News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Pittsburgh-- other than Oakmont. What one course would you play?
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 06:30:15 AM »
Bob O'Connor, aka Schenley Park Golf Course.

I promise you'll never play another course like it anywhere.

True dat.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
I went to Pitt and played my very first round of golf at Schenley Park at age 17.
Be the ball

glenn.hackbarth@gmail.com

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »
As a Pittsburgh native, long removed, I would vote for Fox Chapel.  Wonderful course.  Classy club.  Field Club is across the road, so go for that in 36 hole day.  Longue View also worth the trip.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 09:23:12 PM »
Schenley Park is memorable. (Alas, I remember the mats too.) Amateur photo tour here:

http://photos.newmonumentsgc.com

The clubhouse, which may be the original, may be razed soon, if it hasn't been already.

newmonumentsgc.com

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »
Schenley has a great history and the Fownes family were among the originators/members. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:19:40 PM by MCirba »

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
Definitely check out Sunnehanna if it's possible. It is a terribly fun golf course.

jeffwarne

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »
Paris ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Alex Cameron

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 12:11:49 PM »
Sunnehanna, PFC, and Fox Chapel are all obvious and good choices. Long Vue is less known but you'd probably enjoy it. But to break up the repetitiveness of the thread I'll suggest that you stop at Bedford Springs, which is about half way between Philly and Pittsburgh. Bring your wife but take two cars. You get to play a fun Ross and Tillinghast while your wife hits the spa, then you both have dinner at the hotel. Next morning you head to Pittsburgh and she goes home.

mike_malone

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »
Sunnehanna, PFC, and Fox Chapel are all obvious and good choices. Long Vue is less known but you'd probably enjoy it. But to break up the repetitiveness of the thread I'll suggest that you stop at Bedford Springs, which is about half way between Philly and Pittsburgh. Bring your wife but take two cars. You get to play a fun Ross and Tillinghast while your wife hits the spa, then you both have dinner at the hotel. Next morning you head to Pittsburgh and she goes home.

Alex,

I think the plan is to play Bedford Springs on the way. My wife was born there and I played the course when it was in a shambles in the 70's.
You remember the 70's , right?
AKA Mayday

MCirba

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2017, 10:42:15 PM »
Barely.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:44 AM »

Alex,

I think the plan is to play Bedford Springs on the way. My wife was born there and I played the course when it was in a shambles in the 70's.

Photos from a fall visit in 2008 (wow, where did the time go?!):

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/BedfordSprings/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Alex Cameron

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »

Alex,

The only thing I know about the 70's is that at some point during the decade Johnny Miller shot 63 at Oakmont. It's the only thing they taught us in school.

Tim Martin

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2017, 03:47:55 PM »

Alex,

The only thing I know about the 70's is that at some point during the decade Johnny Miller shot 63 at Oakmont. It's the only thing they taught us in school.

;D ;D ;D

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2017, 04:15:35 PM »
Mike,

You'll get to see the new club house at Bedford Springs. Enjoy the course and the hotel, both of which are national treasures. The course is my #1 Public in PA among the ones that I've played.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/golf/2017/06/18/122-year-old-Bedford-Springs-Resort-adds-2-5M-clubhouse-ron-leporati-david-bradshaw-randy-hernly/stories/201706180097

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back