News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Niall Hay

Re: Why Erin Hills was a successful U.S. Open site
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:37:03 PM »
The words commonly associated with U.S. Opens didn't apply at Erin Hills.
[/size]This was no massacre, no bloodletting. Players didn't suffer.[/color]
[/size]There were no lost balls a few paces from the fairways, no buried lies steps from the greens.[/color]
[/size]This was a non-traditional U.S. Open. And despite the drama-free Sunday, it produced a damn good time.[/color]
[/size]"I think it's an awesome golf course," Jordan Spieth said after finishing at 1 over par. "I think that's been the consensus from everybody."[/color]
[/size]Among the moments we'll remember: Justin Thomas blistering a 3-wood into No. 18; Steve Stricker getting a standing "O" from his fellow cheeseheads; standing by the first tee Sunday afternoon as the wind hit the golden fescue just right, producing what looked like the wave. And, yes, a blimp crash.[/color]
[/size]The contrarians are those who hear "U.S. Open" and think it's the USGA's job to torture the best players, not simply to identify them.[/color]
[/size]Would they have preferred bumpy greens to throw putts off line? How about changing the 18th hole from a reachable par-5 to a 520-yard par-4? That would have been sooooooo USGA. Glad the blue coats restrained.[/color]
[/size]They set up Erin Hills to allow a player to win; in this case, Brooks Koepka. It was not configured to make all but one lose.[/color]
[/size]Considering the area got drenched twice and the wind didn't truly howl until Sunday, the course of rolling hills, jagged bunkers and nearly 7,900 yards played just about right.[/color]
[/size]The winning score of 16 under sounds obscene until you consider the four-round total of 272.[/color]
[/size]The average score of the last three winners: 274.[/color]
[/size]Think Erin Hills played too easy? Ask Jason Day. Or Rory McIlroy. Or Dustin Johnson. Or Justin Rose. They spent the weekend watching, not playing.[/color]
[/size]"Not your typical U.S. Open setup," McIlroy said. "But I'm a big fan."[/color]
[/size]Said Day: "The golf course is actually really beautiful. Unfortunately I just didn't execute."[/color]
[/size]So what's next? Will the course within 21/2 hours of most Chicagoans get another U.S. Open?[/color]
[/size]You can count on it, although it could be a while.[/color]
[/size]The USGA is committed through 2026 with a greatest hits collection that includes Shinnecock Hills, Pebble Beach, Winged Foot and Oakmont. USGA executive director Mike Davis said that "in a few months, we're going to name another tried-and-true."[/color]
[/size]Insiders predict Oakland Hills' South Course, a Donald Ross design near Detroit that has hosted six U.S. Opens, will get the call in 2027. Erin Hills should return soon after as another anchor of the Midwest.[/color]
[/size]USGA executives love that owner Andy Ziegler was willing to close Erin Hills to public play in October, taking a financial hit with the payoff of perfect conditioning.[/color]
[/size]Unless Medinah wants to start vying for U.S. Opens again, every Chicago-area club falls short for one reason or another.[/color]
[/size]On the eve of the Open, Davis said the USGA would judge Erin Hills on a curve, given the moisture on the course.[/color]
[/size]"We like a firm, fast golf course, where you really have to think about what happens when that ball lands," Davis said. "But we're likely not going to get that this week. ... We will take player feedback as part of it. We'll use our own observations. Outside the ropes, how did the community, the state and the country embrace the event?"[/color]
[/size]Some days fell a bit shy of a sellout, but each crowd for the tournament days was in excess of 30,000.[/color]
[/size]The spectators I know wish the concessions line by Nos. 16 and 17 had been shorter and pointed to a long delay in accessing one of the remote parking lots, but overall they raved.[/color]
[/size]So pinch a few fairways if you have to. Heat up the greens a bit.[/color]
[/size]But remember this is a public course, where people want to break 90, play in less than five hours and, like the pros, have a damn good time.[/color]

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 04:56:21 PM »
And another good, related story by Golf World's Jaime Diaz:

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-2017-what-erin-hills-got-right
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:08:45 PM »
I will say this.  One way the US open always seems to differentiate itself from other tournaments is how much pressure they put on the best players in the world.  Specifically, how much they challenge the mind set of high level guys like this who are seemingly hyper focused on par...even though we all know its arbitrary. So to not see that this time around, it was just lacking

I'll use a basketball analogy to try to explain why...after these finals, several Warriors talked about how Lebron and the Cavs pushed them harder than ever in the finals, and that they were appreciative of that.  Appreciative of being chucked into the refiners fire to see what they were made of.  Even though the Warriors still won in 5, it was pretty much their view that no other team in the league pushed them as hard.  So in the end, they got to see what they were about in crucible like conditions.

I just don't think this US Open had any of that going for it...

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 05:58:00 PM »
I do not think it is possible to judge the overall merits of any course by watching on TV.  And I quite enjoyed watching the competition throughout the week/weekend.  It did strike me that the USGA seemed to make a decision to keep the green speeds slower than traditional at the US Open.  I say "seemed" because (a) TV does not tell the accurate story and (b) there may have been turf/weather reasons that dictated such a decision.  However, my uninformed, TV-limited gut tells me that if the greens had been quicker, perceptions about the tournament would be different among those who were not enthralled by other parts of the set up.

Ira

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »
This US Open had a lot of things going for it: A nice looking golf course that had a lot of potential peril; a Midwestern location in a State that had never hosted this championship; a deep pockets owner willing to do whatever it took to keep the USGA happy; a bunch of bombers ready to tackle an unfamiliar piece of glacial terrain; non-stop media coverage looking for any kind of feel-good story to fill airtime or space in any other platform.

It didn't get the right weather or the right cast of contenders to produce any long lasting drama. And it was saddled with a third year network that only seems comfortable covering football and auto racing.

Koepka earned his dominant win but the overall championship was rather dull, which was unfortunate. Unless you're Johnny Miller.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:29:39 PM »
I thought the course fairly mundane. Most tee shots were over a ridge, most approaches uphill to a perched green with a punitive fall off to one side. Can't wait for Shinnecock next summer.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »
#EastCoastBias

#GrumpCurmudgeons

#NewWorldOrder

#BeCarefulWhatYouWaitFor

#ShinneWho?

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
I liked the shaved banks which again brought chipping and pitching back. Over the last few years the USGA deserves credit for this.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 11:26:45 PM »
I liked the shaved banks which again brought chipping and pitching back. Over the last few years the USGA deserves credit for this.

Yes, and these would have been much more dramatic if the wind blew for four days and the rain stayed away.

It's folly to project too much about 'lack of drama' or whatever. The course played pretty soft and so the pros ate it up. No one blamed Congressional when it was soft and everyone treated it like an average Tour stop. Sometimes the weather just takes the fire out of a course. And this is better than walking the line on the other end.

Frank M

Re: Why Erin Hills was a successful U.S. Open site New
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 12:22:11 AM »
How are we defining successful? Because Saturday's tv ratings were the worst on record and Sunday's were the second worst on record.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 01:03:39 AM by Frank M »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 05:15:14 AM »
How are we defining successful? Because Saturday's tv ratings were the worst on record ever and Sunday's were the second worst on record ever... ???

That's on Fox, and on the lack of big name challengers who might get people to tune in - not on the golf course.

JWinick

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2017, 06:43:43 AM »
Tom,

I bet if you analyzed the tv ratings by US Open and PGA going back 20 years or so, i bet you see a positive correlation between the site's MSA and the TV ratings.   There's no question that the TV ratings will pick up in the host market, so I'm sure that's why you see so many events in the NY-area, the largest media market.

I agree other factors are in play as well, but my gut tells me there has to be a correlation.

Best,

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 08:03:44 AM »
Lower ratings mean less lower IQ golfers watching-a win.
Eventually we will shed the last Tigerbrought  fair weather fans, and golf can go back to NOT being cool.

Nice to see a course be the test, not the setup.
Of course the weather can trump all.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Josh Tarble

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »
You also have to remember Fox had coverage for 9 hours both days.  To average what they did is rather remarkable actually.  I bet if you broke down the time segment to be the traditional 4 hour window it would be close to every other year.

Joe Schackman

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
I'm no TV ratings expert but don't believe that digital/streaming viewers are counted.

I watched 3-4 holes of the back on my phone and the quality was excellent. That is a legitimate option.

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 09:42:02 AM »
How are we defining successful? Because Saturday's tv ratings were the worst on record ever and Sunday's were the second worst on record ever... ???

That's on Fox, and on the lack of big name challengers who might get people to tune in - not on the golf course.

Here here. For the first time since the WGR started in 1986, the top 3 players in the world didn't make the cut in a major. Spieth continues his rather middling-for-a-star performances in the majors post 2015. No Tiger. No Phil.

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 10:10:04 AM »
No one blamed Congressional when it was soft and everyone treated it like an average Tour stop.

Actually, I think plenty of people did, at least on here.

I don't know if there's a course in the world that can hold up to wet and no wind. I'm bummed we didn't get to ever see how Erin Hills would play in a stiff wind.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 11:37:33 AM »

I, for one, really enjoyed this US Open. There was more excitement on the Saturday, but to be fair, how can one legislate for Koepka going rolling in 3 birdies in the middle of a Back 9 on a Sunday...

The comments on the course being too easy... I think the USGA, correctly, erred on the side of caution in relation to course set up... plus they cannot control the lack of wind / rain at night that softened / made the course noticeably easier. Plus you have to factor in the Par 72 / 70 skew - it just looks worse.

The argument that the leaderboard was weak... I just don't see it. Yes - DJ, Rory & J Day were all missing over the weekend but that is more a reflection on their spotty plan that the course IMHO.

When I think of Erin Hills from an architecture standpoint, it has many virtues that we claim to extol... interesting & significant land movement, no aversion to quirk/blindness, variety hole lengths / par and width/short grass in abundance.

That said, I would have preferred if the course played a tad harder & if Brooks had wobbled a little down the stretch.

Patrick

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »
Is it too much for Fox to acquire the rights to this, and do a few highlight clips so it feels like US Open weekend again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4OlypXALU0

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »
The USGA erred on the side of caution, if they were to do it again, they would set up the course a tad different, hold it August 25th and you would see hard and firm
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 06:56:46 PM »
Did anyone notice that the article cites insiders saying that Oakland Hills will be awarded the next available Open, 2027? That pleasantly surprised this Detroit native.

Niall Hay

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »

Did anyone notice that the article cites insiders saying that Oakland Hills will be awarded the next available Open, 2027? That pleasantly surprised this Detroit native.

Absolutely noticed, also the had not heard that before.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 01:56:13 PM »
A few days back, I responded to a similar thread with the following:

"The Erin Hills routing has too many of the holes that are back and forth, requiring not enough shot making variety from various wind directions relative to the line of play.

The number of ads is awful.  The USGA should demand no ads when the final pairing gets to the back nine.

Fox has so many commentators that they all have to say something and they all say too much."

And I would add to it by saying that the shorter hitting Harman did a great job of hanging in there on a course in which he is significantly disadvantaged.

I agree that slowing the green speeds down is a positive.

Shinny in 18 will dissipate the length advantage.

I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Phil McDade

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 01:59:01 PM »
No one blamed Congressional when it was soft and everyone treated it like an average Tour stop.

Actually, I think plenty of people did, at least on here.

Cough...cough....

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48635.0.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back