News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora COLLECTING MONEY NOW
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »
 It has been my intention all along, after discussion with the BUDA cognoscenti (Mark, Tony, Mike, etc.) to collect the money and pay the clubs and the restaurant beforehand and avoid some of the cockups we have experienced in recent years at  thecourses and  particularly at the restaurant in Belmullet Ireland. 

At this point those who paid in pounds owe 180, those who paid in USD now owe due to the strengthening pound $280.
For those of you who do not Paypal, Tony has agreed to accept bank transfers which he can then forward to me.

The 2018 BUDA is to contested over the courses at Golspie and Brora May 26-28

Saturday May 26-36 holes at Brora. Lunch at the club with dinner to follow at Sid's Spice Indian Restaurant.

Sunday May 27 36 holes at Golspie. Lunch   at club, the official dinner to follow

Monday May 28 18 holes, the singles matches at Golspie with meals up to the individuals.

I presume the formats will follow those of previous BUDAs with either foursomes or greensomes as the first round on Saturday and Sunday to be followed by four ball better ball in the afternoon.  None of this is etched in stone and will be, I hope, agreed upon before the balloon goes up.

Cost for golf and meals appears to be maxing out in the vicinity of £225-240

Conversations before hand with BUDA veterans have led me to conclude a deposit of
$50 is a reasonable request.  If you are unable to attend, this deposit will become forfeit
at some point.  It will put to a good cause, wine for the dinner(s).

I would like to have this deposit to hold your place no later than the end of February.
It is our intention to give precedence to those who are willing to commit to all three days
of play and all five rounds. 

Buggies:  There are limited buggies available at both of these courses, and if you are going
to require one you should indicate in advance so we can put in the request well ahead of time
to the club.  Neither of these courses is a particularly difficult walk though Brora does tend to
go up and down at the worst possible time 16 and 18.

There are powered hand carts available but you may want to indicate towards that as well as
they are limited.

I'm going to try and collect the money though my Paypal account at boothill@frontiernet.net.
Tony Muldoon had offered to do it, but as he is unable to attend and in fact won't be able to play
golf until sometime in June, I didn't think I should impose on him.  As I am going to be on the ground
in the area from May 15 onwards, I think it would be handy if I were to be able to deliver the payment
to the clubs and restaurant ahead of time.  All that would be left for the individuals would be buggies,
carts, etc. Remember to use the friends and family option otherwise Paypal will take a cut from your transaction.

I think everyone was more than pleased with the way lunch was handled at Littlestone last year when
they brought trays of assorted types of sandwiches we could browse through as our matches finished.
I have suggested this solution to both clubs.

I'm going to delete the lists of those who expressed interest and replace them with those who send
their deposits as they come.  I have created a spreadsheet to handle the registration and will post a
link to it. 

Jon Wiggett has invited all of us to his course Brahan, near Dingwall.  He will put us out on the course for
12 GBP.  He has also suggested we play against the course bogey rather than against each other.  Side bets of course are another thing.  I will include commitments to play Brahan on the spreadsheet but no money will be collected for this Pre-BUDA Early Bird Round.

Comments, criticism and corrections are expected.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qc_W_C2f3UDO-Nasqxc7eOU41wwo4pOjVdaedP5c2D4/edit?usp=sharing

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:22:51 AM by Steve Wilson »
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Jerry Kluger

Re: 2018 BUDA, Golspie and Brora
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 06:22:25 AM »
Load it up brother - I'm in.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:27:19 PM »

Here's a poll question.  What's the attitude of likely attendees towards Indian food.  There is, in my opinion at least, quite a good Indian restaurant in Brora, "Sid's Spice".  As the tentative plan is to have the official dinner in Golspie, I was thinking we could do an informal gathering here after the day's play at Brora. They have a short list of "European Foods."  Have a look, and give me feedback, Seymour.

sidspice.com

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:03:18 AM »
UK has good Indian food in my experience.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 05:06:52 AM »
I am happy with that.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 07:34:20 AM »
Sounds great.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
Steve - have you settled on dates? With the Dornoch member-guest the last weekend in May and the Open Week at Brora following are you thinking June 8-10? We want to rent a flat or cottage in the area and the sooner we can set a date the better. Thanks!!!!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Wilson

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »
Mike,

I am in touch with Brora's booking office for either May 26, June 2, or June 9.  I am going to put the ultra
persuasive James Boon on the case if I can't settle things from here.  Failing that, I'll call in Jon Wiggett
for extra muscle.  Like you, I am interested in nailing the dates down ASAP.

Where do you stand on Indian food?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »
Indian food is one of my very favorites.

Brora has an Open Week that ends on Saturday the 2nd. Would that present a problem for us to bring a big group? Obviously, we could schedule Brora on Sunday the 3rd for our singles matches.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Steve Wilson

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »
Mike,
I was told the Open Week ends on the 1st.  I'm not sure the dates for their Golf Week are etched in stone yet.  I have petitioned the club for either the 26th of May or 2nd or 9th of June.  Golspie will fall in line with whatever becomes available at Brora.

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 10:28:54 AM »
"Brora has an Open Week that ends on Saturday the 2nd."

Mike -

Per the Brora GC website, their 2018 Golf Week ends on Friday, June 1:

https://broragolfclub.co.uk/visitors/golfweek2018

Steve -

Instead of Fri-Sat-Sun (June 1-2-3), how about Sat-Sun-Mon (June 2-3-4)?

DT

P.S. Sid's Spice is fine with me.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 10:32:47 AM »
Thanks, David. I mistakenly read it ended on Saturday. The 2nd could be excellent!

I know Steve will work this out to our advantage!!!

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 10:54:36 AM »
Steve

Where do you think everyone is going to stay ? While I'm not a fan of Indian food I can happily join in for the night but where ever we eat out it would be good to be relatively handy. Just a thought.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 11:31:06 AM »
"Where do you think everyone is going to stay?"

The Links Apartments that overlook the 18th hole at Brora are certainly an option. They are managed by the Royal Marine Hotel and you can book for as little as a two night stay.

http://www.royalmarinebrora.com/en/links-apartments/

The Golf Links Hotel in Golspie is another option. It is located just beyond the 3rd tee and is within walking distance of the clubhouse.

https://www.golflinkshotel.co.uk/   

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 12:04:28 PM »
Doesn't the Marine at Brora have both apartments and villas?
If so if I wonder if a 'bulk' deal, bit like Ally/Robin did at the Talbot in Bellmullet, would be possible?
As to eating, if eating takes place at golf clubs it helps to keep money 'within the game', which at some places is very much appreciated, especially if there are 24 or so to feed. Just a thought.
Atb

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
Thomas

I was just about to post the same thing.  I think that for a Golspie/Brora BUDA, finding a place that can accommodate as many as possible is very important, and the Marine Hotel and adjacent apartments is by far the best option.

Steve

I still think that the 25th-28th May are the best dates.  The Dornoch Captain's weekend will not impinge upon accommodations in Brora and Golspie, particularly if we act soon in reserving the above places.  Another bonus of holding the event on the 25-28 May weekend is the fact that it will thwart those Budapests who sign up for the weekend and then flit off the play golf elsewhere.  With Dornoch not an option on that weekend we can keep the cats herded t BUDA.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

jvisser

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
Hi Steve,

Concerning the dates; the May slot would prevent me from joining.
No guarantee I can make it in June, but so far those dates would be possible.

Concerning the indian food; I'm fine with it.

Cheers,

Jan

James Boon

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 04:50:22 PM »
Steve,

Do you want me to drop into both the golf club and the Marine in Brora to discuss things? I'll be there Thu or Fri this week ahead.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
"Doesn't the Marine at Brora have both apartments and villas? If so if I wonder if a 'bulk' deal, bit like Ally/Robin did at the Talbot in Bellmullet, would be possible?"

Thomas D. -

Yes, the Royal Marine offers a variety of accommodations. Regarding a "bulk deal," as both Steve and I are back in the U.S., perhaps you could contact them to see what they could they could offer for a group of 20 or so visiting for 2 or 3 nights.

More info:

http://www.linksapartmentsbrora.co.uk/
http://homefarms.co.uk/brora

DT

James Boon -

Saw your thread just after I posted mine. Yes, I am sure it would be helpful if you could check with the Royal Marine to see what they could offer for a group stay.

DT
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:06:40 PM by David_Tepper »

Steve Wilson

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
Currently experiencing an internet outage at home so I had to go to a local bar to catch up on these threads.
James Boon:  yes to checking into both. I have an email to the club about tee times but have yet to get an answer.

I'm pleased to hear about the villas in Brora. That would solve a lot of housing problems.

I'm open to a Sat Sun Mon BUDA but I don't know what the advantages are as that has playing 36 on both days of the weekend rather than settling for an 18 hole day on Sunday.

Is anyone interested in the two day pro am on May 21-22. That was one of the reasons I originally proffered the May dates.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »
With respect to the Pro-Am I can only speak for myself, naturally. But I suppose that if we're going to play Golspie and Brora during the Buda event, then most of those coming from far would use any Pre- or Post-Buda slots to sample some other Scottish courses.

Even if Dornoch isn't available, I'd certainly look into Castle Stuart, Nairn or the likes of Strathpeffer and Fortrose & Rosemarkie. There's just so many I haven't played up there, even Reay comes to mind.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:28:01 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 08:24:41 PM »
"Is anyone interested in the two day pro am on May 21-22."

Steve -

Now I am a little confused. Where is this pro-am on May 21-22 taking place?

DT

Steve Wilson

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 10:36:56 PM »
At Tain and Golspie.  40 teams with one pro and three amateurs.  A 250 GBP entry fee gets four rounds of golf, two at Tain and two at Golspie.  Two of them are practice rounds on the 19th and 20th.  Following the Tuesday round there is a dinner on the grounds at Dunrobin Castle. I think there are other meals provided and the requisite goody bag. A local Golspie celebrity, Jimmy Yuill, has a hand in the organizing of it and he's the one who mentioned it to me at Golspie.

Not a part of the BUDA, just something occurring close to the same time frame.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:46:45 PM by Steve Wilson »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 10:48:19 PM »
Steve - I'm not interested in the pro am. I don't like the idea of mixing the Buda with another event. And, I'm not a fan of the early May dates.

Rihc - what the hell are you talking about? Everyone (especially those from overseas) will want to sample a wide variety of courses and make a tour out of their trips.

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »
Mike

I think what Rich was suggesting was that you don't want anyone tempted to be tempted to bunk off during BUDA so that where possible we have everyone playing all three days.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back