News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Kangaroo Island Links
« on: July 07, 2017, 12:03:08 AM »
Looks like another amazing course coming here:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmatuszewski/2017/07/06/could-australias-kangaroo-island-be-home-to-the-worlds-next-great-destination-golf-course/#5ef5a70f79ec

Any information anyone has on this would be most appreciated!

Thomas Dai

Re: Kangaroo Island Links
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2022, 03:40:43 PM »
In view of the currently ongoing thread regarding courses built on islands off the coast of Aussie and the individuals involved - see https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70565.0.html - can anyone elaborate on the status of this development?
Atb
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 04:06:15 AM by Thomas Dai »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2022, 04:20:26 PM »

Holes around the water. Land isn’t flat but not severe. If they keep building courses on land like this I may get divorced again.

Would it take more than two weeks to play all these places? Add NZ to that. I’m thinking it’s a month.

Daryl David

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 04:26:02 PM »

Holes around the water. Land isn’t flat but not severe. If they keep building courses on land like this I may get divorced again.

Would it take more than two weeks to play all these places? Add NZ to that. I’m thinking it’s a month.

Having done all that once in one trip (minus Kangaroo), I can attest to needing a full month. Much better to break it up over several trips over a few years. Much more enjoyable. Hopefully both countries will open to international travelers soon so we can all get back. It’s been a long two years.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 05:02:30 PM »

Good idea Daryl

Having done all that once in one trip (minus Kangaroo), I can attest to needing a full month. Much better to break it up over several trips over a few years. Much more enjoyable. Hopefully both countries will open to international travelers soon so we can all get back. It’s been a long two years.

It’s that 24 hours in the air that’s tuff. Not even including layovers. It’s nice to get multiple plays also to get a feel of the courses.

12 years ago Cape Kidnappers was the only one that interested me. Now they are cropping up everywhere. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 05:18:18 AM »

I did an OZ trip in 2 weeks and yes we were ferrying everywhere during that time. A month sounds great, but who the heck can take a month off of life?  A month sounds so long as well, doesn't it? If well planned you can do NZ and OZ in 3 weeks IM and hit 15 of the best courses. A compromise for golf nuts, unless you are bringing your better half.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Justin Ryan

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 09:22:08 PM »

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 09:36:56 PM »
Given the state of golf travel, especially in Australia,I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have been to have been in Australia for three weeks immediately preceeding the pandemic.At that time Australia had already cracked down on Chinese travel, but it was very normal, with the exception of less tourists.
At the time, as a recent empty nester, I was sure I would make it an annual trip......

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2022, 12:27:54 AM »
Kangaroo Island is 180 km from Adelaide by road (about 100 miles) but it takes about 3 and a half hours to drive there including the 'ferry'.  Don't take the ferry if you suffer from seasickness - it can be very rough,
It is more accessible than King Island, and doesn't suffer from the severe winds of King Island.  Sea breezes yes, and mild maritime weather.

If I knew anything about what/when this development will occur, I'd say.  But I don't, and progress appears slow.  However, the right people are involved to make it happen and to have a good chance of success.

International and interstate tourism is key to this project. Delta and Omnicron will need to stabilise for that.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2022, 07:30:28 PM »
Kangaroo Island is 180 km from Adelaide by road (about 100 miles) but it takes about 3 and a half hours to drive there including the 'ferry'.  Don't take the ferry if you suffer from seasickness - it can be very rough,
It is more accessible than King Island, and doesn't suffer from the severe winds of King Island.  Sea breezes yes, and mild maritime weather.

If I knew anything about what/when this development will occur, I'd say.  But I don't, and progress appears slow.  However, the right people are involved to make it happen and to have a good chance of success.

International and interstate tourism is key to this project. Delta and Omnicron will need to stabilise for that.

If the project is really dependent on international tourism to make it work financially, it's going to be a tough go.  I don't believe that Barnbougle generates more than 5-10% of its overall revenues from golfers from outside of Australia.  Don't get me wrong, Australia is a beautiful place to visit, but it's a very long trip for nearly everyone, so the numbers of tourists are not comparable to those who go to Britain and Ireland.

Most places that thrive, do so on repeat business, and not many people get back to Australia on a regular basis, as I have.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2022, 08:29:41 PM »
     Years ago I took a 3-day R&R to Kangaroo Island to get away from golfing on a month-long trip. I don't remember any land screaming at me that a golf course is waiting in the ground. Maybe the large wildfires bared something.
     I don't think a single course on an island likely would be a great destination, unless it was highly regarded. Likening this to King Island, Ocean Dunes is a good course, but I wouldn't make a special trip, but having Cape Wickham nearby pur it on my itinerary.
     A reasonable itinerary would be a serious golf junket in Melbourne area, then R&R to decompress on Kangaroo Island before continuing on to the major Adelaide courses. There is some Remarkable scenery on this KI.

MKrohn

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 05:21:18 AM »

James B

Guess TB has outlined the international piece, as an interstate tourist who travels a lot for golf, I see Kangaroo Island like King Island, a "oncer" trip rather than a regular venue.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back