News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Krume

Playing Ganton
« on: September 11, 2017, 05:27:06 AM »
Myself and a couple of friends will be travelling up from Epsom to play Ganton on Friday 29th September, I have a free spot if any one would like to join us. All you need to do is bring yourself and your bats!! You will be making up the last spot in a four ball. First tee time is 09.37 and then playing pm also. I dont mind if you want to play 18 or 36, its up to you. Unfortunately it will be first come first served...

On a seperate note, any advice as where to play on the Saturday on the return journey back to Epsom?

Sam

Tom_Doak

Re: Playing Ganton
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 07:29:23 AM »
Play Woodhall Spa on your way home.  It's a bit out of the way, but less so than usual if you are driving from the north anyway!

Sam Krume

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 07:54:36 AM »
Thanks Tom,
Having played Woodhall on a number of occasions, I was looking for somewhere new to see. Just looking for advice as where to play on a Saturday, as its an area I haven't really ventured to for golf. I was NOT looking for an invite as there seems to be quite a few cynical people probably thinking that the game at Ganton was offered just for that reason.....

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:06:44 AM »
Luffenham Heath is just off the A1. Royal Worlington a bigger detour. Thorndon Park and Orsett are just off the M25 if you go east. Going West options include The Grove and the best VFM Stockley Park.

Would hapily play any of them.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Sam Krume

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »
Luffenham Heath is just off the A1. Royal Worlington a bigger detour. Thorndon Park and Orsett are just off the M25 if you go east. Going West options include The Grove and the best VFM Stockley Park.

Tony,
I would plead with you to give Stockley a miss. Its in a shocking state.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
On a seperate note, any advice as where to play on the Saturday on the return journey back to Epsom?

Flamborough Head is very close to Ganton.  It's not a great course, but the setting certainly is and there are a number of good holes.  I really enjoyed the experience.  A few photos in this thread (though I'm not sure how much longer they will be there as they are linked from photobucket).  Mark Rowlinson recommended the course to me, and I'm glad he did.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49143.0.html

Sam Krume

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:21:24 AM »

Flamborough Head is very close to Ganton.  It's not a great course, but the setting certainly is and there are a number of good holes.  I really enjoyed the experience.  A few photos in this thread (though I'm not sure how much longer they will be there as they are linked from photobucket).  Mark Rowlinson recommended the course to me, and I'm glad he did.
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49143.0.html

John,
Many thanks for your suggestion but as we will be heading home from York, down either the A1 or M1 on the Saturday, I was looking for something down one of those corridors. Alas being a Saturday seems to be a precursor to members golf. I think we may go with Tony's advice and play Luffenham.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »

Tony,
I would plead with you to give Stockley a miss. Its in a shocking state.

Thanks for the heads up Sam. Shame there's good stuff there.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom Kelly

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
If you're heading back down the M1, pull off at junction 27 and play Notts or Coxmoor or junction 23 for Longcliffe.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:24:20 AM by Tom Kelly »

Sam Krume

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 10:49:18 AM »
If you're heading back down the M1, pull off at junction 27 and play Notts or Coxmoor or junction 23 for Longcliffe.

Hi Tom,
Many thanks for your suggestions, I have looked into those 3 options but as far as i'm aware, they don't take visitor green fees on Saturdays.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 05:32:59 PM »

Try York GC (Strensil), Notts or Lindrick. All very good courses with Notts being the pick of the bunch.

Jon

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »
Cavendish. £35 on Saturday.

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Sam Krume

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »

Try York GC (Strensil), Notts or Lindrick. All very good courses with Notts being the pick of the bunch.

Jon

Hi Jon,
I have enquired at the 2 of the 3 clubs you have mentioned (not York) but they dont take green fee visitors on Saturdays. As to York it also looks like from their website, they dont accept visitors on Saturdays either. We would like to play a bit closer to home(Epsom) as we would prefer to get some miles under our belt for the journey home BUT beggers cant be choosers I suppose.

Sam

Sam Krume

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 06:52:16 PM »
Cavendish. £35 on Saturday.

Robin,
Now thats a great shout....will definitely look into that. Also had a look at the drive from york, very beautiful across the Peak District.

Sam
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:08:08 PM by Sam Krume »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
Cavendish only has availability from 3.10pm on Saturday 30th. In common with most clubs Saturdays are members comp days. Even Jewish clubs such as Moor Allerton in Leeds are members only until late afternoon (not that you'd want to play Moor Allerton!)

If you can wait until that kind of time you are welcome at Reddish Vale as my guests free of charge. It's a pity that our Club Championship has been rescheduled to that day or I would have been able to get you out a bit earlier.

Is the slot at Ganton still available? I might be able to make it work.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:47:50 PM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sam Krume

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 01:44:34 AM »
Hi Duncan,
Yes the slot at Ganton is still up for grabs. You're more than welcome to come and join us. As I posted at the start , if you want to play 36 you can or if you just want to play 18, you can it's up to you. Just bring your bats. We are booked in for sandwiches and fruit loaf & stilton for lunch. Apparently the secretary seemed very proud of the fruit loaf as well as the coursr

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 02:26:32 AM »
Hi Sam,

In that case I'll definitely grab the morning slot. Whether I can stay and play in the afternoon as well I can't guarantee at this stage.

A 5am start, a 5-6 hour round trip, plus 36 holes at Ganton  is pushing even my Herculean limits - although I managed something similar at Silloth in the spring!

Many thanks - I'm looking forward to it!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 02:33:27 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sam Krume

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 02:44:25 AM »
Hi Sam,

In that case I'll definitely grab the morning slot. Whether I can stay and play in the afternoon as well I can't guarantee at this stage.

A 5am start, a 5-6 hour round trip, plus 36 holes at Ganton  is pushing even my Herculean limits - although I managed something similar at Silloth in the spring!

Many thanks - I'm looking forward to it!

Hi Duncan.
It's all yours. I agree with you regarding a herculean effort, that's why we're staying in York!!! Look forward to seeing you on the 29th

Sam

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 04:39:39 AM »
Cavendish only has availability from 3.10pm on Saturday 30th. In common with most clubs Saturdays are members comp days. Even Jewish clubs such as Moor Allerton in Leeds are members only until late afternoon (not that you'd want to play Moor Allerton!)

If you can wait until that kind of time you are welcome at Reddish Vale as my guests free of charge. It's a pity that our Club Championship has been rescheduled to that day or I would have been able to get you out a bit earlier.

Is the slot at Ganton still available? I might be able to make it work.

Duncan is correct in that the online booking option is only available after 3pm. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a time well before that if you called up the pro.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 12:49:10 AM »

Duncan is correct in that the online booking option is only available after 3pm. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a time well before that if you called up the pro.

You're probably right, Robin.

However, Sam and his pals are coming to Reddish Vale. It looks like I've talked myself into playing 36 holes on successive days! :o

Sam Krume

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 01:46:30 AM »

You're probably right, Robin.

However, Sam and his pals are coming to Reddish Vale. It looks like I've talked myself into playing 36 holes on successive days! :o

Duncan,
Good to hear that you're coming for the full 36 at Ganton. You know it makes sense!!.

See you on the 29th

Sam

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 04:28:25 AM »
I shall be loading a precautionary air bed and sleeping bag into the back of the van!

Jim Hoak

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 10:15:03 AM »
How good is Ganton?  I only know it by reputation.  I have the chance to play it next year, but it will require leaving 2-3 days early on a trip.  Is it one of those don't-miss-in-your-lifetime courses--or is it just another very good course?
My wife would play too.  Is it friendly and fun for a good female golfer?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 10:26:03 AM by Jim Hoak »

Sean_A

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
How good is Ganton?  I only know it by reputation.  I have the chance to play it next year, but it will require leaving 2-3 days early on a trip.  Is it one of those don't-miss-in-your-lifetime courses--or is it just another very good course?
My wife would play too.  Is it friendly and fun for a good female golfer?

Jim

I am not a huge fan of Ganton in its current narrowed state, but I still give it a 2*...Plan a significant trip around this course. The course is fine for women as there are few forced carries.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 07:52:38 AM »
Jim
Sean is right.  Course could be better with less vegetation, but absolutely worth the effort to visit.  Depending on where you are coming from, there are going to be other courses worth a look on the way. So much worth seeing in England.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back