News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

I played Oak Hill East yesterday and Atlantic City today. Both were fun and very good courses. But as I played today I found myself in love with the angled setup versus the consistent parallel hazards yesterday.

The 13th at ACCC is a perfect example. The water is well off the tee and is at an angle along the left. Then the second shot has the reeds running diagonally along the right for the layup shot.  Oak Hill had many holes with trees parallel and greenside bunkers the same way.

I would prefer playing ACCC everyday.
AKA Mayday

Tom_Doak

Re: Oak Hill East versus Atlantic City Country Club. Parallel vs Angled.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 04:57:18 PM »
Thanks for the nice review of ACCC, Mike.

Has the restoration of Oak Hill started yet?  I doubt it was as dull as what the USGA and PGA had turned it into in order to be a "fair" major championship site.

mike_malone

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »
No work yet but great presentation boards   I hope to see it online   

They will use the creek quite differently afterwards.
AKA Mayday

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
I'm a huge fan of ACCC and play it quite often, and I agree with your main point, but it's funny that you chose probably the most stressful hole on the course as your example. The reeds are constant trouble down the right and the water is reachable. And it only gets more tight-feeling on the second shot. I think Tom did a great job of making that hole feel more tight and exacting than it really is, but compared to most other holes on the course, it definitely has the most potential for lost balls on the left and right.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 05:46:23 PM »
Mark,

Maybe my birdie affected my view of 13. I faded the drive off the right bunkers then hit my wood over the left water and short of the bunkers.

I could say 10 where the water runs along the left but is in front of you not parallel then it abuts the green at a diagonal.
AKA Mayday

Rob Marshall

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 05:47:15 PM »
Mike,  At OH isn’t the creek that fronts the 5th green angled? The creek angles in from the right on the 7th hole and squeezes the landing area. Fitting your second shot in the landing area of 13 is difficult with the bunker, hill and rough pushing you to the left where the overhanging trees will create some difficulty on your third shot.

Tom, renovation starts next summer. The senior PGA is in May 2019.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

mike_malone

I liked 7 a lot because of that angled creek and the trees left. I couldn’t see the creek before the green on 5 but hit my best shots of the day there, drive left of the water and iron straight at a back flag. The water on the tee shot there and the short four hole are to be avoided not taken on. 

Rob,

I doubt you would argue that OHE presents many angled plays versus the parallel ones.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 10:45:00 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »
Mark,

Maybe my birdie affected my view of 13. I faded the drive off the right bunkers then hit my wood over the left water and short of the bunkers.

I could say 10 where the water runs along the left but is in front of you not parallel then it abuts the green at a diagonal.

Birdie is a terrific score on that hole.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »
I’ve not played OH, but have played ACCC many times.  Photos of ACCC:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/AtlanticCity/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
I liked 7 a lot because of that angled creek and the trees left. I couldn’t see the creek before the green but hit my best shots of the day there, drive left of the water and iron straight at a back flag. The water on the tee shot there and the short four hole are to be avoided not taken on. 

Rob,

I doubt you would argue that OHE presents many angled plays versus the parallel ones.

I agree

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »
When I see angles I see decisions. When I see parallel hazards I feel constrained to just hit it straight.
AKA Mayday

Rob Marshall

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »
When I see angles I see decisions. When I see parallel hazards I feel constrained to just hit it straight.

When I see angles I get uncomfortable if I haven’t played the course before.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back