News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Silly as it may seem, a return visit to a favorite course is not without trepidation. In the case of Westward Ho!, I hadn’t been there in 18 years since a fabulous time with my father where we played with the local (I think retired) mailman. It was such a grand time that I commissioned a painting of the 6th hole. What if somehow I was let down this go around, maybe having over-hyped it in my own mind?

Yet, two things were on my side for the return:  history and the club’s management of the course.

History, defined by prose from my very favorite writers - Horace Hutchinson, Bernard Darwin, Frank Pennick, Pat Ward-Thomas, Patric Dickinson, Sir Peter Allen et al. – all crowing about the merits of the place.

And in terms of course management, little has changed since such praise was penned. Any risk that the course had been altered was non-existent other some back tees; the only real thing that has changed over time are the parameters that define what is 'great.’

Yet, parameters/perceptions of the typical modern golfer are easy to dismiss. Most can’t articulate what they like and once they spew pabulum about visibility and ‘you get what you hit’, my eyes glaze over. They are looking for something different from the game. I prefer mystery, variety and idiosyncrasy. So if you put things in front of me - sleepered bunkers, sheep, Giant Sea Rushes, revetted pits, horses, lumpy-bumpy land and a variety of green placements, I am bound to be enthralled.  And so it was two weeks ago and I am more smitten than ever with the place.

In fact,  the more the modern game changes, the more time I will be in Devon. And I won't wait nearly so long for a return visit! Hope you enjoy the updated profiles of one of the game's quintessential classics.

Here is the link:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/england/royal-north-devon/

Best,
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:48:38 AM by Ran Morrissett »

John Mayhugh

Re: Updated Royal North Devon profile posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:23:50 PM »
I'm so glad you updated this profile. The sheep crossing the bridge is such an appropriate introduction. 

I've only been to RND once, but spent a full day there (54 holes with the same ball) and hated to see the sun go down.  It's so different from the manicured playing ground that most of us are used to, but it's about as fun as anywhere I've been.  I won't wait as long as you did to return.

On an older thread, Sean Arble had it right.
I still think everybody should see the course not only because of the rushes and one or two other truly outstanding holes, but also because the club is a gem.  There should be a mandatory Westward Ho! tax on all golfing tourists landing in one of England's airports.  The money should be sent directly to Westward Ho! and the visitor supplied with a ticket for one free (how is that government talk - tee hee) green fee - regardless if he intends to visit the club. The same should apply for Painswick and Kington - its entirely reasonable and justified tax.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:28:27 PM »
Well done, Ran.  Brings back lots of memories from 36 a few years ago.  Hope all is well.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Sam Krume

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 05:01:33 AM »
Introduced my brother in law to links golf here about 18 years ago. 4 club wind with a slight drizzle, he stood on the 1st and muttered "Where's the golf course, where do i hit?". Another gem was standing on the 5th tee asking"Does every links course have horses and sheep around their greens!!!" Needless to say after completing our round, his 1st words after coming off the 18th green was "Do we have time for another 18". Many many happy memories of RND. Forget what you here regarding the rushes and the flatter part of the course, a must visit for all golfers.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:26:08 AM »
A splendid profile with terrific accompanying photos. A big 'well done'! :)
atb

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 10:39:11 AM »
Awesome write up. That 6th fairway is unreal!
H.P.S.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »
I was an overseas member for about five years and played the course four or five days every year. I usually played 36 holes a day. As a member I played in club competitions. One unusually windy rainy day I played 63 holes. I had wanted to play 60 holes around the time of my 60th birthday. RND is a special place. Four through eleven are just wonderful holes. Nine is one the most brilliant par fives in England. I love the place. It will never be in anyone's top hundred greatest but it is in my top ten greatest experiences in golf.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:31:24 AM »
Ran, did they turn 13 into a par four? I thought, because of the greens complex, that it was one the great short par fives around.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
Hit it anywhere but accept the distance off line penalty-- classic simplicity.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 09:16:12 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
A couple of queries -

1) About 30 yds short-left of the 6th green, up against the fence-line, appears to be a flat topped raised plateau. Was this a green sometime in the past?

2) Were the 1st and 17th greens ever one (double) green? The proximity and back-to-back relationship to each other makes me wonder if they once were.

Atb

Richard Fisher

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 08:22:41 AM »
Ran is bang on the money. A blustery autumn day at Westward Ho!, with the golfer just one of many people (and animals) enjoying the unique terrain of Northam Burrows, is one of the supreme experiences that British golf has to offer, up there (I think) with a day at Prestwick - a course (and club) of similar history, idiosyncrasy, challenge and - ultimately - greatness. I'm also in complete agreement with Tommy that the stretch from the fourth to the eleventh is one of the truly inspired runs of holes in the world of golf.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 04:37:22 AM »

John,

Sean is our version of Patric Dickinson!

Tommy,

You are right - 13 is marked as a par 5 - I never knew that (and I too was an overseas member in the 1990s)!

Thomas,

I was told in the clubhouse that the 6th green might be an example of one that Fowler moved but that they have trouble conclusively proving that. Was it moved from that flattish area? I will try and find out. Re 1 and 17, both holes were added at the same time (and not by Old Tom Morris) but I have never read that it was ever a double green.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 11:27:24 PM »

John,

And I am our Patric Dickinson borrower. I just updated my replication of Dickinson's description of RND. I only have time to restore the pictures from photobucket to flickr for the replication of the Dickinson's chapter at this time.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54567.msg1259578.html#msg1259578
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff Johnston

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 06:19:27 AM »

John,

Tommy,

You are right - 13 is marked as a par 5 - I never knew that (and I too was an overseas member in the 1990s)!

Thomas,

I was told in the clubhouse that the 6th green might be an example of one that Fowler moved but that they have trouble conclusively proving that. Was it moved from that flattish area? I will try and find out. Re 1 and 17, both holes were added at the same time (and not by Old Tom Morris) but I have never read that it was ever a double green.

Thomas, Ran,

re the 6th green, this has stirred something in my head which has slightly puzzled me before. IIRC in Dickinson's RND chapter he has one of his little line drawings / sketches depicting the driving line and approach to the 6th (maybe Garland or someone else more technically adept than me could post?) which depicts the hole as having more of a left turn (and the approach more sharply uphill)  than is currently the case - maybe Dickinson's drawing depicts an old green? Just putting it out there....

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 08:52:48 AM »
Westward Ho! has always fascinated me. I think I would love it.

Looks like they are slowly replacing the bunkers with Envirobunker or its equivalent. Artificial sod walls. Not so sure I like the look that much.

Ally

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back