News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 08:19:01 AM »
Mike,
I wasn't intending to mix the pro-am with the BUDA, I was just mentioning it as being an event occurring in the same general time frame. 

Tain is another course in the area worth a look see.  Its first hole plays
across a road and the green is just on the other side.  It's a semi blind shot and I've heard a lot of criticism of it, but I maintain if the two barbed wire fences were stonewalls it would be word famous and held up as the epitome of quirk.  It might be worthwhile for the club to have the walls built! 
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 03:12:35 PM »
Tain is a wonderful track. The 15th if memory serves me has one bumfoozled on the tee sweeping a view of a fairway that appears as if mini mortar rounds sprayed the landing area. 18 ends right up against the catering room; there is a Dolly Parton hole. one is a memorable starter over the stile. Great match play course and retains the hand of Old Tom still i believe. Glenmorangie is worth post round stop.

I cannot eat Indan food but am happy with Guiness and a salad so don't mind that. I am happy to arrange something with my longtime friend Elaine at Cruden Bay and maybe score visitor rates.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Mike Hendren

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2017, 03:49:16 PM »
Big Ward, you had me at Cruden Bay.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

mike_malone

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2017, 09:56:15 PM »
 I would want to play Dornoch on this trip.
AKA Mayday

David_Tepper

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 11:50:22 PM »
Mike -

So would just about everyone else! ;)

DT

Steve Wilson

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
Brora has come through. We have a booking there on May 26 for 32 golfers beginning at 0800.  We have another round of bookings beginning at 1400, also for 32 players.  The quoted day ticket is for 86 GBP.  I realize 32 is an optimistic number but it's always easier to scale back than to have insufficient room.
They have asked if we wish do to lunch at the club.  My inclination is to say yes, but at the very least I will ask for a quote.

As of this moment
Friday May 25 36 at Golspie--lunch and dinner at the club
Saturday May 26 36 at Brora--dinner tentatively to follow at Sid's Spice.
Sunday May 27 18  at Golspie--feeding arrangements left to the individual   

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

David_Tepper

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »
Steve -

Looks like a very nice program. Thanks very much for your efforts.

Having lunch at Brora on May 26 makes sense to me.

DT

ward peyronnin

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 11:29:58 AM »
If one takes advantage of the full Scottish in the morning I have never found it necessary to do more than top up with a Guiness or two and roll back out or certainly nothing more than a toastie :P
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 12:56:25 PM »
Steve,

Well done, Steve!!! Sign me up for the full event, along with Jerry Kluger and Sterling Forsythe.

A sandwich lunch (like the one we had at Littlestone) is perfect. Then we are all hungry and looking forward to dinner!  ;)

What are the dates of the Dornoch member-guest?

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »
Brora has come through. We have a booking there on May 26 for 32 golfers beginning at 0800.  We have another round of bookings beginning at 1400, also for 32 players.  The quoted day ticket is for 86 GBP.  I realize 32 is an optimistic number but it's always easier to scale back than to have insufficient room.
They have asked if we wish do to lunch at the club.  My inclination is to say yes, but at the very least I will ask for a quote.
As of this moment
Friday May 25 36 at Golspie--lunch and dinner at the club
Saturday May 26 36 at Brora--dinner tentatively to follow at Sid's Spice.
Sunday May 27 18  at Golspie--feeding arrangements left to the individual

Steve,

Well done. Please include my adult son and I in your plans.

Ref Brora price of £86 p/d - most U.K. clubs have a lower rate price for what are termed 'societies' i.e. large groups like Buda would be and the lower pricing often includes food

Atb

James Boon

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 01:45:45 PM »
Steve,

Good work. Naturally I'm all in!

If you want I'll drop into Brora later this week and talk to them about lunch etc. I'll also drop into the Marine and discuss accommodation.

If you send me any e-mails you may have exchanged with the club I'll be up to speed.

Do you need me to drop into Golspie as well or are you all sorted there?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »
James - I am going to look into renting a holiday cottage like we did in Rock. Interested?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »
Ref Brora price of £86 p/d - most U.K. clubs have a lower rate price for what are termed 'societies' i.e. large groups like Buda would be and the lower pricing often includes food
Exactly, Dai - If we fill this event (and we should) we are talking about bringing Brora over £2500 in business. Nice payday of "found" money for a remote club!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 02:43:28 PM »
Steve - for those who are wanting to stay a few days in the highlands we might want to consider moving the Buda to start on Saturday instead of Friday. Every accommodation rental I have looked into has a Saturday start date... and, nearly everything that's "decent" from Dornoch to Brora has already been booked during the Dornoch member-guest dates. Rental start dates are 26 May, which is a problem for those wanting something other than just a B&B room. A Friday-Saturday-Monday Buda would sure be a BIG help!

Stan Dodd

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
Steve,
 Count me in.
Providing there are tee times will be able to help with guest rounds at Dornoch.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 05:23:09 PM »
At least we dodged "Oil Week" in Aberdeenshire. What a cockup that is.

I am definitely in. If anyone is looking to play Cruden Bay may I strongly recommend they stay and play the 9 hole St Olaf Course within the big course loop; a small gem

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 06:26:33 PM »
Not played in a year but I'll dust off the clubs and be 100% for this.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 07:17:47 PM »
Mike, I understand fully about accommodation. I will contact Golspie and tell them we need to play 36 on Sunday and 18 on Monday.  We will move the official dinner to Sunday night.  David Tepper had been suggesting a Saturday, Sunday, Monday schedule, perhaps I should have listened up.

Once again I find myself without Internet from Frontier my non-provider, so tonight I'm in a coffee shop instead of a bar.

James, per Dai Thomas's comment about lower rates, perhaps you could see if we could a luncheon tray like Littlestones included in the 86. I will forward all correspondence to you.

I will be in touch with Golspie but will let you know if I would like some assistance with them.

The rotation we are using of the second course for the first day and the main course for the last two is the one we used in 2014 and 2015 so we are not breaking precedent.

I have a service call from Frontier on Thursday and I hope to be able to respond more promptly once I get that sorted.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 08:11:41 PM by Steve Wilson »

David_Tepper

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 09:39:29 PM »
Remember that Monday, May 28 is a Bank Holiday in the UK and Memorial Day in the US, so it will be a day off from work for most of us.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2017, 04:40:33 AM »
Remember that Monday, May 28 is a Bank Holiday in the UK and Memorial Day in the US, so it will be a day off from work for most of us.

The whole week of Mon 28th May - Fri 1st June is a school holiday week in England and Wales. I suggest folks travelling from overseas bear this in mind for accommodation anywhere else you might be thinking of going to play that week. I believe in Scotland it's only Mon 28th that's a school day off but individual areas have different schedules. Care is needed as courses generally are likely to be somewhat busier.

Ref Ward's mention of Cruden Bay's St Olaf course - don't miss it! Play the St Olaf and then play it again and again. Holes 6-7-8 are terrific.

atb

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2017, 05:25:47 AM »
So Brora couldn't do the June dates?

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Emil Weber

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2017, 08:46:53 AM »
Steve,
sounds like a great schedule, thanks for organizing. I'd be very interested in participating this time!

Steve Wilson

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2017, 07:50:26 PM »
Emil,
Your name will go on the list.

Joe Fairey

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2017, 10:09:59 PM »
Steve,

Please me and a guest (possibly my son in law) to the list of participants....I've
been away from Buda for several years but certainly looking forward...
many thanks      Joe

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »
Steve - please add Chris Shaida to the list of participants. Thanks!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back