News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Has the evolution of putting been good for the game?
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 09:39:18 AM »
I think technology (of golf clubs and maintenance equipment) has completely changed what aspects of the game are most important. 50 years ago, the golf clubs were not very forgiving and hitting greens in regulation was very difficult and you needed to be a great ball striker to be a great player. There was a huge difference between great ball strikers and mediocre ball strikers. The greens were not very fast, which made putting easier. Two putting from 30 feet is much easier on slow greens and 5 footers are much easier on slow greens. Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, and Byron Nelson were some of the best ball strikers to ever live and they dominated in their day. Putting was a different story for Hogan and Snead.

I couldn't disagree more.
fast greens are much easier.
A mishit on a fast green hardly affects the ball at all.
Master a 2-6 inch backswing and you have it on today's fast greens.
Try a green sloping  with 4-6 degrees with a pin actually cut in that slope that stimps at 5 and tell me a 5 footer is easy.
Try controlling distance on a 45 footer uphill 5 degrees vs. the opposite putt downhill. One requires about 1/10 the size of swing of the other and you better strike the uphiller solid or you'll be 20 feet short.
On today's super fast greens actual slopes are neutered, and when not neutered, not used for pin placements-resulting in boring flattish tiers being built or used.

A 6 footer on TOUR is a virtual certainty-30 years ago it was 50%.
Who knows what it was 50 years ago.

and I also agree that technolgy has shrunk courses, making approaches shorter, but the old equipment wasn't that hard to control-it just went shorter on smaller scale courses.It's not like all the bombers are hitting it straight, it's just that every week a new bomber happens to be hitting it where he can find it and plays well.

I'm a very crooked hiiter(about the same with today's equipment as old stuff-but longer) and today's greens help me more than the old greens ever did.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ed Homsey

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 01:14:33 PM »
"Ability to putt--that's the secret of golf success" --Walter J. Travis  (Washington Herald, June 13, 1915)

Mark_Fine

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »
Ed,
Great quote!  If someone said that about golf 50 years earlier, no one would have known what they were talking about  :)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 05:36:14 PM »
"A man who can putt is a match for anyone." - Willie Park

"If you're going to miss 'em, miss 'em quick." - George 'Miss Them Quick' Duncan

Atb

V. Kmetz

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 05:30:05 AM »
The evolution of putting has been good for the game.

The growing obsession with ultra-fast green speeds has not been good for the game.

This nearly covers it for me...

Color:
While I can't back it up empirically, I agree that "putting was more of a shot" on slower greens of yore.

Not only do I still play greens that roll at/under 6 (BTW that's a lie - "6" - because their true challenge is that they roll like 3 up a hill against grain, and 10 down hill with it), but I also have logged some 2500+ rounds caddying and playing repeatedly at some of the world's known best and some of the world's anonymous best courses... at every day speeds of 10.5 - 11.5 and nearing 13 on the odd occasion.

To me, on slow, sub 7.5 greens (which usually are found by me at places and green pads so wickedly sloped they could not bear more than 9 ) you need a wrist pop here and there...a method to impart overspin on a 30 footer, sometimes in the fringe...a bit of "cut" now and again so a three footer side-hill/downhill doesn't hurtle through the high side or to tack it against a reverse-camber slope in the surface.

Even absent that feature, I also observe that top club greens are more fun, the slower they get. On the odd occasion these great renown greens are found playing in the 8s and 9s and they are tremendous fun at that pace. you can really give your putts a fair strike. When they are in the high 11s or 12+, it is a uninteresting, precision shoulder movement that elite players have to master.

cheers  vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Eric LeFante

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2017, 10:28:11 PM »
I think technology (of golf clubs and maintenance equipment) has completely changed what aspects of the game are most important. 50 years ago, the golf clubs were not very forgiving and hitting greens in regulation was very difficult and you needed to be a great ball striker to be a great player. There was a huge difference between great ball strikers and mediocre ball strikers. The greens were not very fast, which made putting easier. Two putting from 30 feet is much easier on slow greens and 5 footers are much easier on slow greens. Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, and Byron Nelson were some of the best ball strikers to ever live and they dominated in their day. Putting was a different story for Hogan and Snead.

Try a green sloping  with 4-6 degrees with a pin actually cut in that slope that stimps at 5 and tell me a 5 footer is easy.
Try controlling distance on a 45 footer uphill 5 degrees vs. the opposite putt downhill. One requires about 1/10 the size of swing of the other and you better strike the uphiller solid or you'll be 20 feet short.
On today's super fast greens actual slopes are neutered, and when not neutered, not used for pin placements-resulting in boring flattish tiers being built or used.

and I also agree that technolgy has shrunk courses, making approaches shorter, but the old equipment wasn't that hard to control-it just went shorter on smaller scale courses.It's not like all the bombers are hitting it straight, it's just that every week a new bomber happens to be hitting it where he can find it and plays well.

I'm a very crooked hiiter(about the same with today's equipment as old stuff-but longer) and today's greens help me more than the old greens ever did.

Jeff,

If fast greens are easier than slow, why were the pros complaining at Quail Hollow about how fast the greens were last week? Why would the USGA choose to make the greens as fast as they can for the US Open? Why does Oakmont make their greens run at 13+? Would going long off the tee at 16 at Augusta be as terrible on slow greens as it is on fast greens? All these courses and organizations would make their greens run at 7 if it was more difficult.

A good player can shoot at every pin on slow greens because short siding yourself isn't a problem on slow greens because it's possible to stop a flop shot on slow greens. On fast greens there are times when you short side yourself and you cannot get up and down no matter how good your short game is.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:34:16 PM by Eric LeFante »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 11:01:18 PM »
When you make putts worth half a stroke then you putt a premium on getting to the green (assuming a putt is defined as a stroke taken when on the putting green). Someone who can reach a par five in two and all par fours in two has a huge advantage over a shorter hitter with this scoring system. Is that really what you want? 

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2017, 12:09:32 AM »
If putts were worth 1/2 a stroke, wouldn't everyone just aim for the fattest part of the green on all shots? An approach landing on the green 50 feet from the hole would be vastly preferable to an approach coming to rest on the fringe 10 feet from the cup, no?
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

jeffwarne

Re: Has the evolution of putting been good for the game? New
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 11:49:22 AM »

Jeff,

If fast greens are easier than slow, why were the pros complaining at Quail Hollow about how fast the greens were last week? Why would the USGA choose to make the greens as fast as they can for the US Open? Why does Oakmont make their greens run at 13+? Would going long off the tee at 16 at Augusta be as terrible on slow greens as it is on fast greens? All these courses and organizations would make their greens run at 7 if it was more difficult.

A good player can shoot at every pin on slow greens because short siding yourself isn't a problem on slow greens because it's possible to stop a flop shot on slow greens. On fast greens there are times when you short side yourself and you cannot get up and down no matter how good your short game is.

Eric,
Your wisdom is conventional and most of the powers that be would agree with you.

The pros were complaining about the SLOPES at Quail-result? The slopes will be reduced(that's what many commentators said needed to be done)-the greens will not be slowed down-just the slopes neutered.

All things equal, the greens at Augusta are going to be harder at 14 then they are at 10.
But they're not equal--- and they've flattening and tiering those greens bit by bit over the years so they can play at super high speed.

Slower greens with more slope can be kept firmer as the turf is less stressed.
More slope makes the tilt of a green actually matter and coupled with firmness can really affect a first bounce.(making angles and shot placement actually matter).
A softer, fast green will tend to have less slope (at least in the pinnable area) and while the ball may roll further, its first bounce is less and a super spinny shot doesn't actually roll much anyway-but will certainly bounce farther on a firmer green-remeber on a fast green that roll could be backwards-something seen less often on firmer slower greens.

As far as running their greens at 7?
If they ran them at 7, and cut the pins into sloped areas(2-4 degrees) to have them curve commensurately as  less slope with high speed, they would be much tougher-due to the DRAMATIC differences in pace between uphill and downhill putts.
If they put them in the same mundane locations they are forced to due to high speed, yes putting would be easier at 7 stimp.
The whole fun of playing greens at the appropriate speed is to appreciate and experience the architecture-not avoid it by finding a "fair" pin placement.

Clubs and organizations don't don't run their greens fast(absolte stimp) for any other reason than to measure their johnsons.
A green running 7 can produce an equally fast putt as a green running 13  IF that green is allowed to have and USE an area with enough slope. And the difference between and uphiller and downhiller will be exponentially greater, due to the incredible slowness of the putt UP the hill on that green running at 7 which tolerates far more slope.

Read some old articles about Augusta and Sam Snead as well as Pete Dye's take on green speeds, slope and grain.

Signed,
less conventional
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 06:33:11 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back