News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Profile on 10 hole Farmington East course now posted
« on: August 31, 2017, 09:33:55 AM »
In addition to his young nation, Thomas Jefferson took an interest in many things (oenology, meteorology, botany, archaeology, music, astronomy, paleontology, design, gardening, on and on). Things that he pursued, he improved and the status quo was never the same. Sadly, I cannot say the same applies to golf course architects as the word 'golf' (despite being played in ever changing landscapes) has a narrow connotation: 18 holes, 7000 plus yards, certain number of par3s, 4s, etc. Breaking the mold isn't easy to do. Like sheep going off a cliff, far easier to do what other private clubs are doing than daring to do something out of the box. 

Golfers have pursued a certain sameness for so long that finally, questions are starting to be asked. Intelligent people with a will to do what is right are taking up the cause, eager to find a fit for the sport they love within their hectic lives. As a result, we have seen: holes shortened at a championship course (Olympia Fields), 9 holers magnificently restored (Culver), a course built with 6 of each par (Cabot Cliffs), maintenance (defined as uniform playing surfaces that release balanced against cost) perfected (Wolf Point). Though a drop in the ocean, these are highly encouraging events. Add in another one: the recent creation of a 10 hole course by Coore & Crenshaw for Farmington Country Club in Charlottesville.

Bill Coore at work on the 6th green; Great to see supreme talent brought to bear on something other than an 18 hole course.

To me, it is very important because it represents the best use of the existing land. Based on the huge uptick in play and coupled with a wonderful new practice area, club members seem to agree. Yes, the # of holes is unconventional and yes the # of par 3s versus par 4s and 5s are unconventional. Yet, it is WHAT WE NEED MORE.

In theory, we all want the best golf for any situation. Yet if restrictions are in place (I would like a championship course of blah, blah, blah), the architect is shackled from the onset. Of the ~15,000 courses in this country, I reckon less than 5% pose any genuine playing interest, at least for me. That is a dismal percentage but I won't go off on rant. The point is: Give Farmington credit for doing something different. They hired people whose divergent thinking rendered something unusual. This is cause for great celebration. It is good, fun, entertaining golf presented in a different manner.

It is not easy for clubs to do something different but when they do, and it excels, we need to applaud loudly - and hope that others hear.

Here is the link:

http://golfclubatlas.com/farmington-country-club-east-course/

Best,
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:33:25 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Tim Gavrich

Re: Profile on 10 hole Farmington East course now posted
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
Reading the Farmington East profile made me revisit the profile of the main course, and a feeling I came away with was that courses in that central part of Virginia occupy something of a distinctive sort of terrain. Those ridges and stream-anchored valleys are just a bit different than  In Farmington I see a kinship with Lexington G&CC, my home course in college, and with a number of other courses in that area. Lakeview in Harrisonburg is another one, as is Boonsboro CC, based on photos I've seen and my own drivebys. Even the Cascades feels particularly Virginian, though it's a more thoroughly mountain setting than these foothill courses.

On the modern side, there's a definite kinship among Vista Links (Buena Vista), Poplar Grove (Amherst) and The Manor (Farmville), too.

A lot of courses up and down the east coast are laid out on rolling country, but there's something about that I-64/I-81 corridor that's different. Maybe we classify these courses as "foothills courses" or something. Of course it took me living in Florida and pining for that rolling terrain for the connection to register with me.  ::)
Senior Writer, GolfPass

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 02:59:12 PM »
That course looks super neat. I LOVE the 70 yard par-3 to a tiny elevated green. Would be a great asset for any club.
H.P.S.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:05:23 PM »
Thanks for posting this Ran, great to finally see some of these holes all grown in. #4 was a pile of rubble when I left!

Brian Ross

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 08:13:16 AM »
Course looks like a lot of fun and a great addition for the members at Farmington. I'm curious about the exclusion of the third hole in the review, though. Is it a connector hole or is it the best hole on the property and Ran purposely left it out for those who get to play it to discover for themselves? Par 3, I assume, since I only counted five in Ran's review of the other nine holes. For anyone who's seen it, or for those who helped build it, what are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 08:18:47 AM by Brian Ross »
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 10:09:37 PM »
Thanks Ran. There looks like some really cool stuff there.

There looked to be more obviously manufactured features on the course than the typical Coore and Crenshaw course. 

I wonder if another benefit of an unconventional concept is that allows the architect to be a bit more unconventional in their design.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Chris Sorenson

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »
Ran, awesome review of the 10 hole course.  I know of three courses in Texas with fewer than traditional 18 we are so used to. The oldest being the 9 hole Star Hollow course west of Ft Worth built by Mr. Leonard and still owned by the family.  An awesome layout done by Joe Lee. Another south of Midlothian Tx that only has three greens and stretches out to 6900 yards  built by Ralph Plummer for Mr. Meadows who was a Dallas businessman of much wealth. My first visit there to play was with the thought  that this would be boring playing the same three holes. But, to my surprise there were 18 separate tees playing from every possible angle.  We played 72 holes on that day and had blast.  The course is on 20 acres but only needed 10 acres and it would be not too different.  It sits in the middle of a very large ranch so hidden from any roads or homes. 
The other one I know of has two holes and many tees that make it a great play. 
I would love to build one of these on my place in Oklahoma and have friends over to play.

Thanks for the post

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back