News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

August 17, 2017 USA Solar Eclipse and Golf
« on: August 03, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
The August 21, 2017 USA solar eclipse covers a path from Oregon to South Carolina.   I'm hoping to take off a few days and drive down to see it - probably in SC, NC, or Tennessee.

Is anybody else headed to view the eclipse, and maybe tie in some golf during the trip too?

As for me, I'm playing it by ear because a cloudy day would ruin the experience.  Hopefully pick out a spot that's forecast for clear weather and has a fun golf course nearby for the day before.  Then hop in the car and cruise down from Philadelphia.

PS - Silvies Ranch in Oregon has an "Eclipse Package", but it's WAY too expensive for me ($1800 for a day night package)

Howard Riefs

Re: August 17, 2017 USA Solar Eclipse and Golf
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:06:08 PM »

Is anybody else headed to view the eclipse, and maybe tie in some golf during the trip too?

Kansas City...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64782.msg
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:35:01 PM »
The Silvies Ranch package is for three nights, plus two days unlimited golf. I won't make any plans until I get a good forecast on cloud cover, and live where there is 98% totality. Gas up and have a food source. A a million visitors expected for Oregon.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 03:14:08 PM »
Dan,

I live in what is being billed as the epicenter of eclipse viewing (West KY).  Apparently Hopkinsville KY has been deemed the best place in the states to view it and they are expecting over 100000 tourists (the town is only about 15-20000??). 

As far as golf is concerned; Olde Stone in Bowling Green is probably the best bet.  Not sure how tough it would be to get on there??  The French Lick courses wouldn't be too far away (maybe 2 hours??) or Victoria National would be in the same range.  Nashville is nearby...you might get some info from M Hendren to see if any of the newer stuff down there is worth looking into; I know there is a development course by Norman south of town but I had no luck with access.

Sweetens Cove would be about 3 hours away; just a few hours from Nashville if you are going to stay on the eastern side of TN.

If you do make it down, enjoy our little part of America.  This is a huge event for everyone around here.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »
I will be at Musgrove Mill GC in Clinton, SC just south of Greenville. It is right in the bulls eye. I am happy to host anyone. The course is open that day.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
Slighty OT here, but whats the big attraction to see the eclipse?

I know its 'different strokes for different folks' and all, but I just don't get it.

P.S.  My wife is doing a getaway with some hippie friends in Idaho to see it and write poetry and stuff, and I was like have a fun trip!  ;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »
The attraction?  I'm a science geek, and LOVE seeing science in action.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
Is Sand Hills in the eclipse path?

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:12:23 PM »

P.S.  My wife is doing a getaway with some hippie friends in Idaho to see it and write poetry and stuff, and I was like have a fun trip!  ;)

Sounds like code for blazing time.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 06:08:57 PM »

I had a long time thread (5 years plus) on the eclipse which must have disappeared, detailing the first and last golf courses at the center of totality and many in-between. I think a number of us will be at Dismal River, making their  reservations years in advance. The  interactive map I use is at the link at the bottom: if you click on the 6th word (which is "here") in the first sentence.
My closest shot may be a normal 35 minute drive to the OGA course in Woodburn, which is barely in the totality shadow. They have a tournament with some openings.

http://www.mcglaun.com/eclipse/2017/maps.htm
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:14:17 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »

Slighty OT here, but whats the big attraction to see the eclipse?
I know its 'different strokes for different folks' and all, but I just don't get it.
Kalen,
Having experienced one (at the Stonehenge replica near Maryhill, WA) it is awe inspiring, watching the black shadow rushing towards you at 1,000 mph (+/-). I thought back centuries of those who saw it with no forewarning and scientific knowledge. Likewise, when playing St Andrews and thought back to the forebearers of golf. To me it is not that much different.''
I'm still inclined to drive to see the eclipse, and my yard will have 99.25 totality, but that is still a partial eclipse, but the 10 pin is wobbling.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:26:07 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 11:33:49 PM »
It comes almost directly over us...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

BHoover

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »
I don't believe in solar eclipses. I always worry whether the sun will disappear.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 12:16:03 PM »

Tim,

That may very well be, but she claims to have a 420 allergy?  ;)

P.S.  I get the science to figuring out when it will happen, pretty amazing stuff...but it just an eclipse....
P.P.S.  They are also predicting apocalyptic traffic conditions in southern Idaho as there a few roads in that general area to handle the expected near 1 million visitors.

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 06:45:45 AM »

Tim,

That may very well be, but she claims to have a 420 allergy?  ;)

Watch out for ramped up "homemade" cookie and brownie production just prior to trip. ;D ;)

Norbert P

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »
  Latest weather report (8/16) in Oregon is Dragons will be viewable devouring the Sun. 

The only iffy spot is on the coast where low clouds are always a possibility.

What are the odds of somebody getting a Hole-in-One during totality?

Anybody have a tee time during a round of golf?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Peter Flory

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
There are a few USGA mid-am qualifiers during the eclipse.  Might get a little weird.  I'm curious as to whether they will build in some sort of predetermined rain delay.   

Norbert P

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 07:50:55 PM »
Sand Hills GC,  Mullen, Nebraska is in the path.   That would be an awesome experience.  With or without the brownies.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 08:22:14 PM »
Is Sand Hills in the eclipse path?
Sounds like a great excuse to head for Sand Hills

Terry Lavin

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 09:33:41 PM »
 ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:36:22 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 03:04:35 AM »
The center line of totality runs right between the clubhouse and ninth green of Keller's Crossing at Stone Creek GC in Makanda, Ill., just south of Carbondale. There's a shotgun tourney in the morning and a party at totality. I wrote about it in August's Illinois Golfer, and plan to be somewhere on that path on Monday.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Frank Kim

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »
I will be watching the eclipse at the Cliffs at Mountain Park.  There's room for one more if anybody is interested.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
Already heavy traffic in central Oregon, long lines at gas stations and a few stations are out of gasoline.

John Cowden

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »
Dismal River.  Expect to be behind the 9th tee on the White Course when totality arrives. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »
Dismal River.  Expect to be behind the 9th tee on the White Course when totality arrives.

White or Red?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back