News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Passalacqua

Keith Foster made a renovation plan for Columbus Country Club, approximately 7-8 years ago.  The renovation did not pass with the membership and the project was put on hold.  The project came back to life a couple years ago with the removal of 1000 trees.  The front 9 renovation was completed by Kevin Hargraves last fall and the work on the back 9 has just begun.  There will be quite a bit of work during the next few years on growing in natives to finish the look.  The course has a fantastic routing with great greens.  There is a wonderful ridge that cuts through the property that is finally being exposed with tree removal.  Ross gets credit for the course after expanding Tom Bendelow's original nine and rerouting the course twice.  Finding info about the course was quite difficult due to the fact the clubhouse burnt down in the 60's with a lot of course pics and information.  Very exciting times for CCC.

Hole #2 before

Hole #2 after

Hole #3 before

Hole #3 after

Hole #5 before

Hole #5 after

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:12:06 PM by Tim Passalacqua »

Brett Wiesley

Re: Columbus Country Club (Ohio) Foster/Hargraves Renovation
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:29:34 PM »
I played there a few years ago as well.  The member was very frustrated with the fact the membership at large had voted down the work proposed by Foster.  He was almost embarrassed to host us as the conditions were very poor.

I'm glad to hear and see that they are moving forward with a masterplan.  The ridge you mentioned on the property would greatly enhance the interior views on the course, while not impacting play much.  One of the most telling signs of a course gone too far with trees/growth was the 5th.  The hole was so choked off the tee most players ended up in the bunkers on left side of the fairway - but it was a double hazard as the trees had become so overgrown you were now sitting in a bunker and blocked from the green.  Nice to see the more open views.  The property has wonderful movement and and terrain....stuff that you don't see in or near an Urban city anymore.

If I remember correctly...they had frequent problems with flooding along the 3rd and possibly 2nd hole in the fairway.  Do they plan to mitigate this as part of the masterplan?

noonan

Re: Columbus Country Club (Ohio) Foster/Hargraves Renovation (photos)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 11:38:14 PM »
It looks much better!

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 05:15:44 AM »
I am curious to know if the membership ever considered returning to the routing posted in the clubhouse where Holes #1-3 were #15-18. #3 would make for an excellent finish!
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tim Passalacqua

Re: Columbus Country Club (Ohio) Foster/Hargraves Renovation
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 10:39:09 AM »
I played there a few years ago as well.  The member was very frustrated with the fact the membership at large had voted down the work proposed by Foster.  He was almost embarrassed to host us as the conditions were very poor.

I'm glad to hear and see that they are moving forward with a masterplan.  The ridge you mentioned on the property would greatly enhance the interior views on the course, while not impacting play much.  One of the most telling signs of a course gone too far with trees/growth was the 5th.  The hole was so choked off the tee most players ended up in the bunkers on left side of the fairway - but it was a double hazard as the trees had become so overgrown you were now sitting in a bunker and blocked from the green.  Nice to see the more open views.  The property has wonderful movement and and terrain....stuff that you don't see in or near an Urban city anymore.

If I remember correctly...they had frequent problems with flooding along the 3rd and possibly 2nd hole in the fairway.  Do they plan to mitigate this as part of the masterplan?

Brett,

TDI worked on a ton of drainage in that area.  We got over 10 inches of rain in July without any real problems.  The worst thing we saw was some standing water for a couple hours where the low drains are.......after 3 inches of rain that morning!  It should be much better going forward.

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »
I am curious to know if the membership ever considered returning to the routing posted in the clubhouse where Holes #1-3 were #15-18. #3 would make for an excellent finish!

Kyle,

I like where your head is at!!!  I brought that up to our committee for a little discussion earlier this year.  #1-3 are shorter holes that move up and down the ridge beautifully.  Short irons or wedges for approaches, but the challenge is hitting them uphill to sloping greens and keeping it below the cup.  Finishing on the current #3 would be sweet.  The #3 green sits in a little natural amphitheater coming back to the clubhouse.  Also, we cleared some trees on the left as you approach the green and uncovered a vertical, 40 foot rock wall.......unbelievable.  I think the biggest obstacle to rerouting the course would be the new start.  #4 is now 468, #5 is 450, and a new tee this fall on #6 will stretch it to 475.  It really is the meat of the front nine and might be a really tough start.  I do believe at one point in the club's history they did switch the routing to what you are proposing.  Maybe we will keep kicking around the idea!

#3 rock wall starting to be uncovered

#1 approach before

#1 approach after

Trey Kemp

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:19:30 AM »
Looks great Tim, can't wait to get up there and see it!
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Mark McKeever

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »
Wow, glad they dusted off the plans and did this.  It looks great!
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
I love seeing these transformations. Just stunning how much better these holes look now. Thanks for sharing.

Peter Flory

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
The 3rd is beautiful now!

The old look on #1 was pretty nice though. 

Peter_Collins

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 02:30:10 PM »
Great looking course.   Columbus has to be on the very short list of great golf cities in the United States.

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 07:57:46 PM »
Huge improvement

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »
Agreed...the recent work is a huge improvement to the look of the course.  Anxious to get South to check it out!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tim Passalacqua

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
Agreed...the recent work is a huge improvement to the look of the course.  Anxious to get South to check it out!

The positive response is great!  I will try to get pictures of #11 and #12 up this week.  Construction is wrapping up on those holes and they are looking great.......along with some more tree clearing on the ridge line! 

The biggest change on a hole might be #12.  It was a sharp dogleg right that was so tree choked you could only hit it 230 to the corner of the fairway and leave yourself 150 in.  With the tree removal and addition of bunkers, the hole is much more interesting with plenty of options.  3 iron to the fat of the fairway - no bunkers in play, but 150 in.  3 wood to the top shelf of the fairway - bunkers on left come into play, but you only have 120 in.  Or a driver - bring all bunkers into play, but leave yourself with a pitch in!  Hopefully, you can see through the construction.  New strains of rough are being seeded and there is a ton of native seeding going on, as well.  It should look great in the spring!

Tree work on #5 ridge (It used to be a green wall.  Now this beautiful ridge is exposed.  A really unique feature of the course that had become totally hidden!)

#11 before

#11 under construction

#12 before

#12 under construction

another pic of #12 from fairway

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:14:03 PM by Tim Passalacqua »

Trey Kemp

Thanks for the update Tim, it looks like the tree clearing has made a huge impact on the look and feel of the property.  How long is the 11th hole? Can you hit driver over the right fairway bunkers?  I am also curious if the 11th and 12th holes play in the same direction.  Thanks again for the update and keep the pictures coming.  I will have to get up there next year to see it!
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Criss Titschinger

I had the opportunity to play Columbus CC a couple weeks ago. I knew this renovation had taken place. While playing, I was trying to imagine in my head how this must have looked like before. As I looked back on pictures posted here and by Kevin Hargrave, it turns out I was unable to imagine the scale of the changes. 5, 11, and 12 are especially noteworthy.

That round also made me realize how much I'm used to playing on severe-ish land in Cincinnati, as Columbus CC on the whole plays on much flatter land. You do go up and down the ridge line a few times, but nothing demanding. In fact, the only holes I remember with significant elevation were 1, 3, and 16.

As I've remarked to a few people, Columbus CC probably gets overlooked by its neighbors, but it's a very fine course and well worth the play.

Erik J. Barzeski

Gary Player would hate what’s been done to CCC but I’m looking forward to checking it out on Friday. The photos look amazing.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Tim Martin

Gary Player would hate what’s been done to CCC but I’m looking forward to checking it out on Friday. The photos look amazing.

Paddy Power has someone in your group yelling “fore” at least once at even $$$$. Report back.

Erik J. Barzeski

Paddy Power has someone in your group yelling “fore” at least once at even $$$$. Report back.
Troll better, man.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Brad Engel

Had the opportunity to play CCC yesterday with The Walking Golfers yesterday, will have a more thorough write-up shortly. One of my initial thoughts upon reflection of the round was what other courses come to mind that were forced to creatively use a single bold feature in their routing like the ridgeline at CCC. In Ohio, one of my first thoughts was the creek/valley at Inverness.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back