News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Nashville to Asheville Monday
« on: October 03, 2017, 04:54:12 PM »
Leaving Nashville Monday and gotta be at Grove Park Inn for cocktails at 7 p.m.

Need a low-key walk in the park:  Crack GCA search engine yields the following candidates:

The Country Club - Morristown, TN (9 holes late in Langford's career).
Asheville Muni (Is this the same as Buncombe?)
Mt. Mitchell (A bit out of the way)
Reems Creek

I'm skipping corporate round at Grove Park Inn and I've played Mimosa Hills.

Any others cheap and quick?
While I'm at it, any world-class bbq pits in the area?

Thanks.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

Re: Nashville to Asheville Monday
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 04:57:16 PM »
Holston Hills on the way?  Assume you've done that once or twice.

If we get to vote, I'd love to see a trip report on the 9-hole Langford course.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:23:25 PM »
Yes, I've been fortunate to play HH on more than one occasion.  Morristown has 18 holes, only 9 by Langford done around the same time he designed and built Gatlinburg Municipal in the mid-50's.  The latter is an amazing routing on an extremely hilly site and among other things features three consecutive par fives.  Haven't played it in over 35 years but it's been "renovated" twice by Bob Cupp so I haven't returned. 

Mike
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:27:29 PM by Michael H »

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:49:54 PM »
Mike:

Morristown has very little Langford to see.  Don't feel that you'd love it.  Reems Creek is a reasonable course, probably a high Doak 4.  Mt Mitchell is good if it is in decent condition, but the last few years it has been just in terrible shape. 

Bart

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:04:04 PM »
Mike, I sent you a couple of PMs.  Let me know if they don't come through.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »
I've heard nice things about Mt Mitchell, in general - perhaps more the views than the course. No idea on current conditioning.

CCo Asheville was recently renovated - some say the greens are over the top, others say they're Members greens. Good green conditions and average fairway conditions a month ago.

I didn't get Holston Hill. Nice and fine and wide, but boring greens and not that many interesting first or second shots. 

BBQ- 12 Bones in Asheville is worthy.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »
I've played The Country Club in Morristown.  It's 18 Langford holes and if you wanna see something that could be really special, make the trip.  When I played there two years ago the greens were as close to Lookout as I have comes across.  #6 green is a doozy.

I mean, if you are looking for Lawsonia, it's not currently there.  If you are looking for ignored Langford, it's there.

If you want old reliable, play Holston, if you wanna see some untouched/ignored  TN Langford, hit up TCC.

Blake Conant

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »

Pritchard was at Cherokee CC (Ross) in Knoxville in 2008, but I haven't been there to see how the work turned out. 

The 9-hole Langford (Cupp reno) in Gatlinburg isn't worth your time.  Never seen The Country Club, would be curious to hear a report back.

Honestly there's not much on that drive outside of a time change outside of Holston Hills.  Knoxville is turning into a sneaky good beer/food town, though.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 12:52:03 PM »
Bear in mind I must stop by the university to say good-bye to Coach Botch Jones.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »
CCo Asheville was recently renovated - some say the greens are over the top, others say they're Members greens. Good green conditions and average fairway conditions a month ago.

I haven't heard a member complement the greens since the redo. Much of the opposite and it also appears the greens has added about half an hour to the average pace of play.

In years past I would have wholeheartedly recommended visiting CCA, but unfortunately not anymore.

Blake Conant

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »
Ben (or anyone else who may know), is Hendersonville CC worth a trip? 

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 07:06:36 PM »
Grove Park Inn has an incredible set of greens but it sounds like you have been there before.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back