News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora COLLECTING MONEY NOW
« Reply #250 on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
Haggis
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Stan Dodd

« Reply #251 on: May 18, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »
Chicken for me please.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »
I agree with the format of Foursomes and Four ball .  My thought was for people who have not played a course before it would be nice to play your own ball the first time around.  Let each pairing decide on the strokes in their  game.  As Rich said in the end nobody is worried about the outcome

John Mayhugh

« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
I agree with the format of Foursomes and Four ball .  My thought was for people who have not played a course before it would be nice to play your own ball the first time around.  Let each pairing decide on the strokes in their  game.  As Rich said in the end nobody is worried about the outcome
I would rather stick with some form of match play as well.

I won't arrive at Brora until Saturday morning, so just need to know when matches start. Current USGA index is 9.7. Steak for dinner.

Michael Graham

« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »
Chicken for my brother Paul and I. I'm just about hanging on to my 9 handicap. Paul is currently an 18. We're playing 36 holes at Castle Stuart on Friday and will drive up to the golf club at Golspie from there. We're staying in the Royal Marine Hotel in Brora.

mike_malone

« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »
Steak
AKA Mayday

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2018, 07:36:23 PM »
I'll have the chicken.

My passenger and I will endeavour to be at Golspie Friday evening.  What time did you have in mind? Was dinner available, or was this after dinner?

V_Halyard

« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2018, 11:47:01 PM »
Side Topic to the BUDA group. There is a good chance I will be skulking about the land of the tartan kilt for a bit with one A.Lawerence the week prior to the Buda. Making a Ross/Dornoch pilgrimage and would enjoy meeting up with some of you "Islanders" that might be free to play Golspie on Thursday prior to BUDA!

PM me!

Cheers (That's the correct salutation no?)

-Vaughn
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #258 on: May 19, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
Trout for me please Steve
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

James Boon

« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
Steve, chicken and haggis please,

Lou, surely I dont scare anyone, least of all you!

Niall, I'm staying at my mum and dad's just up the coast at Helmsdale, I'm heading north tomorrow and not sure what internet will be like while I'm in the Cairngorms so may not log on again here till Friday at my mum and dad's. So play nice everyone.

Mark, I should have expected that come back... As there isnt much chat on the Captain front, I'd be happy to try again this year if no one else is put forwards (but I'll be invoking a little known rule that if a man can shoot 76 at my home course and claim a 13 handicap I'm allowed to claim a 9)  ;D But who would I be up against? Has Lynn been captain yet?

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2018, 11:46:15 PM »
Lynn, et. al.

When I talk of taking all games to the 18th I do not talk of Medal play, at all.  I'm talking about how serious team competitions (e.g. Carnoustie v. North Berwick in the late 19th century) count the holes won or lost after 18 holes.  So.....if Wigget  "beats" Whitaker 7/6, then they play the last 6 holes ending up with Jon winning somewhere between +1 and +7.  Whitaker has something to prove and Wigget needs to protect his lead. This is the highest level of match that I know of.  I have played for Royal Dornoch in the Northern Counties, and that is essentially how this venerable competition is played.

Think about it.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2018, 05:57:40 AM »

Lynn, et. al.

When I talk of taking all games to the 18th I do not talk of Medal play, at all.  I'm talking about how serious team competitions (e.g. Carnoustie v. North Berwick in the late 19th century) count the holes won or lost after 18 holes.  So.....if Wigget  "beats" Whitaker 7/6, then they play the last 6 holes ending up with Jon winning somewhere between +1 and +7.  Whitaker has something to prove and Wigget needs to protect his lead. This is the highest level of match that I know of.  I have played for Royal Dornoch in the Northern Counties, and that is essentially how this venerable competition is played.

Think about it.

Rich

Rich,

you learn something every day!! I have played this way occasionally but never in an official (or semi official) match but it strikes me that you are spot on with your assessment.

Jon

Garland Bayley

« Reply #262 on: May 20, 2018, 06:42:20 AM »
Rich, Jon,

I have read that the university team matches were contested that way before people got the lousy idea that medal play was a thing to do.

As for our matches, I prefer Ryder Cup style match play.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #263 on: May 20, 2018, 09:10:57 AM »
I played this way in a few comps, most notably an annual meet up between a Dublin team and a Cork team.

I like it a lot.

James Boon

« Reply #264 on: May 20, 2018, 09:16:40 AM »
Lynn, et. al.

Think about it.

Rich

Rich,

The format you suggest sounds a lot like one that’s often used in county inter club matches around here, Foursomes teams are and I recall some junior matches also (many years ago!) So in your example, if Wigget gets to 7 up with six to play they keep going and if Whitty wins 3 of the last 6 and halve the others then the result is 4up. If though Wigget goes on the win 3 more before the end and the others are halved the result is 10 up (though this is a silly example as Whitty will never lose in this fashion (off 13!!!))

It’s good for team events, as it keeps you going. A few years ago had a run and got to the final of county inter club foursomes with this format. Each club has 2 pairs playing and you know that if you finish 3 up but your team mates lose 4 down you are knocked out!

So it’s not an alien format of match play and I’d be willing to give it a go at BUDA but suspect we will stick with the more usual match play format?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

« Reply #265 on: May 20, 2018, 10:19:06 AM »
Whitaker,  trust but verify.  I looked you up and I think your 13 is legit. http://scgolf.org/handicap-lookup/
Assuming you are the Michael Whitaker, in Carolina, the same who shot 76 at Notts in singles match play?
That's the one.  The same one that shot 77 at New Zealand.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #266 on: May 20, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »
I like Rich's format (not least as my old firm used to play an annual match against a firm of accountants using that format, one year my partner and I lost the first hole and won +16) but given that we barely seem able to keep the score at BUDA when games are either a win, a loss or a half I suspect we'd lose score PDQ

Steve Rowe is a no show, so Stan does have a vacancy.  I understand he and Eric have adjoining tee times and there may be more than one space.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #267 on: May 20, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »
Niall,

Conrad and I are in an AirBnB in Brora.

Mark

David_Tepper

« Reply #268 on: May 20, 2018, 01:14:47 PM »
The 12-man team inter-club leagues in California use a very good matchplay format.

Players on each team are ranked based on their handicaps. There are 3 matches played (and potentially 3 points up for grabs) within each 4-ball. The 2 lower handicaps in each group play a singles matches against each other, as do the 2 higher handicaps. In addition, the two sides play a better-ball match against each other, with the 3 higher handicaps stroking off the lowest handicap player in the group.
The format produces some interesting results. I have seen where 2 players from one team lose their individual matches, yet win the 4-ball match.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #269 on: May 20, 2018, 04:22:06 PM »
As no one has responded.  I have cancelled my tee time  adjacent to Eric and I am going to play the Tain Senior Open.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #270 on: May 21, 2018, 04:16:21 AM »
James,

Are you going to beat Golspie on Friday evening?  If so, I’ll volunteer to take on the aded onerous duties of the American captain as no one else has stepped up.  We should be able to finalize quickly sketch out pairings for Saturday morning at broad and get them posted in time for everyone to know when and with who they will be playing.

Other things I need to know.

I need food preferences for the Sunday dinner from Mark, Conrad, and Niall.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #271 on: May 21, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »
Steve,

Steak for me.  I'll chase Conrad.

All,

Conrad is looking for a partner of partners at Dornoch on the Friday morning in Eric's tee time.  Please let me know if interested.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #272 on: May 25, 2018, 10:30:40 AM »
... And venture to say that I may yet again get an award for longest journey to Buda. ...
I think I shall challenge you on that. My route has been Portland to Seattle to Copenhagen to St. Petersburg to Copenhagen to Edinburgh to Buda.
;)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #273 on: May 25, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »
... And venture to say that I may yet again get an award for longest journey to Buda. ...
I think I shall challenge you on that. My route has been Portland to Seattle to Copenhagen to St. Petersburg to Copenhagen to Edinburgh to Buda.
 ;)

ah, the elusive Russian connection that Mueller is looking for.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back