News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cristian

Architects top 100
« on: October 03, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »
http://digital.tudor-rose.co.uk/golf-course-architecture/architects-choice-2013/GCA-Architects-Choice.pdf

Yet another world top 100, I know. For me interesting to see which courses do better than in GM's top 100.

Observation: Quirk, Classic heathlands and strategic courses score well; difficulty, length and high budget Maintenance do not impress this panel that much.

GM's top 100 falls somewhere in between this one and GD's, it seems.

I think I like this list most.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Architects top 100
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 09:09:29 AM »
We did that in 2013!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »
Wow, Tobacco Road at #50. 

Great list Adam!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »
That was kind of a flawed exercise because all it did was ask us for a few favorite courses, and list the courses with the most votes.  So, something like Trump Aberdeen could rate really high, if all of Martin Hawtree's associates voted for it.  [My guess from looking at the results is there was a bigger representation of Europeans on this panel than on others.]

Funnily enough, that was the way GOLF MAGAZINE did their World Top 50 in 1979-81, before I got involved with it.  They had a very international panel, and just asked every panelist for their top ten. 

Do you see how that would turn out?  The same 30-40 suspects in the US, UK and Australia got nearly all of the votes, and a place like Prairie Dunes got none, because if you'd seen that you'd probably also have seen most of the world top 20.  So the remainder of the list was nominees from the least-traveled panelists, mostly Asians, which none of the well-traveled panelists had the opportunity to vote against. 

That's how Royal Hong Kong, Royal Selangor, Wack Wack, and a couple of others were rated in the top 50 in the world in 1979.  None of them would be in the top 500 today ... it's not changed opinion, but a more thorough system.  And that's how Tobacco Road makes a top-50 list ... a few of the people who love it, vote, and the people who would vote against it don't have a chance to.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »
Just to clarify a couple of things; there wasn't a 'panel' as such. We polled everyone in the world that we could find who had a reasonable claim to call themselves a golf course architect. After a lot of discussion we decided to allow people to vote for courses on which they had worked, because to disqualify them from doing so seemed (a) a little unfair and (b) calling for a lot of judgements that we weren't easily able to make -- how were we supposed to figure out if a guy who was a former associate at a large firm had or had not worked on a particular project. However, we reserved the right to disqualify ballots if we felt there was clear evidence of trying to finagle your own courses into the list, and in the end we disqualified two.

Tom is absolutely right about the methodological flaws. It was a very basic poll, and if we did it again (which we might or might not) we'd make some changes. The methodology was selected because it didn't demand too much calculation or clerical work; everyone who works on GCA has another job too, and we just didn't have the resource to do it more comprehensively. However we were also pretty careful not to claim that the list was in any way definitive -- it was just a list. TBH I wish other list compilers would do the same -- trying to create an objective ranking of the world's best golf courses is impossible.
Adam Lawrence

JWL

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 11:45:41 PM »
I wasn't polled.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 04:50:41 PM »
I wasn't polled.

Yes you were. I checked. You didn't reply.
Adam Lawrence

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back