News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Birkdale's Doglegs New
« on: July 23, 2017, 03:28:56 PM »
Having played Birkdale 30+ years ago, I had forgotten just how many dogleg holes are on the course. #1, #5, #6, #9 & #10 all have noticeable doglegs. #2, #8, #15 & #18 are hardly straightaway holes either.

Are there any other courses in the Open Rota with that many doglegs?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 07:57:30 PM by David_Tepper »

Blake Conant

Re: Birkdale's Doglegs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 03:51:34 PM »
It's a pretty unique routing, is it not?  The doglegs seem to be a product of the two c-shaped loops.  Those c-shaped loops also provide a lot of variety with wind direction, never allowing a player to get as comfortable with the wind as they may with an out and in routing.

Yannick Pilon

Re: Birkdale's Doglegs
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 07:45:01 PM »

Interesting observation, David.

I am not sure if there is another course in the rota with as many doglegs, but i must admit that i like them a lot. They force players to think about their strategy and line of play. You can't simply bomb it as far as you can like you would on a straightaway hole. It's a sort of equalizer between bombers and shorter hitters. I mean, even if you're long and can carry those corners, you still risk finding big trouble if the ball doesn't quite make it, or if it rolls across the fairway.

Another advantage is the fact that a course with that many doglegs does not need to be 7600 yards to be interesting. It gives me hope that shorter clubs can still be hosts to tournaments and still provide great play without being to tricked up.  :)

The routing, here, is in fact, quite interesting and varied with regards to wind direction. But I think in this case, the doglegs are probably the results of following what the land gave to the architects, and not something that was forced in for variety's sake. You can still make a great routing going in every direction without once having to use a dogleg....

YP
www.yannickpilongolf.com - Golf Course Architecture, Quebec, Canada

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back