News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Fisher

GCA at the Walker Cup
« on: August 18, 2017, 03:45:49 AM »
In the spirit of David Davis's thread on travel, and letting GCA friends know of where, in golf terms, you might be, I am heading to the LACC to watch our boys from GB&I retain the Walker Cup next month, and look forward to catching up with one or two old GCA chums and perhaps making one or two new ones. It's 36 years since I last ventured to California to watch golf (the same match, at Cypress in 1981) and (prompted not least by Ran's terrific write-up of the host venue) can't wait to make the trip.

Jeff_Lewis

Re: GCA at the Walker Cup
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:49:06 PM »
I won't be there, Richard, unfortunately.  But I love the event and the venue and wish you the best. The Walker Cup is truly the best spectator experience in competitive golf. 

David Royer

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »
Looking forward to attending my first Walker Cup.  I had the opportunity to play with Scottie Schleffer this June.  Great talented young man who plays at the University of Texas. Looking forward to following Scottie and rest of the USA team.  Oh yea, and then there's the course!!!  Thanks to Ward P. for highly recommending the event. 

Ross Harmon

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »
I'll be there with my 7 year old son and 4 year old daughter... very much looking forward to it!

John Cowden

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »
See you there, Ross.

Doug Wright

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »
I'm planning to be there for the Sunday matches. LACC is a great course that will prove a worthy venue for this event, and I'm looking forward to it.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
I'm attending with the wife, who will be rooting for GB&I; planning on Morning session on Saturday and singles on Sunday.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Ross Harmon

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 04:46:42 PM »
See you there, Ross.

Excellent - look forward to seeing you buddy!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 10:11:29 PM »
Scheffler is a good stick, no doubt. No shortness of confidence, either. When he won the USGA Junior in 2013, he truly believed he should have been at NGLA with the USA side then!!

I'd hoped, after 2009 (Merion) and 2013 (NGLA) to make it out to LACC in 2017. Sadly, the streak comes to an end. Hopefully I'll have a bounce-back birdie in 2021, somewhere in south Florida.

It's the best team event there is, thanks to the courses and the respect for the game.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Richard Fisher

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 05:17:12 AM »
Many thanks. I have managed to do Cypress (1981) when a student, then a long gap to Ganton (2003) and then every one since County Down (2007), so Merion, Balgownie, NGLA, Lytham and now the LACC. Interestingly I thought Lytham a much better and more rewarding course after that trip than I had ever done before: it was fascinating to watch  good players tackling Lytham without the surrounding paraphernalia, and huge crowds, of an Open Championship. Which is of course one of the truly great attractions of the Walker Cup from a spectator perspective.

Back to Hoylake in 2019 (the 150th birthday of the Liverpool Golf Club) and then Seminole in 2021, which (like all of the US venues I have attended) would be another first-time visit for me.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 04:25:21 PM »
I'll be there on Saturday, probably for the afternoon matches.  It will be my 2nd Walker Cup, the other being the 1985 Walker Cup at Pine Valley.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 11:53:58 PM »
I will be in LA for work this week and hoping to sneak out for a bit of the practice session on Friday before my flight out. Would love to be able to see LACC.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »
Richard I miss the WC for the first time since 2005 when it all began. I know you will represent St David's well.

I admit to being a bit off with the yanks this year; they overlooked my hometown boy Dylan Meyer who has been in the top five amateur ranks all year and they allowed another Indiana favorite son to remain as coach after he egregiously botched his Capt at LSA in 2015; truly dreadful performance and results. Go GBI
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John McCarthy

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »
I have met exactly one Walker Cupper in my life but the alums also have a tournament at the same time.  When it was at NGLA they had Pine Valley, Shinnicock and ?.

I suppose Riviera and Bel Aire are hosting. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 12:47:44 PM »
I plan on attending all day, every day.  I hope to meet some of you.  I will be the tall old guy with beige Walker Cup/LACC hat.  I will watch a variety of matches, spending only a little time with the USC love fest going on in the Stewart Hagestad group.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
Lynn - I hope I get to see you! I have made last minute plans to fly out to LA on Friday to visit my son. We are attending the UCLA football game on Saturday, then the Walker Cup on Sunday. I'll be on the lookout.

Mike

PS - we are missing you at the Buda Cup. This year's event was EPIC!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 04:29:14 PM »
.  I will watch a variety of matches, spending only a little time with the USC love fest going on in the Stewart Hagestad group.

It's probably going to be limited on Saturday since USC is playing Stanford that day.  Regardless he's a deserving participant.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 09:27:03 PM »
Lynn - I hope I get to see you! I have made last minute plans to fly out to LA on Friday to visit my son. We are attending the UCLA football game on Saturday, then the Walker Cup on Sunday. I'll be on the lookout.

Mike

Great to hear from you Mike.  If you go to the football game, be sure to stay until the end!

Hope to see you Sunday.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 10:05:15 PM »

Mike

Great to hear from you Mike.  If you go to the football game, be sure to stay until the end!

Hope to see you Sunday.
I doubt they'll have to make a comeback against Hawaii.  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

David_Tepper

PGertner

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 09:42:55 PM »
I am very excited too, as this will be my first Walker Cup since I worked at Pine Valley in 1985.

Patrick Gertner
Los Angeles

Jason Way

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 11:07:37 PM »
A photo compilation from Jon Cavalier for those attending/watching who are not that familiar with the course:

https://geekedongolf.com/2017/09/07/linksgems-walker-cup-course-preview/
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Doug Wright

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
While we're at it, Ran's GCA review of LACC North is worth a look too:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/los-angeles-country-club/
Twitter: @Deneuchre

JJShanley

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 05:43:09 PM »
The GB&I logo is among my favorite in golf.  My dad used to play at Craigielaw, whose clubhouse has GB&I Walker Cup bags from two members who competed in recent years. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 06:02:01 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back