News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

"And second it isn't Oakmont".
« on: June 17, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
That's a snippet of the quote from Johnny Miller regarding Justin Thomas's 63 today and the final five words in his statement which takes on the same tenor as the beginning and middle of the statement. ;D  Well we know where Johhny stands but what about you guys? Johnny did it in the final round at the venerable Oakmont with persimmon woods and blade irons with sweet spots the size of a dime on a setup of 6900 yards and par 71. The weather was not as favorable as Thomas had today but fairly sedate according to reports. His score of 63 was -8 relative to par and he won the tournament starting the final day with a six shot deficit. Justin Thomas did it in the third round at the upstart Erin Hills with a driver head bigger than a coal shovel and a 5 piece ball on a setup of 7800 yards and par 72. His score of 63 was -9 relative to par and he came from five back at the start of the day to get to within one of the leaders going into the final round. Thomas makes a habit of going low often as did JM in his day.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:30:01 AM by Tim Martin »

Richard Hetzel

Re: "And second it isn't Oakmont......
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »
Justin still shot 9 under, which is pretty unbelievable no matter the US Open course. Not Oakmont, but still as crazy good round of golf. Johnny who?
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tim Martin

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:44:39 PM »
Richard-I won't argue with you as it's an amazing round and an incredible second shot to set up the eagle. I am not trying to take anything away from Thomas with the equipment comparison as he played from almost 1000 yards farther. It's an interesting discussion and I would think a formidable argument can be made for either side. I'm shocked that Johnny reacted like he did. ;)

James Brown

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »
9-under par is pretty good anywhere, but JM is right.  Erin Hills is not Oakmont.  Even the best pros in the world get scared at Oakmont.

Two observations: 

1). Erin Hills seems to confirm my long belief that he best modern courses highly favor long straight driving, rather than carefully shaped long driving.  Shaping tee shots to hit fairways is to me one of the essentials of golf. 

2.). I think my favorite thing about watching the Open is that for most of its history it gave us a chance to watch the pros suffer the way the rest of us do trying to shoot somewhere around par.  Erin Hills just does seem to be doing that at all for me. 

Tim Martin

Re: "And second it isn't Oakmont".
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »
It seems that Oakmont at the time was considered the toughest test in the U.S. Open rota until at least the "Massacre at Winged Foot" in 1974. It's tough to put Erin Hills in that company based on the scoring so far.

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 10:03:54 PM »
Johnny Miller's 63 won a US Open. It remains to be seen what Justin Thomas's 63 will do.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 10:04:34 PM »
They each scored 63. The "relative to par" number is just that; it's relative. I don't think Thomas will be bragging that he beat Miller's record even though I absolutely knew Miller would piss on this young man's round. That's Miller. Regrettably all the talking heads on tv we're talking like the record had been broken. It's all relative, I suppose.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark_Fine

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 10:07:20 PM »
Tim,
I think Erin Hills is great and I enjoyed the one round I played on it, but it is not Oakmont when it comes to difficultly, (wind or no wind or even if it was firm and fast as it should be). 

I also miss the fear factor that the US Open presents.  There is a shoot out and putting contest every week on the PGA Tour and it is nice to see the pros struggling once a year.  There was no real fear out there unless you really hit a bad wayward shot.  Maybe tomorrow the wind will kick up but if the greens remain soft it won't matter too much.   

Bill Raffo

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 10:11:54 PM »
It's an unfortunate situation at Erin Hills.  The course was designed to play firmer and with wind.  So, two of the primary defenses of the course are absent and considering that, it's holding up ok. 

The US Open is a brand built on tough, parkland golf. It should slim down the rotation and get back to what it is.

As for who had the better round, the five best scores in the top ten today were, 63, 65, 67, 68, 68 on a par 72. In '73 it was 63, 65, 68, 70,70 on a par 71.  That would indicate Miller's round was better, although he shouldn't be the one pointing it out.

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 10:12:47 PM »
Tim,
I think Erin Hills is great and I enjoyed the one round I played on it, but it is not Oakmont when it comes to difficultly, (wind or no wind or even if it was firm and fast as it should be). 

I also miss the fear factor that the US Open presents.  There is a shoot out and putting contest every week on the PGA Tour and it is nice to see the pros struggling once a year.  There was no real fear out there unless you really hit a bad wayward shot.  Maybe tomorrow the wind will kick up but if the greens remain soft it won't matter too much.   
Mark-I too hope it firms up tomorrow and we get to see Erin Hill's teeth. The lamenting has already begun from the press/analysts that it's not playing as intended. Mother Nature got over on the USGA up until now at least despite it's best intentions.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:43:07 PM by Tim Martin »

Mark_Fine

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 10:24:24 PM »
Tim,
I could be wrong but I am not sure the scores will back up much if at all unless the wind blows 30+.  I think the course has been exposed and the world now sees what the best golfers in the world can do when you let them hit driver.  It shows where the game off golf has gone at that level.  Maybe on the positive side it will wake people up before we start seeing 700+ par fives and 600+ par fours.  We are basically at 8000 yards now.  9000 is not too far away  :'(

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »
There are few champion athletes who do not have BIG egos.

Hogan & Snead were not at all happy when Nicklaus was named "The Best Golfer of the 20th Century."

Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan have both recently said their teams could (easily!) handle the current Golden State Warriors.

Comparing athletic achievements of different eras makes for good chatboard fodder, but not much else. ;)

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »

Champions generally do have big egos - hard to become the best without a TON of self-belief. But I would have a hard time picturing Nicklaus being anything but classy if he had the 63 at Oakmont.

Lots of hand-wringing about the scoring, which I don't get. If you get overnight rains and no wind, it doesn't matter what course these guys are on or how long it is - these guys are going to put up low numbers.

But only at the US Open does this seem to make a difference. At the other three majors, sometimes 5 under wins it and sometimes 15 under wins it and nobody seems to care. But we're supposed to think that this just isn't a US Open because there are guys further under par than usual.

I generally like what I see watching this event. Just as I liked Chambers Bay (haven't played either myself). But between bumpy greens at Chambers and a winning score likely to be around 13 - 15 under this week, we'll see if either of them get another chance.

JLahrman

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 11:23:41 PM »
The US Open is a brand built on tough, parkland golf. It should slim down the rotation and get back to what it is.

I actually thought the PGA missed a big opportunity to better define itself by not going consistently to the newer designs, and leaving the more traditional layouts to the USGA.

I think it would be great if the US Open consistently went to Oakmont, Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Merion, Pebble, et al.

And then the PGA Championship went to Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, Kiawah, Whistling Straits, and a couple of others. Hell throw Valhalla in there too, I won't complain.

The PGA would definitely have more of its own identity. They have brought it to some non-traditional courses. But when they mix in courses like Oak Hill, Baltusrol, and Oakland Hills, it gives the tournament too much of a US Open Lite feel.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 11:31:57 PM »
Johnny Miller's 63 won a US Open. It remains to be seen what Justin Thomas's 63 will do.

Exactly

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 11:46:46 PM »
     Oakmont on Sunday in 1973 did not scare the pros...it was soft because of the rain and as I recall sprinkler watering as the rain was unexpected (75% sure about the sprinkler stuff).And nothing JM says that makes his records look better surprises me...JM is all about JM.  He seems to forget that "records are made to be broken".  Does anyone remember Jack talking about Tiger's achievements that way when Tiger was climbing to 14??

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 11:59:48 PM »
Not many remember that Lanny Wadkins bogeyed the 18th hole and still shot 65 in the final round.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 12:01:37 AM »
Amazing how over time Miller's round becomes greater!  One historical fact that is being forgotten---the sprinkler system went haywire and the sprinklers ran all night, making the greens as soft as if a major storm had passed through!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 12:18:29 AM »
One historical fact that is being forgotten---the sprinkler system went haywire and the sprinklers ran all night, making the greens as soft as if a major storm had passed through!

Even so only four players broke 70 that day.  Today 18 players broke 70. 

Also, even at 7800+ yards, doesn't Erin Hills play shorter than Oakmont did in 1973 -- given how far players in each era hit the ball?

Greg Chambers

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 12:43:14 AM »
The 3 wood that JT hit to set up the eagle on 18 was an amazing shot.  Period.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 01:58:04 AM »

Course setup has a definite role. Today seemed to be a moving day set-up. A  lot of holes were in gathering areas or with backstops.
Justin shot 63 with two bogeys. Johnny hit every green in regulation. And I don't think Miller hit it 305 off the tee very often.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:01:39 AM by Pete_Pittock »

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 03:41:22 AM »
Records fall every day in sport.
Sadly, Miller's  response was highly predictable.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mark Pearce

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 04:17:27 AM »
Bitter old men don't make for good TV.  A bitter old man in a tv booth surely isn't good for golf.  Honestly, who cares, this was spectacular golf and doesn't need qualifying by reference to an entirely different era. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 05:15:44 AM »
And, Azinger did a better job as a commentator today.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 06:01:01 AM »
Here is Miller's final hole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DisSQ8bFS0U

Driver, 145 iron, missed the putt for 62, and tap in for 63 :)
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back