News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Kris Spence presents restoration plan for Sara Bay (Ross)
« on: October 14, 2017, 03:14:33 AM »
The club makes this 50 minute video available on their website. If you are a fan of Ross or simply enjoy listening to an architect describe his plans, I think you will like watching this. Kris seems to be a very knowledgable guy and I really like his sensible ideas on how to make a golf course more enjoyable for all levels of golfers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUzcviUBA0&feature=youtu.be

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Kris Spence presents restoration plan for Sara Bay (Ross)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 08:07:26 AM »
Well he certainly has done a bunch of Ross renovations. Sara Bay is wonderful. I played it once about a dozen years ago and thought the green complexes were excellent. For a flat piece of ground Ross did a wonderful job making the course interesting.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 06:30:34 PM »
FYI, the video shows Spence using diagrams to go through the changes hole by hole with the membership.

I'm curious how many GCA members actually watched this. Please let me know if you did here or via private message. Thanks.

Peter Flory

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 01:17:52 AM »
Thanks for posting this.  Very interesting hearing the logic while looking at the sketches. 

Ben Kodadek

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »

This is interesting.  Only 11 years ago, Brian Silva performed a pretty big renovation.  Quote is from SBCC website.

"In the fall of 2006, Silva completed an extensive renovation, the scope of which included all new tee complexes, rebuilding of all bunkers, improved drainage, re-grassing of fairways, and conversion of putting surfaces to TifEagle Bermuda. Throughout every facet of this project, extraordinary care was taken to preserve the integrity of the original Ross design."

JReese

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 02:47:23 PM »
Bill - good find.  Interesting to hear the architect's reasoning for changes/improvements on a hole by hole basis. 

Here's a link to Ran's interview of Kris from a few months back. http://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-kris-w-spence/
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 10:17:44 PM »

This is interesting.  Only 11 years ago, Brian Silva performed a pretty big renovation.  Quote is from SBCC website.

I didn't realize that Brian Silva did the prior work, but Ken handled that in a very professional manner.

I'm not a great student of Donald Ross but one of the most interesting things about Ken's presentation is how he explained that Ross did not design the turtleback greens that SB has, these probably grew over time from topdressing. Many people think such greens, ala Pinehurst #2, are "classic Ross greens" and Ken did a nice job dispelling that notion.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back