News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Hm
« on: June 30, 2017, 02:40:55 PM »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Carl Rogers

Re: Hm
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »
Where is this?

You need to experience the transition from 13 green to 14th tee at Bandon Trails.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:00:51 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 03:05:13 PM »
Probably some form of cheating.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »
Mannys baby, a Flynn Classic.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
I think we have had at least one thread on golf course "people movers" before. There is an elevator on the back-9 at Indian Valley (Novato, CA) that carries golfers to an elevated tee. 

Here is a thread on "conveyance systems" from last December:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63905.0.html
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:54:08 PM by David_Tepper »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »
Probably some form of cheating.

I refused to ride the one going to 14 at Bandon Trails. My caddie hopped on properly noting that I was a douche. (thought bubble)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 04:45:54 PM »
Great course great club. 18 can be played as either a par four or par five. The par four is at the bottom of the hill where you can take the funicular and the par five is at the top of the hill.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 10:05:06 PM »
Manufacturers is a great course; actually it was my favorite find of all the courses I played with Gil Hanse that summer we built Stonewall.  The people mover was out of service at that point, but I was a lot younger, too, so the walk back up to the clubhouse was no problem.

I'm actually working on a course where I think we might need a people mover to get people DOWN a hill.  It's very steep and it goes on for a long way.

If I can find the right mechanical engineer, I think there ought to be a way to get the people mover to return to the top of the hill just from the energy absorbed in bringing people down.

James Brown

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 01:08:50 AM »
If I can find the right mechanical engineer, I think there ought to be a way to get the people mover to return to the top of the hill just from the energy absorbed in bringing people down.

Perpetual motion might be a stretch, even for you.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 03:11:59 AM »

It's not, though, is it?  If people only ever go down, then there's a net loss of gravitational; potential energy through the operation of the system.  It ought, in theory, be possible to capture some of that energy.  Whether enough to return the (empty) cars, seats or whatever to the top is a different question.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 08:48:59 AM »

It's not, though, is it?  If people only ever go down, then there's a net loss of gravitational; potential energy through the operation of the system.  It ought, in theory, be possible to capture some of that energy.  Whether enough to return the (empty) cars, seats or whatever to the top is a different question.

Yes, that's what I was thinking.  It would be similar to having an empty car at the bottom on a loop, that was being pulled by the other car going down.  The added weight of the passengers in the one car would have to be enough to overcome the weight of the car going back up ... should be a simple formula, but it's been a long time since that year at M.I.T.  [Maybe I should call one of my old roommates?]

I guess it would have to have some kind of backup motor, though, in case someone light in weight went down the hill and didn't provide enough force to pull the other car back up.

JESII

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 08:57:35 AM »
Maybe add some distance to the downhill run and have 3 cars with 2 always on the way down.

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 12:58:39 PM »

Take a look at the Wikipedia page on funiculars. The water counterbalancing approach might do the job, although there is energy expended to get water to the top to fill the tank.  The design depends on whether there are always people going up and down at the same time and thus whether you have a two track, two car system, or a single track one car system with counterweights.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicular

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
I think we have had at least one thread on golf course "people movers" before. There is an elevator on the back-9 at Indian Valley (Novato, CA) that carries golfers to an elevated tee. 

Here is a thread on "conveyance systems" from last December:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63905.0.html

That's where I learned to play!

MCirba

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 06:48:12 PM »
I recall starting that thread and I think we may need one before too long.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 08:45:51 PM »
Maybe add some distance to the downhill run and have 3 cars with 2 always on the way down.
Or have a staff person or two with refreshments that can always be there to ride up/down as required. Sounds strange I know, but if given a chance -- say, 30 years or so -- it becomes a 'thing' there...you know, like wire mesh lockers and the Valley of Sin. (See - TOC is *still* the answer to every question ever asked!)

Mike Hendren

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2017, 10:16:21 AM »
I'm actually working on a course where I think we might need a people mover to get people DOWN a hill.  It's very steep and it goes on for a long way.

Are you going over to the dark side with a drop shot par three?

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back