News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RDecker

Irma's path and affected clubs
« on: September 06, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »
As this very powerful storm heads for Florida I was wondering if any of the work being done at Seminole is still in progress?  If there were exposed surfaces that were works in progress would those contours be vulnerable or more vulnerable than other areas.  I know that golf is small consideration in the big scheme but I just was thinking about that as I glanced at Top 100 list.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: Irma's path and affected clubs
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:47:50 PM »
Yes, with a Cat 5 hurricane heading to FL and over 20M people in its path, I would safely say that Seminole's current work (?) is a very "small consideration".

This storm will kill people and may perhaps severely damage some courses that may not be able to recover.

Seminole will be fine.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 09:51:56 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

Greg Chambers

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:28:20 PM »
First world problems.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 06:36:28 AM »
Literally and figuratively, Irma is going to change the landscape in SFLA. Id be lying if I said I wasn't really nervous. Seeing some videos of the wind coming from Puerto Rico doesn't make anything better.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 06:42:25 AM »
Literally and figuratively, Irma is going to change the landscape in SFLA. Id be lying if I said I wasn't really nervous. Seeing some videos of the wind coming from Puerto Rico doesn't make anything better.

We have friends in the USVI and the now direct hit BVI. I have watched hurricanes all my life as a Jersey Shore kid, and I have never seen pics like I saw this morning from Tortola.

#BeSafe
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Nathan Gingrich

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 07:58:57 AM »
Like Tony said it is going to physically change South Florida and more specifically today SW Florida. I live in Naples and if the 15 foot storm surge that is forecasted happens almost everything west of I-75 will go under salt water. This aside from the historically wet summer we have had averaging 20" of rain in June, July, and August. The home my family is in if it doesn't get its roof blown based on the topo map will have about 4 feet of water in it when we return. This all on top of reaching substantial completion on a renovation two weeks ago.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 09:01:07 AM »
As this very powerful storm heads for Florida I was wondering if any of the work being done at Seminole is still in progress?  If there were exposed surfaces that were works in progress would those contours be vulnerable or more vulnerable than other areas.  I know that golf is small consideration in the big scheme but I just was thinking about that as I glanced at Top 100 list.

Kind of inappropriate right now ???
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 09:38:53 AM »

Kind of inappropriate right now ???

Yeh, 70 deaths in Houston area attributed to Harvey, pray it passes quickly wherever it goes..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 10:54:06 PM »
Looks like she is right over Streamsong, right now.

Luckily, it's high ground, and there aren't too many trees to worry about.  But they may have a lot of sand blow around onto fairways!  GL to Rusty and Kyle and the crew.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 11:32:50 PM »
Looks like she is right over Streamsong, right now.

Luckily, it's high ground, and there aren't too many trees to worry about.  But they may have a lot of sand blow around onto fairways!  GL to Rusty and Kyle and the crew.

Thank you Tom.

Eye is about to blow right over us here in Lakeland. Fortunately, the storm has weakened significantly from earlier today and those forecasts. Just lost power at my house but the grid is still up!
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

John Cowden

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 11:44:56 PM »
I was thinking Streamsong could handle a direct hit as well as any golf resort/course/venue.  Time will tell.  I'd rather every Tampa street be underwater than every Streamsong green be under sand.  My next tee time:  Streamsong Red, September 28.  It be my birthday, Irma be damned.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 07:40:25 AM »
I was thinking Streamsong could handle a direct hit as well as any golf resort/course/venue.  Time will tell.  I'd rather every Tampa street be underwater than every Streamsong green be under sand.  My next tee time:  Streamsong Red, September 28.  It be my birthday, Irma be damned.
Please think about the people that work there.  They may need the income, but their world may be shattered.
How long will the power be out?  How much gasoline will there be in Florida 2 weeks from now?
I want to play in the Dixie Cup but it is difficult for me to see how the resort can pull it off.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:46:07 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »
We had over 6" of rain and a lot of debris, not real tree or water damage. We should have things cleaned up in a day or 2 and back to mowing. I think the real damage and cleanup is going to be on the west coast. They've been wetter than us all summer and had more storm surge.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »
We had over 6" of rain and a lot of debris, not real tree or water damage. We should have things cleaned up in a day or 2 and back to mowing. I think the real damage and cleanup is going to be on the west coast. They've been wetter than us all summer and had more storm surge.

Tony-Any Intel on the clubs in and around Jupiter/Jupiter Island? Thank you.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »

Here is one course impacted by Irma:

http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2017/u-s--women-s-mid-amateur/articles/u-s--women-s-mid-amateur-postponed-due-to-hurricane-irma.html

The 31st U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur Championship, scheduled to be played Oct. 7-12, 2017, at Quail Creek Country Club in Naples, Fla., will be postponed due to the after-effects of Hurricane Irma.
[/size]“After assessing the storm’s impact on the course, we have determined with Quail Creek that the championship cannot be successfully conducted on the scheduled dates next month,” said U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur Championship Director Rachel Sadowski. “Our thoughts are with our good friends at Quail Creek, and with everyone affected by the storm.”[/color]
[/size]The USGA will continue to work closely with Quail Creek to determine when the championship will be played, and more details will be announced at a later date.[/color]
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

BCrosby

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »
A member just shared with me a message from Seminole. Other than flooding on the lower holes and the loss of a large number of palm trees (which will be replaced the note said), the course survived well. No significant damage to the clubhouse.

Bob

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
From Streamsong's Facebook page:

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 11:11:13 PM »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »

We are opening back up at noon today, but we do not have nearly the ficus, olives or oak trees that other courses do. We also spent a pile of money last year redoing drainage and raising the course, so flooding wasn't too bad.
  Talking with my peers, Miami/Key Largo and the Naples area are a much different story. Months of cleanup.
Anthony J. Nysse
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

BCowan

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2017, 08:07:09 AM »
Timuquana clubhouse took a beating, which is one of the coolest vistas one can find.  The course was closed for a week. 

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2017, 12:55:44 PM »
Timuquana clubhouse took a beating, which is one of the coolest vistas one can find.  The course was closed for a week.

Timuquana's lower level of the clubhouse was flooded and power was returned mid-to-late in the week. The majority of the clubhouse returned to full operation yesterday. The practice grounds opened today and the full golf course will probably take another week or so to open after Irma took roughly 90 trees.

BCowan

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2017, 01:30:08 PM »
Steve,

Great to hear about the clubhouse and mother nature tree removal. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 02:08:00 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 12:33:03 AM »
Maria's destructive path cut across two PGA Tour second tier events, scheduled for March. The Punta Cana event will undoubtedly go on, but the early March event scheduled for Coco Beach in Rio Grande, Puerto Rico faces a grim task.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back