News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Martin Toal

Tenerife Golf
« on: September 05, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
Just back from a family holiday on the island. Played golf a couple of times, at Abama and Buenavista.

Obama is a Dave Thomas course at the Ritz-Carlton, a few miles west of the busier tourist areas, not cheap 200 Euro in summer and 250 in the winter., but it is a spectacular course spilling down the hillside with some rather attractive holes. Attractive views of the rather grand hotel, La Gomera, a smaller island and the sea are The tee shot needs to be positioned carefully, albeit in generous fairways, to open a shot to a framed green. Downhill shots feature more than uphill. During August, the course was rather quiet, so a fast round was very possible. In some ways, and this may not sell it too well, it is like a Nicklaus course from his more relaxed era.

http://www.abamagolf.com/en/

Buenavista is a Seve course on the west side of the island, with am amusing or scary drive down a steep twisty road. It is set partly on a clifton and other holes more inland, and the wind which the Canaries is famous for can feature. There are a greater number of less spectacular holes compared with Abama, but this feels more like a course one would play as a club player rather than as a special treat. However, I must have missed the quirk and contrariness that I expected from Seve. There was even a waterfall.

http://www.buenavistagolf.es/index.asp?idioma=2

Anyone played either and have any thoughts about them?

Tom_Doak

Re: Tenerife Golf
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:04:25 PM »
I really liked Buenavista, but I thought Abama was horrid - lots of holes straight up and down steep slopes just so you could have the water view.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 03:37:38 PM »
I really liked Buenavista, but I thought Abama was horrid - lots of holes straight up and down steep slopes just so you could have the water view.

Yeah, I thought it was the type of course that would wow the casual tourist golfer because the views are pretty outstanding, but not really a great golf course.  I have to admit that it's fun watching your ball sail through the air for about 15 seconds on (I think) the eight hole.  And playing the first six holes straight up the hill builds some anticipation for the views you're going to get on th way back down.  Could have been in better condition as well, but it wasn't terrible.  Pretty steep property there on that side of Teide.  I played with my wife (on our honeymoon) and we rented sets, so I can't say I was taking the round very seriously.  Probably would have looked to play somewhere else, but we staying at the resort. 

Martin, how did you get to Buenavista?  Hoping you didn't have to go through Masca.  The road to Masca is probably the craziest well paved road I've ever been on, probably worse (or better, depending on your perspective) than the Road to Hana, though at least the road to Masca is two lanes the whole way. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »
The Masca road is pretty steep but the main problem is coaches and buses between Santiago del Tiede and Masca. At least the Masca Road has barriers to prevent a rapid demise unlike the Akatarawa Road between the vineyards of Martinborough and Paraparaumu Beach Golf Club!
Cave Nil Vino

Bill Seitz

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 04:19:11 PM »
The Masca road is pretty steep but the main problem is coaches and buses between Santiago del Tiede and Masca. At least the Masca Road has barriers to prevent a rapid demise unlike the Akatarawa Road between the vineyards of Martinborough and Paraparaumu Beach Golf Club!

What, you don't like 11-point turns on hairpin curves? :)  Fortunately we had a driver that day that picked us p at the hotely, drove to the Teide cable car, down to Masca, and back.  Would not have wanted to drive that myself. 

Martin Toal

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »

What, you don't like 11-point turns on hairpin curves? :)  Fortunately we had a driver that day that picked us p at the hotely, drove to the Teide cable car, down to Masca, and back.  Would not have wanted to drive that myself.

I think I did take that road, in my wheezy rental car. It was worth it, though.

On Abama, I agree to some extent that it is contrived, but I think that is kinda the point. This is a high price resort course and I think most people who play there rather seeing the ball falling from a high tee with the sea in the background. I think 6, 8, 9 and 11 which all play down the hill towards the sea are fun holes. The 10th, a par 5 with several bodies of water along the left, looks a bit too overdone to me.

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 11:47:07 PM »
We had a thread on Tenerife back in 2005 - a few posts.

I saw Abama then, and thought the run down from 7 to 11 was akin the a black ski run, without the snow.
I recall the hairpin curves on the cart path half way down the 9th, between the fairway cut-off and green approach.

There was some interesting architecture, like the split fairway on 13.

And, a few 'pretty' drop-shot par 3's.

It is a massively steep side of Teide descending down into the ocean.  It looks like you are on the water's edge, but are really a long way back.  Must be difficult to build a course on such land.

Tenerife is a long,long way from Australia.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back