News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

I thought I would start a thread putting all the definitions on one thread.  This is to help educate us and club members that miss define typically Parkland courses for Woodlands.  Feel free to post your opinions and we can amend the OP.  Some of us agreed upon a ''Prairie'' a new category earlier this year.  I used some posts and cited them from prior threads to compile these onto 1 thread. 

Parklands-  ''A Parkland normally has a very open aspect to it with GROUPS of trees integrated into the landscape. The idea was to allow the visitor specific views of the surrounding area. Many courses claiming to be parkland do not have the open vista aspect so central to parklands and are in reality tree-lined or woodland courses.’’- Jon Wigget

‘’I'll get into some of the details of it tomorrow but the term "Park" (parkland) in this particular context goes back to England in the 18th century particularly amongst some of those famous English landscape gardners or landscape architects like William Kent, Lancelot "Capability" Brown, Humphrey Repton who did some of those famous massive English estates on a grand scale of hundreds of acres. Blenheim is an example. Those estate lands were called "parks" and that's where the term parkland came from in the context that was applied to the style of golf course called "parkland". In some cases some of the late 19th century English golf courses were just done right into those preexisting "parks" or parkland estates.’’- Tom Paul

"Open land consisting of fields and scattered groups of trees."- Oxford Dictionaries

Woodlands-  A course that is carved out of a forest.  The course could have been Parklands at one time and due to excessive over-planting it has become tree lined without being in small clusters.  These course block vistas of numerous neighboring holes and land features along with the scale of the land as well. – Ben Cowan

Heathlands-  ''Heathland is a lowland habitat, and is favoured where climatic conditions are typically warm and dry, particularly in summer, and soils acidic, of low fertility, and often sandy and very free-draining; bogs do occur where drainage is poor, but are usually only small in extent. It is dominated by low shrubs, 0.2-2 m tall, particularly heather (Calluna vulgaris), heath (Erica species) and gorse (Ulex species). It is noted for the brilliant colours when these species flower in late summer (see photo, left). The habitat is maintained artificially by a combination of grazing and periodic burning, or (rarely) mowing; if not so maintained, it is rapidly re-colonised by forest, mainly of pine (Pinus species) and Silver birch (Betula pendula).

Heathlands have a very typical associated bird fauna, notably Montagu's Harrier, Eurasian Hobby, European Nightjar, Wood Lark, Tree Pipit, European Stonechat and Dartford Warbler; where there are scattered trees, Green Woodpecker is also characteristic. Some reptiles are also largely confined to healthland, notably the Sand Lizard and the Smooth Snake, and one amphibian, the Natterjack Toad. It is also an excellent habitat for ants with many species being restricted entirely to it.

One of the biggest heathlands is the L?ger Heide in northern Germany. Other notable heaths include large parts of the New Forest and the Breckland in southern and eastern England respectively, and the Veluwe in the Netherlands, and smaller areas in Dorset, Devon and Surrey in southern England. Heathland habitats are also found in parts of Denmark, France and Spain.’’- Tony Muldoon via Google

Prairie/Dunesland- A new category that pertains mostly to sandy soil courses that have similar traits to a Heathland and Links.  There are very few or next to no trees on the interior corridors of the course.  Fine fescues are used for rough and these courses are typically one cut.  -Ben Cowan

Links-  ‘’ The word links comes from the Old English hlincas, meaning “ridges.” The Scottish term links came to mean the undulating sandy ground near a shore, which was full of ridges of windswept and hills formed by the forces of the weather and sea.’’ -from Routing the Golf Course via Forrest Richardson
‘’Linksland is land located proximal to an open sea, or bay which is connected directly to an open sea, and which possesses the characteristics of naturally rolling sand dunes or land features formed by the wind, the ocean and the receding tides; whether the land is traversed by a river or estuary associated with the land is superfluous and it may be noted that the presence of a river or other tributary or body of water differing from an ocean or sea is in and of itself not justification for land to be called bona fide linksland; land approximating linksland in this event is, in slang, "linksish" in nature, but clearly not true linksland’’- Forrest Richardson via  "On Course – A Dictionary of Golf Course terms"

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:26:47 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tom_Doak

Re: Parklands, Heathlands, Links, Woodlands, and Prairie Definitions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
Ben:

I wouldn't argue with any of your definitions, except to say that not all courses fit neatly inside a box.

Take The Loop.  I've had several people say it feels like a heathland course, and it kind of does.  But of course it doesn't have the same soil conditions as what you'd find in northern Europe, or the same species of plants ... there is one type of heather or false heather, but it is not dominant in the roughs.

It certainly isn't a parkland course, nor a woodland [though it may have been long ago], nor a prairie or duneland.  Nor is it a faux-heathland, since all the vegetation off the fairway is natural.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 02:21:28 PM »
I've always thought of "Parkland" as a catch-all term that means a course bordered by or lined with trees. 

But I get that "parkland" might be where trees are fewer and have been heavily human-managed, as opposed to a "woodland" course being carved out of trees that were already there.

I'm sure hybrids abound...Erin Hills looks "prairie" when it started as "parkland," for instance.  Although the quality of the dirt is probably most telling there.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 03:01:38 AM »
From a British perspective we have many categories;

Links
Heathland
Headland
Downland
Moorland
Genuine Parkland
etc.
etc.

And then we have the other 50 - 60% of golf courses - built on former agricultural land of no particular geological interest and subsequently lined with hundreds of trees and the odd pond to add "character" and "strategy".

These are generally referred to as Parkland courses but in truth they are Farmers' Field courses.

Very few - if any - ever make the rankings lists.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 03:33:52 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 03:29:42 AM »
And then we have the other 50 - 60% of golf courses - built on former agricultural land of no particular geological interest and subsequently lined with hundreds of trees and the odd pond to add "character" and "strategy".
These courses are generally referred to as Parkland courses but in truth they are Farmers' Field courses.

Nicely put Duncan.

As to land usage, I played Kington again the other day. Wonderful as ever.
Whilst playing I was gazing at the other hill tops nearby and remarked about their possible use for golf. A playing partner pointed out that one of the hills used to be the local horse race course and on a lower area to the north west was once another 9-hole course.
Land usage has evolved over the years.
atb

BCowan

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »
Duncan,

Farmers Field, I like that.  We could add that.  Similar to Woodlands/tree lined category, whether created by nature or man it's still a Woodlands to me IMO.  We just need more Boxes! 

Many US Parklands course originated from farm fields, tree removal was very expensive back then I believe and farm land was cleared.  Proximity to train tracks was important too I believe.

Headland and Downland?  what is that

Tom,

I was supposed to have played the Loop but we got rained out.  Anyway, it sounds closest to a Heathlands.  Any category you would like to start?   
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:37:16 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »
Tom,

I was supposed to have played the Loop but we got rained out.  Anyway, it sounds closest to a Heathlands.  Any category you would like to start?   

My point was that a lot of courses don't fit any category precisely, and I think it's a shame to waste any time arguing over such things.  When I start a project, whether it is a links or not-a-links, I don't really think that my design decisions should be based on someone's purity test.  Although, I will say, I found it annoying earlier this year to play a heathland course where they grassed all around the bunkers instead of letting the heather come up close.

BCowan

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 11:04:32 AM »
Tom,

The reason why it matters to me, is when a member plays his Parklands course after tree removal and calls it a links course.  When there are still groups of trees and wide open vistas too, which is a proper Parklands IMO.  When people ignorantly think tree lined is Parklands that bothers me.  Some of the criteria is over precise and Purity is definitely not needed in some cases IMO.  Such as can a Heathlands and Prairie's have sandy and clay soil...   

Although, I will say, I found it annoying earlier this year to play a heathland course where they grassed all around the bunkers instead of letting the heather come up close.

Well we can as a group include this and discuss this. 

Sam Andrews

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 12:03:21 PM »
Rather than Farmer's Field, why not just Farmland (which some of the Kent courses round me were and should be returned to)!

You might add Marshland. In Kent and Sussex, Lydd and Cooden Beach, have holes that are more marsh land than links. One could argue that there are holes at Littlestone and Rye that are developing marsh land characteristics (softer turf, slightly wetter) as the coast shifts.

Sam

He's the hairy handed gent, who ran amok in Kent.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back