News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora COLLECTING MONEY NOW
« Reply #200 on: May 08, 2018, 04:58:03 AM »
A few questions/comments of my own;

Who are this years Captains ? Not sure I saw that or have they not been picked ? After my experience last year I’m keen to pass on tips on how not to do it.

Handicaps – surely the new rules and universal handicapping will resolve all issues ? ;)

Niall

Lou_Duran

« Reply #201 on: May 08, 2018, 02:46:04 PM »
Are we all playing off scratch or should we start the handicap wars now?  🤔
As a seasoned BUDAite, you should know that the handicap wars are always reserved for the night before competition.

True, but the first salvos are typically fired in these pages.

To kick-off the process, I've been fighting a left groin-area pull all year, limiting my ability to get through the ball (Mr. Shackelford will verify scores of 90 and 88 on an easy, short course in optimal conditions).  In the name of sportsmanship and fairness, a two stroke upward adjustment to my 4/15/18 index seems reasonable.

Re: USGA handicaps (jumping off Niall's comment), starting this year, scores for rounds played alone (without a marker) cannot be posted.  There was a lot of discussion that if golf is a game of honesty and integrity, this change was unnecessary.  In fact, some of the changes in the rules effective in 2019 actually rely more on the honesty of the player, so the new handicap rule did not seem to make a lot of sense.

I learned recently from a person involved in these matters that the 2018 handicap change was the USGA's somewhat reluctant concession to the R&A and other associations to achieve universality.  Since many if not most American players post their own scores (and outside of formal competitions, cards are seldom exchanged or signed), I suspect that posted rounds actually include unqualified scores, not that it should make much difference.     

Stan Dodd

« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2018, 07:30:35 PM »
My May GHIN is 8.8.  I have  not walked a round on my new replaced knee.  I chip like a cattle prod is being  used to give me an enema.  I fly the ball 170 with the driver and my putting stroke resembles a timed seizure. I made a birdie last month though. I will need 5 a side from Carlton and Pearce, as links golf is so much harder than Hawaiian cartball.  I have  limited knowledge of Golspie or Brora with only  probably 50 rounds between the 2.  And venture to say that I may yet again get an award for longest journey to Buda.  I will only need 5 shots added to my index.

Garland Bayley

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora LINK TO SPREADSHEET IN FIRST POST
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2018, 08:03:37 PM »
Curious as to whether anyone is playing Tain or Portmahomack on May 24th.

My plan is arrive Tain 8:17 by rail. Take 8:50 bus 24 to Portmahomack and play 9 at Tarbat.
Take 13:45 bus back to Tain, and play 18 at Tain.
Leave by rail at 19:45.

Probably there is time for lunch at the Oystercatcher in that schedule.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »
My course handicap is 19, just as it was two years ago in the Irish Buda. However, two years ago my game was rounding out nicely after a summer of golf. This year my game has been missing in action. So with ill-fitting rental clubs, I am not optimistic of good results with a 19 handicap.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Stan Dodd

« Reply #205 on: May 08, 2018, 08:35:28 PM »
Garland,
The 24th sounds fun.  I would be up for that... the best Cullen Skink at the Oystercatcher.

Niall C

« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2018, 12:10:03 PM »
My May GHIN is 8.8.  I have  not walked a round on my new replaced knee.  I chip like a cattle prod is being  used to give me an enema.  I fly the ball 170 with the driver and my putting stroke resembles a timed seizure. I made a birdie last month though. I will need 5 a side from Carlton and Pearce, as links golf is so much harder than Hawaiian cartball.  I have  limited knowledge of Golspie or Brora with only  probably 50 rounds between the 2.  And venture to say that I may yet again get an award for longest journey to Buda.  I will only need 5 shots added to my index.

Yes, I look forward to seeing Stan star in the remake of the Six Million Dollar Man, and I'm sure if we get drawn against each other at BUDA, I'll get my backside kicked as usual. ;D

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #207 on: May 10, 2018, 04:01:16 AM »
My handicap is seamlessly moving back towards the 19 it started at years ago.  It's 14 now and I haven't played to it all season.  On top of that, I'll only have arrived back in the UK on the Thursday from 5 days "conferencing" in Seattle and then need to do the full day journey up to Golspie on the Friday, so will be sleep deprived and jet-lagged.  I will need at least ten shots from either Mr Dodd or Mr Duran. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2018, 10:04:43 PM »
I have had two surgeries in addition to an epidural back treatment and am on a physio plan so my 7 is rather spotty as I am sure Lou will attest
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Lou_Duran

« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »
Reading Mark's report caused a muscle on the good side of my groin area to pop.  The horror of travelling from Seattle to Golspie makes my own from Dallas by way of Heathrow a piece of cake.  Along with the required shots, I will bring the deed to my house for a quick transfer.

Yes, I can attest to Ward's various difficulties over the past 18+ months.  He did well back in March, but he was clearly inspired by a great non-playing partner on whose home course we played that day.  I think a two or three stroke bump should be considered as fair.  Is that about right, partner?

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2018, 09:46:37 AM »
Thoroughly enjoying the Ailment Amnesty banter.

Steve, best make sure the Golspie pharmacy is stocked up on anti-inflammatories.

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Steve Wilson

« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2018, 06:30:41 AM »
Actually Robin I think I’m going to buy up all the ibuprofen between Inverness and WIck. The entrepreneurial spirit Can coexist with the BUDA Cup.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
 we are a little more than a week out and so the time is come to speak of shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and Kings. Will also need to talk about handicaps and who is to be honored with the respective captaincies. If everybody would send me their handicap I will plug it into  The spreadsheet which should be available to the captains.

There’s also been a question of whether or not there will be a meeting Friday evening prior to the beginning of play. I am going to check and see if the bar and lounge here at Goulspiewould be suitable for us to convene.  If anyone has a better or different suggestion chime in now.

I presume at that Meeting we will be able to settle the question of the format and the sequencing. Stan Dodd has mentioned the advisability of playing alternate shot in the after noon as it conceivably requires less walking.

Also I will be needing to know for certain about buggy requirements and I yh8nk that tomorrow I should be able to provide the menu for the Sunday evening dinner and ask for choices.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

James Boon

« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2018, 05:37:24 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for all your hard work so far! [size=78%]Apologies for delay, I've just paid the outstanding balance via paypal. [/size]

So far the handicap discussions have been more like the Monty Python Yorkshiremen sketch... "Playing off 13, with a dodgy knee, and the yips? You were lucky!"

For what its worth I'm a 3.9, though I did miss about 5 fairways the other day, my approach play was shocking and I had a couple of 3 putts (think I had my contacts in the wrong way around?) so I would be happy to accept a higher handicap if thats how this works?  ::)

I'll be staying with my parents while up there so not sure if I'll be joining you all Friday evening wherever you meet up, but if you let me know where and I can get away I'll join you all to say hello, otherwise I'll see you at Brora bright and early on Saturday!

As for Captain's, there are a few new faces on our side, so do we need an experienced campaigner such as Mark Pearce to take the helm once again? Sorry Mark, have to start the discussion with someone!  8)

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

mike_malone

« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2018, 08:02:22 PM »
13.2 index with no excuses.
AKA Mayday

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2018, 01:41:51 AM »
I’m 5.8 and rising, have not played yet this year and am not even attending. You should particularly bear that last point in mind when agreeing my handicap.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2018, 03:15:09 AM »
Ally, I will see to it you get an additional five shots wherever you aren’t playing.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2018, 03:17:06 AM »
I've added my handicap directly to the Google doc.  It's holding steady despite the advancing years.  I'm trying to hard to hold down the whinging level  :)  on the handicap topic.

Steve, can you confirm that there is no breakfast sort of thing included any of the days.  Would you recommend Linda's Cafe in Brora for a quick bacon roll (the breakfast of UK champions :) )?

And, in case we don't make Friday night, what time are the tee times on Saturday morning?

James Boon

« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2018, 03:29:06 AM »
I’m 5.8 and rising, have not played yet this year and am not even attending. You should particularly bear that last point in mind when agreeing my handicap.
Nice tactics Ally! And in the true spirit of the Yorkshirmen sketch!  ;D
I'm guessing its all quiet on the Captains front as without Duncan and Ben the Rest of the World are down to 11 players v 15 from the USA? Any ideas on that front gentlemen?
Cheers,
James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2018, 03:50:57 AM »

James,

You could transfer Lou to the Rest of the World side.  He is of Spanish heritage and as a side benefit, it would preclude the umpteenth annual Boon/Duran match.   ::)

Niall C

« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2018, 04:44:10 AM »

James,

You could transfer Lou to the Rest of the World side.  He is of Spanish heritage and as a side benefit, it would preclude the umpteenth annual Boon/Duran match.   ::)

Good idea and if you could also get Lou to negotiate the handicaps on behalf of the RoW team that would be helpful  ;D

Niall

Mark Pearce

« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2018, 09:30:28 AM »
It's a while since the home team won this thing.  What we need is someone who can lead by example and has a recent history of success.  James Boon strikes me as the ideal candidate.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2018, 09:53:38 AM »
If James were the Euro Captain then he would be certain to determine there were no more Boon/Duran confrontations. Sad for the world to be deprived thoughts they are as legendary as Fraser/Ali and the Rocky movie franchise.

David_Tepper

« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2018, 10:39:49 AM »
As resident of the Highlands for 7 weeks a year and a Country Member at Golspie, I would be happy to play for the "home team," assuming they will have me. ;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2018, 10:47:23 AM »
I’m a 13
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back