News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

New US Open Trophy Presentation
« on: June 18, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
How about the new format for the trophy presentation?  In years past, all of the blue coats and tournament officials lined up and the USGA president stepped up to the podium and presented the trophy to the winner. This year, Curtis Strange was the media guy handling the interview with the winner and he handed it off to Ms. Murphy, the prez who has had some issues in this role.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kalen Braley

Re: New US Open Trophy Presentation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:46:25 PM »
Very Anti-climatic.  I kinda liked when they brought out the low-am, runner-up, and the champ with the blue coats.

Like the way the Brits do it...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »
I'm guessing that that the USGA decided to keep Ms. Murphy off the stage after she messed up the US Women's Open badly last summer.

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 10:22:05 PM »
I was wondering why the low amateur wasn't there to get his medal as in the past.
Be the ball

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 10:25:34 PM »
Was that trophy presentation in front of the whole crowd, or were they just copying Augusta and doing the TV version first?  I'd be very surprised if they have given up the low amateur medal presentation.

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »
Was that trophy presentation in front of the whole crowd, or were they just copying Augusta and doing the TV version first?  I'd be very surprised if they have given up the low amateur medal presentation.

They had the "normal" presentation on the 18th green after FOX had gone off the air.  It was shown a little bit on Golf Channel, and the low amateur was standing right next to Koepka with his medal.

I think that they were trying to copy Augusta with the presentation that they showed on FOX, but it was so awkward.  Where did they do it, on the practice putting green near the clubhouse?  It was very strange.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 08:04:52 AM »
Tom,

Like you, I'm sure they had the other awards later, off-camera....so as to give Ms. Murphy better time to either learn the names, or allow her blood-alcohol levels to subside. 8)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »
Tom,

Like you, I'm sure they had the other awards later, off-camera....so as to give Ms. Murphy better time to either learn the names, or allow her blood-alcohol levels to subside. 8)

GCA Snarky Alert!!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
Tom,

GCA Snarky Alert!!

Maybe somebody showed her this so she'd lay off the sauce on Sunday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc65NC44dSk

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back