News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Turf healing time - Graden vs. Core aeration
« on: June 12, 2017, 02:13:07 PM »
I've seen midwestern bent and poa greens, 5 weeks after Graden de-thatching with concomitant 1/2" core aeration, still with the corduroy Graden defects but completely healed aeration holes.

Why does it take bent greens longer to repair Graden lines than aeration holes? Is it simply the amount of disruption/displacement?
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

John Connolly

Re: Turf healing time - Graden vs. Core aeration
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »
I should add that where I've seen this, it has been on push up greens that are 100 years old. Graden lines were contemporaneously backfilled with topdressing so no gaps were left.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Ben Lovett

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:34:42 PM »
I took over a course in February where the greens were Graden Sand Injected in November and still showing the signs now. Needless to say I will be reevaluating the process in the future! Admittedly I'm not known to apply much fertilizer but the temptation has been there.
On USGA bentgrass greens with a fine contamination of poa in continental Europe

Anthony_Nysse

Re: Turf healing time - Graden vs. Core aeration New
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 03:59:14 PM »
Hard to remove more thatch and get more sand into the canopy than what the Graden accomplishes.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:58:21 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Steve Okula

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »
We do a similar process, Graden and hollow tine aeration at the same time on Bentgrass/Poa greens in a temperate climate. In good growing weather it's 3-4 weeks to fully recover, without too much fertilizer. We did one this year the first week of April and it stayed relatively cold and dry and it took six weeks to get back to normal.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »
Has Graden come to mean verti-cutting in the same way that Hoovering is now the synonym for vacuum-cleaning?
 ;D
F.

PS should we have a new verb then - Gradening?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 09:39:08 AM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Steve Okula

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 10:09:37 AM »
The Graden is an aggressive verticutting unit, with wider blades that dig much deeper than a conventional verticut like the ones mounted on triplex greens mowers. The Graden can kick up an enormous amount of organic material from the greens (or tees) and with sand topdressing it's great for getting the surface firm.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

John Connolly

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 11:18:05 AM »
Steve,

The Graden's a great tool for firmer turf - no doubt. But I still would like to understand why it takes longer to heal than the 1/2" core aeration does. I was directed by a friend to a USGA article from 2007 that compared, amongst other things, healing time for Graden/verticutting and core aeration. They noted the same thing - Graden takes a lot longer. But their conclusion was that this delayed healing was related to lack of sand back-filling. However, current Gradens allow for concurrent topdressing so that can't be the only reason. Any guesses as to why?

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »

John,

it take longer to heal because it removes a lot more material than coring does.

Jon

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 08:02:52 AM »
Our head greenkeeper used the Graden heavily last September, and it healed fairly quickly due to the good growing conditions.

A former super used it in March, and it took forever to heal.   March in SE Pennsylvania is still pretty cold.

Therefore, in my non-professional experience, having weather that's warm enough to promote grass growth is key to Graden recovery.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
Our head greenkeeper used the Graden heavily last September, and it healed fairly quickly due to the good growing conditions.

A former super used it in March, and it took forever to heal.   March in SE Pennsylvania is still pretty cold.

Therefore, in my non-professional opinion, having weather that's warm enough to promote grass growth is key to Graden recovery.

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »
John,

Core aeration displaces a fraction of the material that the graden does. The core itself is also round so turf recovery takes place with a 360 degree grow in whereas the graden process results in turf growing laterally only.

We gradened at the very end of last season then came into this season with a simultaneous core aeration/graden followed by a dryject a few weeks later.  Cool spring meant longer recovery time than I would have liked but the results after grow in have been really good.

Carl Johnson

Re: Turf healing time - Graden vs. Core aeration New
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 09:37:49 AM »
Started a new thread.  https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,73237.0.html
[size=0.85em][/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:41:48 AM by Carl Johnson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back