News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Taylor

Re: Time To Hold A Major In A Non-English Speaking Country?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »
Players can take time off anytime they wish. As for holding major championships in non-English speaking countries, maybe it's time to create more majors. If there is demand, it will be met.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:18:37 PM »
Well, if the world is ready for five majors, maybe.

But the first four are run by:

Augusta National Golf Club
The United States Golf Association
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, and
The PGA of America

Which of those is going to take their show to South Korea?  C'mon, man ...

As for the players' demands, the players run the TOUR ... but that's all the players, not just the elite players.  The players, as a whole, want as many tournaments as they can play.  In fact, the players as a whole would be happy with a schedule where McIlroy and Walker and the major winners could take some time off or go make appearance fees in Asia or Europe, while the rest of them have a better chance of making top-10 money.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:50:01 PM »
A forum with 1500 white guys probably don't understand this, but a major is already being held in a "Non-English Speaking Country":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evian_Championship
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:03:15 PM »
A forum with 1500 white guys probably don't understand this, but a major is already being held in a "Non-English Speaking Country":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evian_Championship

Yes, this year...what about next year?  The Women's major roundabout is a waste of space.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve Salmen

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 09:58:35 PM »
Is there a movement outside the non English speaking world to host a Major golf championship?

I don't think any of the Majors were born that way. Their prestige evolved over time and significance of victory grew.

Should we grant a tournament Major status based on geography? I'll keep an open mind but there should be quite a compelling pro argument.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 10:19:51 PM »
We must address this issue immediately!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 10:23:25 PM »
The Australian Open *should* be a major, but most players don't want to travel that far at that time of year.  And I can vouch for them that it takes a lot out of you to go back and forth from here to Australia, even if you are flying in style.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 10:28:17 PM »
Jack survived Tiger's run at his record so maybe social media can get someone else over 18 Majors.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 03:57:58 AM »
When the politico's hold The Open at Royal Porthcawl.

Or how about at a course near llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch......imagine the engraver writing this on the old claret jug! :)

Atb
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:03:58 AM by Thomas Dai »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 04:41:28 AM »
Should we grant a tournament Major status based on geography? I'll keep an open mind but there should be quite a compelling pro argument.

I am somewhat surprised that Dubai or Abu Dhabi have not produced a post-Super Bowl $25 million purse (roughly 2x the current Majors purses) tournament in February. The NCAA Basketball Tournament has not started on TV, so that is a slow TV time. With the new-PGA Championship squeezed between The Masters and US Open, and now competing with The Players Championship it could easily lose its already diminishing draw.

Sadly we are in the times of money driving prestige in pro sports. If oil goes back to $75, it is at least a conversation. I acknowledge that not having The Masters as the season opening Major would be strange.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 11:59:50 AM »
SUPER BOWLS, WORLD SERIES, SOCCER WORLD CUPS, are all held where people follow the sport....as much as we try to present golf as being popular in some of these other places...it is just what it is....the majors are where they need to be.   Now the LPGA may need to go elsewhere as corporate sponsors in the US fade but I don't see it for the men...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »
SOCCER WORLD CUPS

Korea and Japan?  the USA?  Qatar???  This one weakens your argument by a lot.

I also disagree with Mr. Sweeney.  The money does not drive the prestige in golf.  The players are absolutely motivated to win the $10m for the Fed Ex Cup or the Race to Dubai, but does anyone else care at all?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »
SOCCER WORLD CUPS

I also disagree with Mr. Sweeney.  The money does not drive the prestige in golf.  The players are absolutely motivated to win the $10m for the Fed Ex Cup or the Race to Dubai, but does anyone else care at all?

Tom,

But doesn't this drive the prestige because it attracts all the best players to one tournament?  Probably wouldn't matter where they actually tee it up at...

Steve Salmen

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 03:44:49 PM »
Players vs Australian Open. Best 2 candidates I can think of. One has history and venues on it's side, the other has the best field in golf, I'm told. Edge to Players though I have little interest in playing it.

Problem is they're played in English speaking countries.

What are the most important events outside ES World? Dubai Desert Classic, WGC event in China?  Can't see these as Majors.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 04:18:24 PM »
SOCCER WORLD CUPS

Football is huge in Korea and Japan. Qatar, absolutely
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

BHoover

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 04:24:40 PM »
Players vs Australian Open. Best 2 candidates I can think of. One has history and venues on it's side, the other has the best field in golf, I'm told. Edge to Players though I have little interest in playing it.

Have you communicated this to PGA Tour headquarters so they can give your spot in the tournament to an alternate?

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
The term major is somewhat arbitrary isn't it?  Does any official organization designate the majors?  I guess indirectly, by allocating high world golf event points, 20 professional tours permit the common belief that the Masters, PGA, US and British Opens are the 4 major tournaments in professional golf.  Interestingly last year The Players had a higher world rating value than the Masters (way smaller field size explains the lower world rating value) and if The Players had a higher event ranking it would have had a higher rating than the US Open.

The headline about an overseas major is really only a piece of the linked article.  Really scheduling is the topic of the article but that won't get clicks.  Nor would the topic of how to keep everyone happy and maximize money with professional golf, which is what scheduling is about.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 06:57:59 PM »
Does any official organization designate the majors? 

• Titelist
  • Under Armour
  • Taylor Made
  • Calloway
Every contract in sports is now focused on these companies. When they pay Rickie Fowler two times the prize money for the Dubai Major, you will have a new Major.

Tom Doak,

Apples and Oranges. You are talking about Golf trying to create a Playoff with a deferred compensation. If you hot the Mega Million tomorrow, are you taking the direct pay or the deferred pay? :)

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »
The President's Cup was held in Korea. The Ryder Cup has and will be held on the Continent. That is a start.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 07:05:53 PM »
I don't know why holding a major in a non English Speaking country is important in and of itself.  There are plenty of other tours that play in non-English speaking countries for local opportunities.

P.S.  Golf isn't alone, The best Basketball players play in the US and Canada...Ditto for Hockey, Baseball, and American Football.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »

P.S.  Golf isn't alone, The best Basketball players play in the US and Canada...Ditto for Hockey, Baseball, and American Football.

Apples and Oranges (see the Doak thread, you are in good company). Basketball, hockey, baseball, and football (American) are all team sports. Golf is an individual sport with an occasional team element.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 07:22:27 PM »
How about a PGA in Cabo? Mexico is repped by the PGA right?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

jeffwarne

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »
They play plenty of events in non english speaking countries.
They are majors for the players in them-just not considerd that by the worldwide press and public.

Move one of the four current majors to a non english speaking country-won't be a major very long.
Majors evolve-The China Open may well be a major one day-The PGA is certainly opening the door for that with its mediocre courses.
The only possible major that could move successfully would be the Open Championship-but why would they?
Theu command the best sites and have 160 years of tradition on their side.

That said in another 10 years there won't be a classic links big enough to host the best equipment players.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

James Brown

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 09:27:38 PM »
Good lord why would you want to today? 

Tennis the best comparison.  Their majors evolved just like golf.  The tennis majors correspond to the roots of tennis and to its prevalence. 

The growth of golf in Asia is pretty important, but golf is still a very minor sport in most of Asia, outside of perhaps South Korea and Japan.  I suspect Asia won't develop its own major for decades, if at all. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back