News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JHoulihan

Schwab Cup Championship at Phoenix CC
« on: October 01, 2017, 07:55:39 PM »
The 50 plus group is playing here in Phoenix Nov 10-12. I was unable to find much information about this course after briefly searching. I am thinking about going to both watch the players but also the architecture of the course being played. Does anyone have anything good or bad to share about experiences here (both as a spectator and of course the architecture).

I did hear that this course was home to the PGA tour before moving to TPC, but have not yet confirmed that story.

Also if anyone locally or nationally will be attending (before/during/after), it would be great to meet up at the course and possibly play nearby if time allows.

Justin

Tom_Doak

Re: Schwab Cup Championship at Phoenix CC
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »
JHoulihan:

I can confirm that Phoenix CC hosted the PGA Tour for many years before the TPC at Scottsdale was opened c. 1987 or '88.  I walked around there in a practice round with Ben Crenshaw one year.  It's a fairly tight course; my only sharp memory was of Ben hitting a low hooked 4-iron out of the woods through a small window and onto a green.  It seemed like the only shot all day that he had really focused on!

Phoenix CC and Tucson National were the two courses Johnny Miller scorched in 1974, shooting 61 on both courses en route to runaway victories.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »
Harry Collis designed the original in 1920 and the course was renovated by Lehman/Fought in 2002. I understand that Champion Bermuda greens were installed a few years ago and there were some problems that have been fixed. The course is tree lined, narrow and "old school" given it's history:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Country_Club

Take a tour here:
http://www.phoenixcountryclub.com/club/scripts/custom/custom.asp?NS=PG&PAGECFG=COURSETOUR&DN=CT

John Fought made this comment on his website about the 2002 renovation:

When this redesign was completed, the course had been restored to its classic, historical past with improvements allowing it to stand up to today’s technological advances. Beautifully developed bunkers in the Tillinghast mold and slightly elevated greens with soft breaks were prime redesign features. Overgrown trees were thinned and the holes were widened to their original width. Renovated with Tom Lehman.

The club also gained some nationwide notoriety, although adverse, in litigation:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/the-phoenix-country-club-the-mens-grill-and-rusty-brown-6433878

I'll be there during the tournament.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 01:06:43 AM »
I have tickets, not sure which day I'll be out. There's not really a lot of interesting architecture but it's a solid course given the tight site and the absolutely flat topography. Good mix of long(fish) and shorter holes. Tips aren't even quite 6,800 yards (par 71) but offers a couple par 4s over 450 but also holes of 306, 339, and 354. Water in play on 6 holes, 5 of which are on the back. I expect the Schwab Cup guys to go low here.

On a side note, I drove by yesterday and they have not started oversees yet. Greens were still maintained but the rest of the course is yellow. Players were out there. Maybe the last weekend? Seems like a tight timetable, though I'm sure they know what they're doing.

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 10:11:16 AM »

The club also gained some nationwide notoriety, although adverse, in litigation:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/the-phoenix-country-club-the-mens-grill-and-rusty-brown-6433878

Interesting. Thanks for the link.

Steve Fekety

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »
It's a really fun course.  Very much a parkland feel.  Very traditional layout and feel, but then you look up and see downtown Phoenix.  Yes it is tight, but the greens are the club's real defense.  You will have 3-5 footers that you need to play outside the hole. 

If there are negatives to the club hosting the event, it is accessibility.  Being in downtown Phoenix, there is little parking.  The driving range is a sliver with giant nets protecting the bordering fairways.  They surely will not be able to hit drivers without launching them over the fences.

Last I heard they were still looking for people to caddy for the ams during the pro am.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back