News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

What do you think about removing these trees?
« on: October 07, 2017, 03:59:53 AM »
Sorry about resorting to a Facebook link. I can't get the images up any other way.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210488437067359&set=a.10200118360381923.1073741827.1237857982&type=3&theater

Our greenkeeper and greens chairman want to take out these trees - among many others.

A sizeable proportion of our membership is up in arms about it, and we have an emergency general meeting next week to thrash it out.

I'd be interested in some non-partisan knowledgeable opinion.

Am I in the right place?  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 05:49:42 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Matt Dawson

Re: What do you think about removing these trees?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 04:17:46 AM »
Pictures not viewable Duncan, for me at least.

Photobucket?

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 04:35:15 AM »
Shit.

They come up okay for me, so I assumed that all was well.

I'll try to sort it.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 04:47:28 AM »
Duncan,

Nice post on another thread from Rick Lane -

"Good tip for anyone working on a golf committee or looking at tree removal that I got from a USGA agronomist one day.
We were looking at a pair of 80 year old trees that (IMHO), were not in a good spot, in front of both greenside bunkers on a par 3, blocking them, and limiting tee to green options.
The question he taught me to ask:  "If they were not there, would you plant them there now?" Boom, lightbulb." 

"If they were not there, would you plant them now?"

atb

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »
Duncan, the link wouldn't open for me, either.  However, I'd ask:  What does each side say, that is, what are the expressed pros and cons for removing these trees?

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 10:37:18 AM »
Looks much better with them out. 

Interesting comment from the non-golfer on Facebook.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 10:42:28 AM »
The members’ opinions shouldn’t count because they will be emotion-based, riddled with sentimentality and full of stupid words like “framing”.  The superintendent should get consulting opinions from an architect and maybe an agronomist and the three of them should be empowered to make the correct removal decisions. A group of members will squeal like pigs and next year they’ll realize the course looks better and still plays just as tough.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »
The members’ opinions shouldn’t count because they will be emotion-based, riddled with sentimentality and full of stupid words like “framing”.  The superintendent should get consulting opinions from an architect and maybe an agronomist and the three of them should be empowered to make the correct removal decisions. A group of members will squeal like pigs and next year they’ll realize the course looks better and still plays just as tough.

100% spot on.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »

Duncan,

better without them in my opinion.

Jon

Mark_Fine

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »
I can't bring up the photos but I wouldn't make a recommendation based on photos anyway.  Bad move. 

Hire a qualified architect, someone who is willing to take some time to study and get to know your golf course and get their recommendation. 

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 01:33:09 AM »
I can't bring up the photos but I wouldn't make a recommendation based on photos anyway.  Bad move. 

Hire a qualified architect, someone who is willing to take some time to study and get to know your golf course and get their recommendation.

I couldn't agree more.

We have just engaged Ken Moodie of Creative Golf Design to do a detailed report on all aspects of the course and give his recommendations. Ken has been responsible for the renovations at several prominent MacKenzie courses, including Alwoodley, Moortown, Lindrick, and Hadley Wood.

Ken has recently moved to our area and has also joined the club.

Unfortunately he is arriving just as a major controversy over tree removal is reaching a climax. If he stepped in at this stage and advocated the chainsaw he would find it difficult if not impossible to gain the trust of the tree huggers

There is a long game and a short game at play here.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:50:29 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 04:42:28 PM »
Duncan,
Sounds like you made a good choice with your hire.  I wish him and you good luck.  Of all aspects of course renovation work, trees tend to be the most controversial thing I have to deal with.
Mark

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 05:00:33 PM »
Duncan -

We went through this in 2012/13.
I'm sure you have all the jargon assembled to discuss the value of tree removal for strategic/golf reasons.

However, we used a few other complimentary approaches with the "tree huggers".

1. We referred to it NOT as "tree remediation or deletion" but rather as "trophy/specimen tree preservation". (Removal of understory or "sucker" trees.)

2. When confronted by emotional members, we in turn asked them:

"Mrs. "Smith", do you have a garden at home?"

- why, yes, I do.

"Do you ever weed your garden?"

-Of course I do.

"Why?"

-Because weeds are ugly and they rob nutrients from my flowers.

"Did you plant the weeds on purpose?

- Lord heavens, NO! They fall from other trees and just take root.

You get the picture. It worked.

V_Halyard

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 02:46:11 PM »
Sorry about resorting to a Facebook link. I can't get the images up any other way.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10210488437067359&set=a.10200118360381923.1073741827.1237857982&type=3&theater

Our greenkeeper and greens chairman want to take out these trees - among many others.

A sizeable proportion of our membership is up in arms about it, and we have an emergency general meeting next week to thrash it out.

You are in the right place. There are many here that have gone through this.
As a tree war and a restoration survivor, I offer these two suggestions that were priceless to our effort. 
1:Enage the USGA Turf advisory asap as a 3rd party
2: Engage an arborist as a 3rd party who may surprise you and your membership with enlightenment regarding the effects of poor tree management. It can harm both the health of their investment (Greens, Turf, lines of play) as well as harm healthy trees worth featuring.
There are so many other things to consider but those proved to be a good place to start for us.

"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 02:52:04 PM »

You are in the right place. There are many here that have gone through this.
As a tree war and a restoration survivor, I offer these two suggestions that were priceless to our effort. 
1:Enage the USGA Turf advisory asap as a 3rd party
2: Engage an arborist as a 3rd party who may surprise you and your membership with enlightenment regarding the effects of poor tree management. It can harm both the health of their investment (Greens, Turf, lines of play) as well as harm healthy trees worth featuring.
There are so many other things to consider but those proved to be a good place to start for us.

100% spot-on!!

If you present to the membership with background data and info from:

1. USGA regional turf rep
2. Local arborist
3. Retained GCA
4. Superintendent

....it pretty much neuters 95% of the emotion and takes member agendas out of play.

Good luck!!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
Except it’ll be the STRI local guy you’ll need...

;D
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back