News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora COLLECTING MONEY NOW
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2018, 11:03:08 AM »
As the initiator of BUDA (before it was even called "BUDA"), and sad that I will not be there in a couple of weeks, please let me pass on a few thoughts.

Firstly, kudos to Steve W. who was a participant of the first gathering in 2003 in conjunction with the Burghfield Open at Dornoch and another game at Brora.  I was up in Dornoch two weeks ago (as a non-combatant) and the winning 2 man team was 155 NET (with many scratch golfers involved).  Anybody from BUDA who breaks 80 (gross) playing casually from the yellow tees by USGA and R&A rules please let me know.

Secondly, as for handicaps---fuggabootem.  Make pairings as best you can, but total scores wins and losses as per 19th century matches and nobody in the 19th hole will gie a f**k who "won or loss."

Thirdly, as for allegiances, I'm sure that there will be many chances for swapping Lou's MAGA caps for Jeremy Corbyn's red stars.

Enjoy!

Hcir
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2018, 11:54:24 AM »
I’m a 13
Now things are getting really silly.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

« Reply #227 on: May 17, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
Fine words Rich. If we are going to play in a last century kind of style, can we play stymies ?

Niall

ps. Put me down as a 15 handicap

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #228 on: May 17, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
I like the stymie idea!!!

Just curious... in the UK Knockout do you play your matches with or without handicaps?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

James Reader

« Reply #229 on: May 17, 2018, 01:14:35 PM »
As the initiator of BUDA (before it was even called "BUDA"), and sad that I will not be there in a couple of weeks, please let me pass on a few thoughts.

Firstly, kudos to Steve W. who was a participant of the first gathering in 2003 in conjunction with the Burghfield Open at Dornoch and another game at Brora.  I was up in Dornoch two weeks ago (as a non-combatant) and the winning 2 man team was 155 NET (with many scratch golfers involved).  Anybody from BUDA who breaks 80 (gross) playing casually from the yellow tees by USGA and R&A rules please let me know.

Secondly, as for handicaps---fuggabootem.  Make pairings as best you can, but total scores wins and losses as per 19th century matches and nobody in the 19th hole will gie a f**k who "won or loss."

Thirdly, as for allegiances, I'm sure that there will be many chances for swapping Lou's MAGA caps for Jeremy Corbyn's red stars.

Enjoy!

Hcir

Fully aware that I may be the only person on here who doesn’t know the answer to this (in which case I apologise), but I’ve been wondering for a while - what does BUDA stand for?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #230 on: May 17, 2018, 01:43:53 PM »
Budapest.

19 for me.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Mark Pearce

« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »
I like the stymie idea!!!

Just curious... in the UK Knockout do you play your matches with or without handicaps?
With. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #232 on: May 17, 2018, 02:24:13 PM »
My GHIN # is 574719.
This month I am at 4.7, which at my club is a handicap of 5.

I think Rich makes some good comments, but I hate to lose the match play component.  I don't want to be grinding at medal for 36 holes.  I can't think of anything at the moment, but I have no doubt the creative Steve Wilson can create some complicated formula to satisfy both sides.  If we play medal it should be Stableford or your "adjusted" score.

Whitaker,  trust but verify.  I looked you up and I think your 13 is legit. http://scgolf.org/handicap-lookup/
Assuming you are the Michael Whitaker, in Carolina, the same who shot 76 at Notts in singles match play?

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Lou_Duran

« Reply #233 on: May 17, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »
For the record: James Boon scares me.  If the Americans are quick to shed me and the RoW opens its arms, who am I to argue with higher authority?  Beware though, pinch hitting at Rye last year (with Robin H) inspired the Americans (Wilson and Gayne) to a 2-1 win.

Note to Niall:  If you get your 15 handicap(  ::) ), you should offer your services to the EU for the ongoing trade negotiations.

Note to Rihc:  After presenting my credentials to the booking secretary at Trump International Golf Links and being quoted a £265 green fee, I lost all remaining enthusiasm for President Trump.  Besides, Mr. Corbyn can probably teach me a thing or two about audacity , rhetoric, and false indignation.

Note to Steve:  Your pro bono apothecary has come through.  Two 500-count bottles will be in my golf bag. 

Note to Lynn:  Not sure that posting your Ghin # is a good thing.  I've heard stories of people posting scores in other golfers' accounts to mess with them.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #234 on: May 17, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »

I haven't had a handicap since 1985 so I guess that means I am off 28, or is it 36? maybe 54?  ;D

Rihc,

well said Sir!!!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2018, 04:28:54 PM »
Whitaker,  trust but verify.  I looked you up and I think your 13 is legit. http://scgolf.org/handicap-lookup/
Assuming you are the Michael Whitaker, in Carolina, the same who shot 76 at Notts in singles match play?
Shackelford - that’s the one. My 13 is very legit.

And, yes, I had a good day at Notts... but, that was a really easy course!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:30:30 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Wilson

« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »
On to more important things, food.

Dinner Sunday at Golspie has three options. Ribeye/sirloin steak, or baked trout; or chicken with bacon and haggis.  If I don’t hear from any individuals by Tuesday, I’ll put you down for the chicken with (extra) hagggis.

What do bee think about gathering at the Golspie golf club dining room on Friday night. There is enough room and of course a bar.  Other suggestions are welcome.

Also thoughts on Lynn’s suggestion of Stableford.  I suspect these things can be thrashed out next Friday.

I have not heard from Ward and Chris Shaida, are they still on.board?

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2018, 04:55:55 PM »
Friday night at Golspie...  YES

Ward and Chris... both are YES
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:58:16 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2018, 04:58:01 PM »
My understanding is that Conrad’s friend Steve Rowe is a NO for the entire event.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #239 on: May 17, 2018, 05:07:47 PM »
I agree with Lynn that some type of Stableford is preferable as pure stroke play could get very ugly and a very bad hole early in the round can ruin the day - we are there for fun and while there should be a spirit of competition it should not come to the point of taking priority over fun.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #240 on: May 17, 2018, 06:21:57 PM »
Mr. Wilson,

Steak for me.

Why deviate from past Budas on the format?  Ryder Cup-style match play: modified foursomes a.m., fourballs p.m.; singles last day.  Let the captains hash out the handicaps (add a few strokes to mine for the aforementioned infirmities, foreign travel, and "advanced" age) and the adjustments for the formats ((A+B)/2 does not work).

In for Friday p.m. at Golspie, provided that my driver is of the same mind or I can get a ride to the lodging at Brora.

Questions:

1) should I bring an umbrella (2+ lbs.), or does the wind render it useless?
2)  is there a need for a coat and tie?

Nomination: Whitaker and Kluger for American co-captains.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:24:03 PM by Lou_Duran »

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #241 on: May 17, 2018, 07:28:51 PM »
Lou: Currently it looks like I will be pushing a walker and dragging my bag and you want me to worry about other guys as well - doesn't seem like the smart thing to do.

Stan Dodd

« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:57 AM »
If Steve Rowe is not coming I  have a spot for  a guest at RDGC on Friday a.m.

David_Tepper

« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2018, 02:39:08 AM »
Steve -
Steak at Golspie for me.

Are we having dinner Saturday night at the Indian place in Brora (Sid's?)?
Lou D. -
Coat & tie not required at Brora, Golspie or any other club up here.
DT
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:19:21 AM by David_Tepper »

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2018, 02:49:32 AM »
Steve,

Steak at Golspie for me please.

Matchplay or stableford scoring - don't mind if we use handicaps or if the Captains make some balanced groups up and then we all play off bare feet.

Prefer to avoid foursomes if the course is busy - what's the point in only playing two balls if we're waiting behind the members 4balls in front all morning.

Friday evening meet in Golspie sounds good. I'm playing at Nairn in the afternoon of Friday and lodging in Brora so will play timing by ear.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2018, 05:09:35 AM »
Shackelford - that’s the one. My 13 is very legit.

And, yes, I had a good day at Notts... but, that was a really easy course!  ;)

Whitty - I know very clearly as I was annihilated at Hollinwell by a real bandit. Surely you have the scorecard framed up in your study as a reminder. What is happening with your golf for the rest of the year bar BUDA???

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #246 on: May 18, 2018, 05:22:26 AM »
Ben - that card is one of my prized possessions! You were very kind to create such a beautiful momento of that round for me.
Sorry you can’t make the Buda this year. We will miss you.

Niall C

« Reply #247 on: May 18, 2018, 08:15:01 AM »
As a matter of interest, where is everyone staying ? David M, Ian G and myself are all staying in the Sutherland Inn in Brora. Are most folk staying in Brora or are they staying in Golspie ?

Lou – my 15 handicap was a reference to Mr Whittakers claim of a 13 handicap. It doesn’t seem that long ago that Mike and I had a series of generally close matches playing off barefeet, which Mike usually won !

Niall

David McIntosh

« Reply #248 on: May 18, 2018, 08:23:57 AM »
Steve,

I'll go for the steak at Golspie too please.

There appears (to me anyway) to be some confusion over the proposed format - I didn't read Rich's post yesterday as suggesting that we should use any strokeplay or stableford scoring systems, although I'm sure he will correct me if I've picked this up wrong. I'm of the view that we should just stick to match play as in previous years.

I'm in for the Friday night gathering at Golspie, just let us know when to be there for.

Handicap is 15.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #249 on: May 18, 2018, 09:49:10 AM »

I haven't had a handicap since 1985 so I guess that means I am off 28, or is it 36? maybe 54?  ;D

Rihc,

well said Sir!!!!
You sir, are scratch!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back