the par 4 16 th which uses Glorieta Bay down the right side as a hazard every other driving hole employs one fairway bunker where challenging it provides the best angle of attack. Less skilled golfers can play away from them and still stay in play. Granted the shoreline could be better integrated but I believe there is a public passage issue there. You can easily push a drive onto the beach on #17. But the real strength of the course is the subtly of the greens, putts that look straight break just as often as ones that just have break stay straight.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »
If Aiken GC isn't on this list, then the list is an epic fail.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 07:34:52 PM »
If Aiken GC isn't on this list, then the list is an epic fail.

Maybe the list should have been 40 courses long.

I'm a man.  I'm forty!

:)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Chris Mavros

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 08:26:14 PM »
I agree with the ones I've played on the list, especially Jeffersonville.  I've really enjoyed watching it improve into what it is today from 15 years ago.  Really one of the better municipal courses I can think of, and can still walk it for $20 during the week! 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 08:28:03 PM »
Bank for the buck. Join a local club.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »

CommonGround
Rustic Canyon
Sweetens Cove
Mount Prospect
Keller
Diamond Springs

Played the Legend in Sept.  Been many years since I played it. Had forgotten how fun it is. Couple years ago played Quarry and it was in perfect condition. For this to happen on the Iron Range is amazing

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
I had nominated Keller GC a while back, along with Lawsonia. I'm the "Minnesota Course Panelist" that is quoted, but now I realize I meant to write that holes 12-16 are as good of a stretch of holes in Minnesota (#11 is more of an average hole).

Overall, it's a great golf course for $35. A couple years ago at the Mashie, they charged us the fall rate which was about $18, which is an incredible deal.

I have yet to make the trip up to the Quarry at Giants Ridge. Need to get up there...maybe next year!
H.P.S.

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2017, 09:26:03 PM »
Nice to see George Wright on this list, as that's the course I play more than any other around Boston.  Boston residents being able to get unlimited play at George Wright and the other muni, Franklin Park, for $1300/year is a really great deal considering the cost of golf around here.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 03:01:56 AM »
A bunch of worthy courses listed here, but there are also several with green fees over $100.  Could they really not find 25 worthwhile courses under $100?

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 03:57:18 AM »
Bang for the buck implies good value, which can be had from the cheapest or most expensive course.  If there is no price cut-off one may as well list 25 favourites.

I thought for sure Aiken would be on the list and maybe the Wilmington muni, but I guess they are trying to spread the love, which is okay.

Ciao 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 08:37:36 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 06:26:52 AM »
Mooresville Golf Club outside of Charlotte was closed for 2 years while Kris Spence did a redesign/restoration and is really good - green fees start at $17 and annual memberships as low as $1200.

Michael Blake

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 07:03:15 AM »
I played LuLu last week for $35.
End of discussion.

jeffwarne

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 08:05:51 AM »
I played LuLu last week for $35.
End of discussion.

Good example.

Interesting to see a list with 6 courses in the $100 plus range mainly in pretty rural and even remote areas.
and a few even $120-130. Must be really good courses if that's value.
But at that price (and "value" measure)you might as well include Bandon or Streamsong

Most of these courses can't hold a candle to Shennecossett or Aiken Golf Club-about $35 and $25 walking in season.Even Central and south Florida have better value than these in season. (West Palm Beach and Ocala GC)

A few good entries but mostly just back scratching lazy (and probably paid )hype
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brian Finn

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 08:36:52 AM »
Ashley Mayo (co-author) is the wrong person to be contributing to such a list.  Follow her on social media and you will see that she rarely (if ever) visits these courses, or many like them.

I really like the Sugarloaf Social Club "Hidden Gem Project," which works off the same basic concept, but has a much more genuine result.  www.sugarloafsocialclub.com/hidden-gem-project/
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 08:51:57 AM »
Ashley Mayo (co-author) is the wrong person to be contributing to such a list.  Follow her on social media and you will see that she rarely (if ever) visits these courses, or many like them.

I really like the Sugarloaf Social Club "Hidden Gem Project," which works off the same basic concept, but has a much more genuine result.  www.sugarloafsocialclub.com/hidden-gem-project/

Very nice Brian.
Good stuff.

I will quibble though as Poxabogue is a nice breakfast and a good family course but it's par 3 dominated and quite pricey in season(better, cheaper 9 hole options abound in area (sag Harbor, Goat Hill)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brian Finn

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »

Very nice Brian.
Good stuff.

I will quibble though as Poxabogue is a nice breakfast and a good family course but it's par 3 dominated and quite pricey in season(better, cheaper 9 hole options abound in area (sag Harbor, Goat Hill)

I agree with you.  I sent them a handful of courses that I don't think they've added yet (e.g. Swope Memorial in Kansas City, West Palm Beach GC, Bethpage Green), and perhaps they don't meet their criteria, but in any event, I feel like they are much closer to the mark on this idea.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

BCowan

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 10:59:40 AM »
Ravisloe
Ocala gc
Champion Hills
Palatka

Bill Seitz

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »
Kankakee Elks is probably the best value in Illinois, especially when you take into account the fact that it's usually not very crowded, and fairly well maintained.   Tops out at $30 walking, but I can't remember ever paying more than about $15.  Who needs bunkers anyway?  Spring Valley is a little cheaper, but probably a little more crowded and not quite as well maintained, but still a fantastic value.

Aside from a few outliers, this list seemed to focus more on bang than buck.  Though Old Works for $100 all day is a pretty darn good deal if you're up for a full day of golf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back