News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: Time To Hold A Major In A Non-English Speaking Country?
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2017, 11:26:13 PM »
Well the Olympics really lit a fire under golf in Brazil so why not have one there? They may need to build another course for it though.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2017, 04:47:18 PM »

If you switch the weighting round to favour the European Tour then hey presto very few US golfers. Having said that only three US golfers in the top 10.

Do you think the Euro Tour is better than the U.S. Tour?

Jim,

it depends how you look at it. The point I was making to Kalen was that the rankings were set up to ensure the PGA Tour had most of the top players  by starting out weighting its tournaments with higher points. As a way of showing where the best players are it is a pretty poor method.

As to which tour is better I don't think one is better than the other. Until the late 90s it would have been easy to say the PGA Tour was the best but to be honest there are so many mundane courses on it these days and too many that play/look the same week to week it is mainly a snooze festival. Add in the jerks screaming 'GET IN THE HOLE' at the top of the backswing and it has lost a lot of its appeal.

I would much prefer them to play some of the more oddball courses which are slightly shaggy at the edges but present a different test to the players from week to week. Professional golf has become too corporate presenting too much image and too little substance. People want their heroes to have flaws and be up against it before they somehow overcome adversity to pull the win out of the hat ala Jordan Spieth at Birkdale. The PGA Tour is too polished, to fake, too interested in turnover and not interested enough in normal golf to be loved.

Jon

Philippe Binette

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »
Easy

Play the british open at royal jersey... official language french and english

There are no official language in the USA... isn't florida a spanish speaking country 😉

Play the pga championship in bāton rouge louisiana!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back