News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

The Sunny Side of the Street
« on: June 18, 2017, 02:19:53 PM »

It goes like this:

Grab you coat, and get your hat
Leave your worries on the doorstep
Just direct your feet
To the sunny side of the street

Can't you hear a pitter-pat
That happy tune is your step, babe
Life can be so sweet
On the sunny side of the street

I used to walk in the shade
With my blues on parade
But now I'm not afraid,
This rover, has crossed over

If I never had a cent
I'd be rich as Rockefeller, babe
Gold dust at my feet
On the sunny side of the street

So, on this thread: please share ONLY those things that are GREAT about Erin Hills, that are WONDERFUL about the USGA, that are FANTASTIC about this US Open, that are COOL about all the new technology/equipment, and that is PRAISEWORTHY about the work of Hurdzan-Fry-Whitten.  No sour grapes, no superior attitudes, no snotty sarcasm, no tired cynicism passing itself off as insight, and please no cliches about what par does and doesn't mean!

With this group of know-it-all crab apples, it might be hard, I know. But let's see who has the CONFIDENCE to walk....on the Sunny Side of the Street!! 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:24:50 PM by Peter Pallotta »

MCirba

Re: The Sunny Side of the Street
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »
Peter,

See the thread I just started.

Great minds...   ;)
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

BCowan

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »
Peter,

Great thread. EH makes me proud to be a Midwesterner.  That's all.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:33:26 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 02:30:44 PM »
Sergio yesterday hitting a 4 iron from a sidehill lie, ball well above his feet, to a right-side pin position some 220 yards away. Something these guys do so (almost) routinely that we can forget the mastery they've achieved in their given endeavour/vocation/sport.
It's great to watch masters at work.   

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 02:34:33 PM »
The discussion they just had about green books (numeric explanation of each greens' contours) makes the professional putting game a numerical exercise rather than a green-reading exercise. Illuminating, I had no idea they had that.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »
Tommy Fleetwood.
Don't get to see him play much, or interviewed.
What a pleasure. What a breath of fresh air. 
The Merseyside equivalent of Geoff Ogilvy

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »
You can get the ball closer and run the ball up and avoid going over bunkers if coming in from the proper side of the fairway -- but dangers lurk there in the landing area on that ideal side/line. Simple design, and the idea is as old as Moses -- but it's all that I need in this regard. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:45:32 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 02:49:08 PM »
I've never been to the Midwest. It's a topography and a sense of space and of healthy fertile land and of straightforward people that I'm not familiar with, and have been pleased to see.
Good on the USGA for getting themselves and the major championship out there, in the open!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 03:21:38 PM »
I love watching the waves of wind in the fescue...never gets old!!

P.S.  I also super love it when Joe Buck keeps his pie hole shut!!  :-*

jeffwarne

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »

I played Erin Hills in 2008.
I loved it and its original quirks.
Great elevation change, interesting use of terrain, semiblind and blind shots.
Reminded me a lot of Shinnecock.
Great place for a major
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »
I played it before the changes as well. We had a great day and I've said ever since then that it would look great on tv and be a great site for the Open. The weather/conditions took away a degree of difficulty but it's still a great championship site and has provided some awe-inspiring, big swatter, flat-belly theater.

And here's another optimistic take: If you like looking at EH on television, there's a pretty good chance you'll be able to tune in tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:12:23 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
Terry,

I have not been to Erin Hills, but for the preconceived notions I had in my mind about the course, it has presented and played far better and more interesting than I was prepared for. My desire to visit and study the course has increased a bunch.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

MCirba

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 04:25:18 PM »
I now plan a return visit to Wisconsin in the next year or two.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
This course has been absolutely covfefe!!
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 07:55:09 PM »
It doesn't play the ground game!

John McCarthy

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 07:59:27 PM »
The ground staff made stars of themselves, as far as that is possible.  The greens rolled like a dream.

Plus I just love Wisconsin.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Brent Carlson

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
Played it twice before the renovations.  Loved the dell hole.  Solid golf course.  You should play it at least once. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
Loved that the Carmelite church, Holy Hill, overlooked the course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Terry Lavin

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »
Played it twice before the renovations.  Loved the dell hole.  Solid golf course.  You should play it at least once.

It's surely a worthy stop, almost halfway between Milwaukee CC and Sand Valley.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:45:50 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »
+1 on the greens rolling like a dream. Remarkably good. Not mentioned enough as one of the keys to the great scores.

I only know EH from pictures and 'video'. I only know Sand Valley from pictures and 'video'. IMHO give SV a rating out of 10, and whatever that rating is add at least 1 more for EH.

That's a course that will age very well - the lines and edges softening, the textures blending -and look more and more itself and less and less like other courses with each passing year, IMHO
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:35:23 PM by Peter Pallotta »

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 08:41:02 PM »
I'd like to congratulate Ricky Elliot, Koepka caddie.  He is one of the coolest cats I've met.  He was recruited from N Ireland to play golf for the University of Toledo and i was fortunate to tee it once with him at Inverness. Such a good guy and great to see him do well. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back