News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Follow up on "fun to play"
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2017, 12:39:19 PM »

Loved Mike's article. He is soooooooo deep!  I agree a bunch.

It occurs to me that the fun golfer (I am one, blended with the environmental type....but no waterfalls, please, unless natural like at Superior National, just re-opened for you MN guys)

I doubt you could do a "all in" on one type or the other. Not to mention, one or two heroic shots would be really fun for the fun loving golfer, just not the steady diet.  I have to believe the scorecard obsessed guys actually stop and look at the ocean now and then, too.

In general, I think we have all the really tough courses we need, given the emphasis on that over the years.  Looking forward, I don't believe the next generation will enjoy golf the way the past one did.  I think to attract golfers we will need to make most courses easier - not easy - but interesting without too much penalty.

Which, in most ways, is what the Good Doctor wrote 90 years ago when saying no one should pile up a score, and that bunkers weren't placed to penalize, but to encourage certain shots.

While slightly OT, I have always wondered if there were a way to relabel courses, as in a Tournament Course really has to have hosted a major tournament.  I say add a label, because no existing course would want to be downgraded from Championship to Fun or whatever.  We would need to keep adding superlatives rather than downgrade, a la Black, up from Platinum, up from Gold, up from Silver, etc.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Garland Bayley

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 11:13:56 PM »
Dai,

The only thing monotonous about my game is my total lack of consistency. But, then that puts me in positions that are challenging. So I am fed a monotonous diet of challenges,  but I enjoy it despite the monotony of it all.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Steve Lang

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 07:58:56 PM »
Dai,

The only thing monotonous about my game is my total lack of consistency. But, then that puts me in positions that are challenging. So I am fed a monotonous diet of challenges,  but I enjoy it despite the monotony of it all.

You sound like a platinum masochist golfer!   :o   Gotta be fun to play with you!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:02:40 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 09:47:14 PM »
Dai,

You sound like a platinum masochist golfer!   :o   Gotta be fun to play with you!

I'm not so sure Steve. Do you like searching for golf balls?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ken Fry

Re: Follow up on "fun to play" New
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 10:36:26 PM »
The "Let's Head Right Back to the First Tee" list for me:

Kingsley Club
Crystal Downs
Greywalls
Lawsonia
Culver
Wolf Run
Mountain Lake
Oakhurst Links

Ken
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:26:40 AM by Ken Fry »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back