News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: LINKS Mag's English Top 10
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 02:46:47 AM »
I haven't played enough of the links courses in England to comprehensively comment. But with the exception of Woodhall Spa and Swinley Forest, I have played almost every inland course of note. So here's my top 10 inland courses:

1. Ganton
2. Walton Heath Old
3. West Sussex
4. St George's Hill
5. Alwoodley
6. Woking
7. Sunningdale Old
8. Sunningdale New
9. Worplesdon
10. Berkshire Red

Mike Hendren

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »
It's hard to argue with Sandwich at the top of the list, but Brancaster is my favorite in England.

John, I hope you're well.  Based upon the opinion of many here it is indeed hard to argue with Sandwich topping the list.   Oddly, I'd put Walton Heath Old and both Sunningdale courses ahead of it by the slimmest of margins. 

For all , what makes Sandwich a near-consensus best in class?  Thanks.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 09:16:45 AM »
It's hard to argue with Sandwich at the top of the list, but Brancaster is my favorite in England.

John, I hope you're well.  Based upon the opinion of many here it is indeed hard to argue with Sandwich topping the list.   Oddly, I'd put Walton Heath Old and both Sunningdale courses ahead of it by the slimmest of margins. 

For all , what makes Sandwich a near-consensus best in class?  Thanks.

Mike

Bogey

Terrain!  And I would say in context of Sunny Old and WHO, Sandwich has far more interesting greens.  I kinda give WHO a leg up in rankings because its the only course among those we call heathland which is even close to the mark....though if trees were whacked at New Zealand it too is in the ballpark.  All the others are heathland wannabee courses compromised by mismanagement.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 10:06:54 AM »
After playing and then reading Ran's review of Huntercombe I am surprised it doesn't get a sniff on anyone's list.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/england/huntercombe-golf-club/

John Mayhugh

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »
After playing and then reading Ran's review of Huntercombe I am surprised it doesn't get a sniff on anyone's list.

Huntercombe is wonderful. The reason it doesn't get discussed as top 10 is because the competition in England is so strong.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »
This is the list from thus Englishman, now living on the other side of the pond.
Very hard to come up with a top ten, but in no particular order:
Sunningdale Old and New
Swinley Forest
Royal Birkdale
Ganton
Woodhall Spa
Royal West Norfolk
Royal Lytham
Walton Heath Old
Hunstanton......to me the most underated course in the UK

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2017, 04:09:49 AM »
This is the list from thus Englishman, now living on the other side of the pond.
Very hard to come up with a top ten, but in no particular order:
Sunningdale Old and New
Swinley Forest
Royal Birkdale
Ganton
Woodhall Spa
Royal West Norfolk
Royal Lytham
Walton Heath Old
Hunstanton......to me the most underated course in the UK

MW-P

I too think Hunstanton is under-rated.  To me it is the equal of it's near neighbour.  But I can't put it above two other courses which are woefully under-rated...Woking and Worplesdon.  Huntercombe too is badly over-looked...same for Moortown and Goswick. However, by far the most over-looked course in England is Kington.  To me it is comfortably top 50 in England and arguably top 25. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2017, 04:20:35 AM »
There are a few inland courses that with tree removal and heather recovery could rise up in rater/GCA poster appreciation.
Thing is though, if they all 'improved themselves' there'd probably be not much overall change - some need to do nothing or get worse to allow others to go up in the listings.
atb

Sean_A

Re: LINKS Mag's English Top 10 New
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 05:09:23 AM »
There are a few inland courses that with tree removal and heather recovery could rise up in rater/GCA poster appreciation.
Thing is though, if they all 'improved themselves' there'd probably be not much overall change - some need to do nothing or get worse to allow others to go up in the listings.
atb

If Huntercombe embarked on a real restoration with trees and bunkers I dare say it would sky-rocket up the rankings. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:19:44 PM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back