News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Taymouth Castle GC, Perthshire – New Layout
« on: April 06, 2012, 04:37:11 AM »
I’ve just been leafing through this months Golf World (the UK edition) and there is an article about new courses in Scotland, inspired by the Ryder Cup in 2014. Taking pride of place in the article is the remodelling of Taymouth Castle.

This is a course I know well, having spent many holiday nearby walking the course during the winter months or playing it in the summer, but with apparently so little construction work taking placeacross the country, this did come as a surprise as it’s a few years since I’ve been up there. The course wasn't long, and a par 69 if I remember correctly. A great setting for a course, but probably not one of Braids finest and so one I'd often daydreamed about improving...

From the clubs website:

“Taymouth Castle Golf Club was established in 1925 playing on the course designed by James Braid set in the grounds of Taymouth Castle near Kenmore, situated in the heart of highland Perthshire. As well as being a five time winner of the Open Championship James Braid was a renowned designer of over 200 golf courses, and Taymouth continues to be a fine example of his work.

The course is laid out in the former deer park of the Taymouth estate within the valley of the river Tay. As well as offering some testing holes, the course affords spectacular views of the surrounding countryside including the peaks of the Lawers range, the sparkling waters of Loch Tay, and the wooded slopes of Drummond Hill.

Although the present building largely dates from the 19th century, Taymouth Castle stands on the site of the ancient Balloch Castle which was built in 1550 for Sir Colin Campbell of Glenorchy. Over the years, the castle has seen use as a hotel, a school, a hospital for Polish servicemen and a civil defence training establishment.

After a period of financial uncertainty, in November 2010 the Taymouth Estate was purchased by Meteor Asset Management with the intention of developing the Castle into a luxury hotel and also creating leisure and residential properties around the Estate. These plans include extensive remodelling and upgrading work to the golf course which commenced in February 2011. Taymouth Castle Golf Club is delighted that Meteor continues to support the Club playing on the course.”

The estates website talks of a 7,039 yards from the Championship tees, restoring original design features, especially bunkers and the work being done by Weller Design with Stephen Gallacher.

Here is the new layout and a couple of illustrations, again from the clubs website:

It looks like they are certainly keeping some of the old layout and also bringing the course closer to the river, which will only enhance the Scottish country estate feel of the place.

Interesting to see such a project taking place! I’d be interested to hear if anyone knows any more, or if anyone wants to know anything of the old layout etc I’ll try and help out.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Pearce

Re: Taymouth Castle GC, Perthshire – New Layout
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »
James,

Tray mouth Castle always felt like a wasted opportunity.  I haven't been there for a while but it will be interesting to see if the changes have improved it.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 08:18:53 AM »
Loch Tay is a great little loch, with much hidden golfing history as well as a small little course to its South tip at Killin (http://www.killingolfclub.co.uk/). The course is a great little settler after driving up from England as is just what the legs require after a day’s driving. It’s not a great little course but it has its fun and more so for me it’s relaxing moments. Been stopping off here since the 1970’s.

Enjoy

Melvyn  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:53:51 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »
James B. -

Looking at the TC website, it appears that the course closed last August to begin the renovation project. I could not find mention of a completion date or a date when the course is expected reopen. If you hear anything in that regard, please let us know.

Dunkeld is worth a stop if you are looking to take break driving along the A9. It is a charming town with some nice pubs & restaurants overlooking the River Tay.

DT

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:52:23 AM by David_Tepper »

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 11:28:26 AM »
James

Never played Taymouth Castle but heard some good things about it. I had heard a while back that they were going to spruce up the course while developing the aforementioned Castle into a 5 star hotel. I was under the impression that the hotel development got binned therefore assumed that the work to the course was similarly binned. Perhaps not. I also seem to recall that Anne Gloag of Stagecoach fame has/had a hand in the development but that could be my dodgy memory playing tricks.

Niall

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 12:21:50 PM »
"I also seem to recall that Anne Gloag of Stagecoach fame has/had a hand in the development but that could be my dodgy memory playing tricks."

Niall C. -

I do not know whether Ms. Gloag has any involvement with Taymouth Castle. I do know that, a couple of years ago (2006-07, actually), she was attempting to develop Beaufort Castle (the Lovat estate which she owns, near Beauly) and turn it into a Skibo Castle/Carnegie Club-type venture. Building a new Tom Weiskopf-designed golf course there was part of the plan. Fortunately for her, she never got planning permission to do so. ;)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php?topic=16134.10;wap2

DT  
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 12:41:41 PM by David_Tepper »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
The hotel work is well underway. They (the developers are a London-based property fund) are clearly spending a fortune on the place. I don't think the golf course is getting that large a share of the cash though
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Jim McCann

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
Here's a news item on the Taymouth Castle development that was featured on the Top100 website more than seven months ago:

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/story.asp?id=349

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »
Jim

Thanks for posting that article. I'm not aware of Bruce Weller but interested to hear of more of his work. I'm not sure though that Braid was known for raised greens although clearly some of his better known designs have them but equally they also have greens at grade level. Also hard to square Gallaghers remarks about trying to promote the ground game by building raised greens.

Finally, I also note they are going for the grass faced bunker look in an attempt to make the bunkers more prominent. To my mind grass faced bunkers just helps camouflage them but I suppose each to their own and all that.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 10:32:05 AM »
a few pics I posted up ages ago after a weekend at Kenmore:

Lovely part of Scotland.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 04:20:04 AM »
James

A couple of chaps from our office have been in for a good look around, so we have a photographic file of the new course. It is VERY different from the old Braid layout, but i'm not at liberty to post the pictures here, or even give an opinion.

I liked the old course, but perhaps more for its scenic value than a strategic one.  If you ever found yourself at Taymouth Castle, you knew you were probably having a much better day than the average Joe, so I was often in too good a mood to be overly critical.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ),

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 01:57:55 PM »
Robin

Do you know who did the construction work ?

Niall

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 02:17:58 PM »
Niall,
I am sure it was European Golf Services from Ireland.

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »
Just returned from a holiday in Perthshire and took the opportunity to have a walk round part of the Taymouth Castle course. The course is still closed but judging by the absence of divots and tee markers but the presence of flags, the course appears close to the end of its grow in. It certainly looks more than ready to play to this untrained eye.

A few comments;

It appears they have retained some of the original squarish greens while building some new ones. Over all they are pretty small although not quite Pebble Beach small but certainly smaller than you would expect for a remodelled course of this stature.

Bunkering/shaping - bunkers are indeed grass faced and flat sand bottomed but not in the Dave Thomas style with humps etc but more in the Gleneagles style which I suppose is a nod to Braid.

Tees - range of tees on most holes and bizarrely some tees appear to be bigger than the greens (could be wrong about that - didn't measure). Most are raised rectangular with gentle slopes, and fairly prominent. Very obviously geometric.

As to the holes, I didn't walk all of the course but a couple of holes looked forced, presumably to get extra distance and frankly didn't work for me. 14 and 15 in particular.

Not all bad but a few defects. Certainly worth a play at the right price.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back